toploader 4 speed

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61ford

toploader 4 speed

Post by 61ford »

they didnt make a granny gear toploader 4 speed did they?ive got a guy who wants to sell me a toploader 4 speed i checked it out and according to wikipedia theres not any granny gears but i wanted to double check before i bought it
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

The "top loader" is generally the 4 speed such as you would expect to find in a HO car, like a Mustang.

There are also 3 speeds that load from the top, and the "granny" 4 speeds also.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
61ford

Post by 61ford »

guess i better get the numbers and run them bc i dont want the granny gear he said someone pulled it out of a 80 f150.yea ive got a couple 3 speeds that i can get rid of
Ryan

351w/Aod
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

I wonder if he has a tremec 4 speed ask if the case is aluminum. My 66 had a 302 with one of these in it when I got it. From what i could find they came in some ford trucks from the mid 80s.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Two things. Does the shifter bolt directly to the top of the transmission?
If so, its a regular old truck 4-speed with a granny low.
If the top of the transmission has an inspection plate on top of the casting body and three shift pins coming out of the left side of the transmission case, you have an original Ford passenger car 4-speed transmission.
Take a look and see if there is a metal tag on the tranny. It should be on the left bottom side of the tail shaft where it bolts to the main transmission case.
If you'll post the tag number I can tell you what kind of car it came out of.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Top loader is the term for which side the gears go into, not a description of which transmission it actually is. A four speed granny is a toploader, although not the one most of us think of in that term.

Rich
Bills 66

Post by Bills 66 »

Besure you know what it is before you buy it.

1) Truck tranny with shifter mounted directly on the top
2) toploader from car shifter mounted externally, two differant ratios, two diff. styles big block or small block
3) Fake toploader, 3 speed with over drive, looks just like the car transmission except for a bump on the right side of case. It can be aluminum or cast iron, with external or internal shifters. Used in trucks vans and some cars.
Check out http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/ go to id pages
Bill
61ford

Post by 61ford »

i remember that the shifter is located on the side of the trans and its got the inspection plate on top.so i assume it was in a car then transplanted to a truck and i know it was behind this 351w when it was pulled ill have to check the numbers but ill be this weekend before i can do that.Thanks bill66 ill check that out also
Ryan

351w/Aod
Bills 66

Post by Bills 66 »

If my memory serves my correctly
A small block toploader will bolt up to a 352,360,390 truck bellhousing with only a pilot bearing change.
A big block toploader has a shorter input shaft and requires a car bellhousing.
either may require a crossmember relocation depending on tailhousing and a differant drive shaft lenght.
Both are tough transmissions and would be good for performance use.
The cast iron overdrive would be good for lower performance and economy use with a rear end gear that is fairly steep 350 or higher.
Stay away from the aluminum case ones they are junk.
E-Mail David Kees for fitment I am told he is the man.
Bill
Comet

Post by Comet »

64 f100 wrote:Top loader is the term for which side the gears go into, not a description of which transmission it actually is. A four speed granny is a toploader, although not the one most of us think of in that term.

Rich

Yes, agreed. The term "toploader" drives me nuts. I never know what they are talking about because so many trannies are "toploaders." I know it's a muscle car thing, but truck 4spds are mostly toploaders including the NP435 and T-18s that are so popular in Ford 60s-70s trucks.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
winr

Post by winr »

All your Slicks are belong to us