Putting three deuces on a 292/312 Motor

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64Ranger

Putting three deuces on a 292/312 Motor

Post by 64Ranger »

Has anyone ever done this or can give me direction as to where to find information on doing this?
Thanks
Doug
Riverside, CA
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Doug I have seen a 3 duece setup on ebay before, I think Greg D sent us the link, but there's nothing on Mummert's site or this other one either.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/perfpart.htm

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... e~cadegdha

bet if you surfed around long enough tho someone like clifford or offy has/had/ one.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i have seen several 3x2s for sale on e-bay, almost bought one but there was a shipping issue.
have i said how i hate UPS?
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

JC - I am going to use Vintage Speed for the carbs. What I am interested in is, are there any things that have to be done to the engine to mount a three deuce set-up on it? I have noticed that the crankcase vent in the valley cover does interfere with the manifold, and I was wondering if there was a lower profile one that they use for that.

Thanks for the replies so far, JC and Iceman. I appreciate your input, but I need more info as far as what is all involved in making this change over.

Thanks again,
Doug
Riverside, CA
Model_T_46804

3 dueces

Post by Model_T_46804 »

Take a look at the pictures in my gallery. There are a couple of pictures of my 63 292 with an Offenhauser intake with 3 Stromberg 94's.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Doug.
You are sooooo coooool. 8)
You are my Y-block hero. :D
Drop me a line if you have any questions. There are several of the Tri-Slamma-Mamma fraternity here and we would love to help.
Tri-power forever.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Have not done a y=block but have experience with the fe setup.Should be about the same issues.Let us know if we can help
8) 3x2's are cool :thumright:
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Sorry bout the hyjack but....... Ice, the T is far too cool. I also so saw the 64 Fairlane pic when I clicked on it and immediately started thinkin T Bolt replica till I saw the 2 extra doors. Well, I have babbled enough...............
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Model T...sweet looking setup. Alot nicer than mine will probably be. Did you have any problems with the vent tube at the rear of the valley pan, interfering with the intake manifold. I am using an Edelbrock 553 manifold and it won't sit down on the heads because the rear vent is too high. I was wondering if they made a lower profile vent.
Do you have any closeup shots of the linkage where it attaches to the pedal linkage?

Thanks Skip and Jim...I will be using all of you tri-power guys for info, because this is new territory for me.
Doug
Riverside, CA
Model_T_46804

3x2

Post by Model_T_46804 »

Doug,
The linkage is an Eelco progressive linkage. The center carb is the primary carb and the outside carbs are secondaries. The secondary carbs have no choke, vacuum or idle circuits and can't release any fuel until the butterflies open and manifold vacuum draws through them. It starts and runs up to about half throttle on the primary carb, then the secondaries come in.
With that type of setup you don't have to worry about having all 3 carbs synchronized for it to run right. With the old fashioned setup that uses 3 carbs with vacuum and idle circuits and runs all 3 carbs from idle to full throttle, you have to keep them synchronized with a vacuum gauge or they don't run right at all.
I made the linkage with pieces and parts from other stuff and some 1/4" threaded rod. I used ball and scket fittings on both ends, but I have no idea what they originally came from. I think Summit and Jegs sell them, but mine came from a box in the garage.
I guess there's an advantage to being a packrat after all.
Good luck!
Jim
Model_T_46804

3x2

Post by Model_T_46804 »

Doug,
One more thing... I didn't have any problems with the vent tube. The engine is a 63, I'm no expert, but I've noticed that some of the early y blocks have a tall can for the vent tube, the one on my engine is no more than an inch and a quarter or so tall. The offy intake clears it by a good distance.
Jim
F-100XL

3 Deuces on a 312

Post by F-100XL »

Yes , I ran a set on a 312 in an all black 57 rag top with black/white interior. Ran Offie intake with Stromberg carbs and progressive linkage .
Also had Crusomatic with 3.90 posi rear. Car was strong , but it took me and B & M about 6 or 9 cruso`s before I got one to stick around awhile. The engine was stock except for a set of adjustable rockers from Engle Cams. Totaled the car , towing a car to the nationals in 62 , wish I had that one back , too .
Bill.
XL
F-100XL

3 Deuces on a 312

Post by F-100XL »

Excuse me , I lied , it was in 1960 , the year that Harold Ramsey won Super stock , with Union Park Pontiacs , 6o "TIN INDIAN" . I remember because Thelma , Harold`s wife was riding out with me . The car that we were towing was Alex Jarrell`s National Record holding 58 Chevy J stocker.
Bill.
XL
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

Model T...thanks for the info. My 292 is in a 64 and the vent cap is about the same size as yours. The problem I am having is that the intake covers about a third of that cap and sits right on top of it and won't let it seat on the heads. I was hoping that there was lower profile one than that.

Thanks Bill for the info on the 57 312... do you remember any problems with the crankcase breather on the valley cover??

Thanks guys for all the input...if you think of something else, I am all ears to figure out how to make this work.

Thanks again,
Doug
Riverside, CA
Model_T_46804

3x2

Post by Model_T_46804 »

As bad as this may sound......you could always hit the vent with a hammer.
STOFFER
United States of America

Post by STOFFER »

I have an edelbrock intake that bolts right on ( got it from truck farmer a couple years ago

I miss my slicks
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Re: 3x2

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Model_T_46804 wrote:As bad as this may sound......you could always hit the vent with a hammer.

Indeed. The first tool required in a Ford truck restorer's arsenal..
a :bangin: BFH
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Model_T_46804

3x2

Post by Model_T_46804 »

JC,
I can remember helping my dad (probably in the way more than anything) work on one of our tractors when I was probably abut 8 years old. He said, "hand me the Ford Wrench" and pointed at a hammer. That's one of those things I never forgot and probably never will.
Jim
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yep. it was my dad taught me that working on OUR model T, Model T
Model_T_46804

3x2

Post by Model_T_46804 »

JC,
My dad grew up in the era where he had to depend on a Model T to get around. He never really understood why I bought Model T's, he was happy when he didn't have to own one anymore.
I had an uncle that always picked on me about my T's every time I saw him. One day he said, " If you run across a Model T that's not too expensive, pick it up for me". After I got over the surprise, I asked him what he was going to do with it. He told me, " I'm going to park it out behind the barn and every moring when I wake up I'm going to go out there and piss on it". Him and my dad have both passed away, but every time I drive or tinker on a T, I always think of things like that, that they said over the years.
Jim