Why I love my little F100 (no need to reply)

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

douglloyd

ditto ditto ditto!

Post by douglloyd »

Doc said it all. I bought into these trucks because I can fix them myself (with advice from this list of course) spending as much time as it takes, something a professional mechanic can't afford to do.

I drive slowly as well. Not just because I still run manual drums, but because at my age there is less reason to go fast. Also, I am convinced that automatic transmissions encourage drivers to speed, follow too closely and prematurely wear out brake linings in traffic. I like letting the clutch and low engine rpms pull me down for a stoplight. And guess who is better equipped in icy conditions and slippery roads?

My trucks will never be 'restored', at least not by me. But they are in great mechanical shape, run great and get the job done.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Gee whiz, that was great! Well said.

I think I'm going to grab a cold RC Cola and go out in the garage and stare at my truck for awhile. Yes, my fridge is stocked with RC Cola. The best!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

One of the guys at work was telling me I need a raise because I drive an old truck. I simply asked him how much his BMW cost in insurance and taxes and then laughed as I walked away.

My truck may be old, and it may be slow, but the older I get the more I enjoy taking my time to get to my destination.

A few creaks and groans are fine, it starts every morning and gives me a smile every time some one comments on what a fine truck.

That's when I stop and think, how many times does the BMW driver get that kind of satisfaction?

Anyway...

Have Fun!
Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
65 Karmen Ghia (Son's Car)
Iron Horse Bicycle, trying to save some gas money!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

gee thanks Doc, and i thought no one understood me.
i even went thru the same emission deal with my lincoln several years back.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Rustbucket

Post by Rustbucket »

I think we all have been through the emission scam. Doc,you couldnt have said it better! You could have been a poet, I`m all chocked up! Rustbucket
1965 F-100 Shortbed 351W.
1969 F-250 Camper Special
1984 Mustang Convertible
1949 8N Tractor
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

amen brotha!!!

that made me smile.

I just told oinklette today, not 3 hours ago, that I get a big ole smile every single time I drive my '62 F100. Every single time I slip into the driver seat, grab hold of that Three on the Tree, I get a grin that just won't come off.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Apparently a few issues back Hot Rod magazine had an editorial saying pretty much the same thing.
If it weren't for one thing, RUST, I would drive classics every day. Maybe once I retire and can move out of the rust belt I'll be able to live that dream. :roll: I'd be just as happy driving a sixties Falcon or Mutang every day as I would some airbag laden, plastic bumpered OBD-II appliance. I just can't bear to watch the old Ford metal evaporate before my eyes where I live though.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
nuwave

Post by nuwave »

I agree with all of you in the restore dept. There is an insane amout of money in S. FL and you would not belive the stuff people do to the old stuff. I will be happy just getting mine to run well, maybe paint it someday. I am not even going to put A/C in it.

It is real fun to see the guy behind me turn red, blow his horn and flip me off as I mosy off the green light. It used to stress me out..now I just laugh listen to the engine run and gear whine!
jeffw

Post by jeffw »

that brought a tear to my bloodshot eye!! I'll mail you a beer, hell I'll drink to that!! I'm printing that out and puttin it into my F.100 glovebox, so when people ask why i drive,,they can read until we get there,
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

I'm SOOOOOO lucky!!!

My lovely wife said that brought a tear to her eye!!! She has to be the only woman on earth who would allow me to play with old toys like I do. I had an oil leaking old Triumph chopper in the kitchen when she moved in with me. All she had to say was, "can I put a drip pan under it?"

No body else could understand our addiction!
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Nope, your wife isn't the only one. Mine doesn't want me to repaint the truck and fix the rust spots because "It would lose it's character".
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

DV65CustomCab wrote:Nope, your wife isn't the only one. Mine doesn't want me to repaint the truck and fix the rust spots because "It would lose it's character".

My wife said pretty much the same thing once..."if you put on nicer parts from other trucks & paint it, it won't be the same truck anymore". :?
Well...I suppose so, but that doesn't mean I'm just gonna let those rust holes get bigger on me. I want it to look purty! :P
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Horsepower

Post by Horsepower »

Funny my soon to be wife keeps telling me to quit while I'm ahead and get a new truck.......
Then Monday morning her new Pontiac went down..... Just out of warranty.
Go figure.... First it was the security system ...must have froze... Then
after I figure that out it doesn't want to run at all. So after getting a code
reader $235.00 and looking up and down the net looking for info ...I figure
out it has a bad plug boot!!!! $8.00 for a boot? no wire attached!!!! So for 4
days she has to rumble down the road in the farm truck..... (Not a Slick)
and now it isn't right either..... So when she got her foot out of her mouth
she said hey maybe you should get your old toy of a truck finished!!!! It
seems like a lot less work building that old hot rod that it was to get my
new car to start!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I guess the slick can go back into the garage now 8)

But unlike most of you I have to change mine to make it a lil more me if ya know what I mean?

Later
Hp
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

when i got the iron rhino the wife and the other wives cackled "oh he has a money pit" in their typical army wife way. my truck chuged and ran terrible when i got it.

i took off the carb, took the top off and unstuck the power valve by whacking it with a screwdriver. put it back together and fed her some marvel oil. poof . smooth runnin truck.

i spend a couple bucks here and there to keep her runnin. but ive learned from the tank mechanic world that the more crap you have on a vehicle, the more crap you have to fix
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Pure Country

loves them oldies

Post by Pure Country »

Man you nailed it. Have you ever noticed how nice it is to be able to open the hood and actually see an engine? No electronics, no gadgets in general. Shoot my heater was an added option even after my uncle bought the truck. It is the perfect little heating unit too. A simple little unit controled with a knob and the cool part it has a shut off on the intake manifold to turn water off to the heater box if you want to. You just can't beat 'em.
Johnny's 61 F100 292 & 3 on the tree
ABA

Re: Why I love my little F100 (no need to reply)

Post by ABA »

Doc Pepper wrote:
I have no idea why any of you even consider changing your slicks. Disk brakes? Hah! Automatics transmissions? Bah! Automatic backscratchers and nosepickers? Gimme a break. Just give me my SIMPLE, COMPUTERLESS, little old F100.

Doc
Enough said. :cheers:
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
Judi48

Post by Judi48 »

I love it.
Could not have been said better.

In my life, it's the men who have to walk around the motor I'm rebuilding in the livingroom. (Can't do it in the kitchen cuz that floor is reserved for butchering the deer & elk they bring home. :D
We have always had a nice arrangement!
I'm new to this site and VERY happy to have found you.

Judi48
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Welcome Judi48. Here's your set of secret Chebby decoder glasses (c)

now have Fun! :D
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Welcome, glad you found us too. my wife is always glad to hear of other women who own and drive these trucks.if you lived here it would be a moose or caribou, maybe a bear in the kitchen.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I can remember before there were Slicks, the only options on your car or truck were radio, heater and overdrive! And if you told the guy at the dealership you didn't want any of his trucks (color, options etc), he would look at you kind of funny and may even get a little surly 'cause you wanted to order it.
Jim