Do I make a deal with the devil?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Do I make a deal with the devil?

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I received a PM from some higher-up at FTE asking if I would want to 'sell' them my disc brake how-to for hosting on their site.
Hmmmm.
:peepwall:
Opinions?
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Only sell if you retain royalties
Jim
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

wonder if you really want my opinion?
but you asked so here goes
i personally feel they do their best to keep slick 60s and fordification from being linked to or mentioned on FTE so unless it includes allowing it,plus a royalty for every person who reads it in addition to the purchase price i vote a resounding NO.
you would do better having the article printed or put on cd and selling it on e-bay or thru your own website.
i do understand that the article is designed to help others wanting to do the mod but once they own it and later on have some issue with you how will you feel?
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Don't do it.
Last edited by BigTim on February 6, 2007, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Depends on how much they want to pay , Dwight.

If it's like ten bucks, I would say no. If it were a thousand, I would seriously consider it. After all, a "friend" of yours could always write a "similar" article, in a pinch.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

Once you sell the copyright to anything, you no longer own it in any form.

I just went through this on a book my father wrote, and I am now having to go through and write my own 200+ page instruction book because I can't use a word of our old one.

There really are few frustrations like having written something or designed something, and being unable to use any part of it, plus having to watch someone else do whatever they feel like with it.

Whats worse is their ability to sue you or cause you infinite amounts of trouble if they even think you might be infringing on "their" copyright.

be sure you know what youre getting into and are clear about it.
Horsepower

Post by Horsepower »

You could sign a single use contract which says they have the right to post in in one spot on their site. If they repost it you get paid again. And if you wanted to you could sell it to 1000 different places like that. It's the same way with photos. If you took it or wrote it you own it. Just place a copy rite next to you name as the author. you know the lil c with a circle around it.
Comet

Post by Comet »

I agree with JC, with the only exception being that if they have exclusive rights to it and won't let other sites like this one use it in the tech area. I assume this is what they want, so I guess I'm saying no. I don't visit FTE and would like to see tech on this site grow and become THE Slick source. Just my opinion.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Comet. that's where the "Friend" is handy.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I think, if they want to pay you a BUNCH, and pay royalties on hits, MAYBE.

But, I wouldn't trust them.

Check this link, they already have an article, but it ain't real clear.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/13/096/article/Front_Drum_To_Disc_Brake_Conversion_Guide_For_19651972_Ford_Trucks.html
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

I would say talk to a lawyer and see what he says. then decide from there, make sure you come out on top not them. the reason they want your artical is it is the very best one on the subject that i have read. The way you wrote it it sounds " so easy a caveman could do it ".

Lonnie
Last edited by FORDMANLCRACKEL on February 6, 2007, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
ABA

Re: Do I make a deal with the devil?

Post by ABA »

DV65CustomCab wrote:I received a PM from some higher-up at FTE asking if I would want to 'sell' them my disc brake how-to for hosting on their site.
Hmmmm.
:peepwall:
Opinions?
Is Mongrel Motorsports your site?
If yes do they consider your site competion or do they allow you to post links to it?

My impression of FTE is they are not going to do anything that they can't make a profit from and I would have to be pretty desperate to make a deal with the devil.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

If you can't retire off it, I'd say no. But you know how I feel about them. It's yours buddy do as you will.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

If you do sell to them, I would suggest as has already been mentioned, that you sell them a "use" of the article, not the copyright. Make sure you specify and understand what youre selling, and basically give them the right to use the article, with no changes (that you dont approve) but not the copyright so that you still have the right to use the article as you wish.

much like buying a cd, you have the use of the music, but the musician still retains the copyright. (simple form, dont even get me started on what the RIAA is trying to do with music copyright and fair use)
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Before this goes off the rails to a site bashing thread, I might remind you all that as we speak dwight has a workng link in OUR Hints and tricks thread, to an FTE brake swap article. (that someone else wrote)
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Wow, I appreciate all the responses. :)
I have not discussed it at all with them yet. I only received a PM inquiry thus far. I figure I'll probably at least find out what it is they are offering.

On my page, I link to the FTE disc brake article which is actually more for bumpsides I believe. I then built my own tech article on that to address what is different and/or missed by the FTE version. This works as a 2 way street; FTE gets a hit if anyone clicks over from my article, so me linking to them benefits them. FTE, well, gives me nothing right now, but I post the link to my site over there frequently (as do many others) and it sends folks to my site. Which benefits me exactly zero. Which is generally ok by me, though it would be nice if my $100/yr web site paid for itself. I don't really give a hoot if it makes a profit--that's not what I'm publishing it for. Though, by the looks of my bank account, maybe I should. :roll:

I have allowed other web sites to simply link to me for free as a way of using another article I have written (the multiple pages on the Fiats).

My problem with FTE is the rigid censorship/posting rules. While I understand it's a business site and is there to make money, it's so restrictive sometimes it's just uncomfortable. I don't hate the site per se, as I play over in that sandbox frequently enough that I guess I've learned to adapt. I know many of you feel far more strongly about it. I'm not completely sure I want to 'endorse' their site by marketing my work to them as they are now. While I'd like the article to help as many people as possible, I think it's linked enough over there in archived threads enough people will find it one way or another. So I'm not sure what real advantage it is to either party to bring money into it. :?:

I've written and published a few things in the past in paper publications so I'm not totally at a loss at how ownership rights work.

To me, the dissemination of useful information on the internet is the most important thing. If this agreement would restrict access at all, that pretty much ends it right there for me. I'll report back once I know some more.
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

I respect both your point of view and your attitude. I think we all realize that Ken is not the most friendly or intelligent web site owner on the planet. His utter fascist control of what information you are allowed to see is unbelieveable in this day and age and I know it has driven many people to create new and better websites relating to the various models. His unwillingness to allow you to outlink from his forum has created an atmosphere of distrust and even hatred accross our community and I would not want to be associated with that. I had a number of things posted on FTE 4 or 5 years ago and before I was blackballed he sent me a message that said they were his now and that because I posted them on his forum he owned them. I was fortunate enough to get one of the mods to turn me back on for a little while and it was just long enough to delete 3/4 of what I had posted and all my pictures for the articles I had written. This made the rest unusable and so it was eventually deleted. My personal experience in this issue and Kens position on it make it impossible for me to support any action that could benefit FTE in anyway. I have made every effort to let people know that there are alternatives to FTE and we get new members here and on Fordification everyday that leave FTE disillusioned. It would have to be a lot of money and I know Ken well enough to know it won't be. He may kick some money and maybe membership to his "club" but selling your soul to the devil is the analogy I would use. I usually feel bad when things happen to people but if Ken got hit by a truck tomorrow I may actually host a party in celebration. You will do what makes the most sense for you but remember, if he gets control of it you may find yourself with no control at all and may even eventually find yourself blackballed like the rest of us. And finally, linking to somebodies site is very different that selling them your work. It is legal to link to somebodies site and does not violate any laws. Hawkrod
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Hawkrod wrote:I I usually feel bad when things happen to people but if Ken got hit by a truck tomorrow I may actually host a party in celebration.

I, like Dwight, go over and play in the sandbox over there occasionally, walking on eggs and keeping my nose as clean as possible all the time I am there. Sometimes I try and correct the waves of misinformation over there, like Banjo and Pete do, pretty much constantly, but generally I rail on about some #$%^ Chebby in a Ford thing. :lol: It's what I do. :P

However, Tom, if you did throw that party, I think there would be a mile-long line up to get in. There are no shortage of disgruntled ex-members over there,. It has resulted in some GREAT websites, though, Fordification being chief among them. For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction. Apparently , Ken never figured that out yet. Who knows how much money that cost him, someone so concerned about money. Hmmpff. 8)

But back on topic, we HAVE links to FTE right now. If Dwight can pay for his own site with the proceeds.. and that's good enough for him.. then let the chips fall where they may.
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

Dwight, only you can decide if you want to get involved with a man who would skin his own mother for 60 cents if you would hold her still. Of course, keep in mind I had a bumper sticker made that say's " Bite Me FTE" to go in the back window of my 66, so maybe I am not the best one to ask. Thanks, Lyman.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I've met several of you guys personally, but I can say for a fact that if FTE ticked off Lyman, well....that takes some real effort on their part, let me tell you. :lol: