Rear brake question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Ford4jack

Rear brake question

Post by Ford4jack »

Does anyone know how long the push pins from the wheel cyl to the shoes are supposed to be on the rear brakes on a 66 f100. The reason I an asking is I pulled mine off this morning and noticed just the top half of the brake shoes have wear on them. The shoes fit the drums correctly and I have adjusted these brakes up to where they had a little bit of drag on them twice. I have put around 50 miles on these shoes but I looked at the old shoes and they were worn a lot more on the top than the bottom. The part #s for the wheel cyls and shoes are supossed to be correct so I am wondering if the wrong pins got installed at one time or if the wheel cyls part # got substituted to something that is a bit longer.

What got me to wondering about this was the e-brake felt spongy on this truck
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i think the upper springs on the shoes could be weak and are not pulling the shoes all the way back.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Thanks for the input Iceman. I put in new springs etc when I did the brakes. What I tryed this evening was adjusting them up tighter to see what happened. Kind of figured they would get hot but I drove it about 4 miles and could put my hands on them. they were warm but not anywhere near hot. I guess I just was not adjusting them up enough. I will put some more miles on it and see what they do.
Took out the 3.70 gearing and replaced it with 3.00 gears today I am running a 300 with a t18 trans and believe its geared about right now. I can see where a 3.25 would be nice but I dont have one of those.
reeses66ford

Post by reeses66ford »

hey jack call me today and i will tell you.
reese