Rear Brake Question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

H-town64

Rear Brake Question

Post by H-town64 »

Hello Everyone-
I am thinking about having new 31 spline axles made for my 9" rear. I am putting discs on the front with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern and want the new axles to have the same pattern. What can I do about the rear drum rotors? Are there any swaps out there I can use with the existing backing plate for this new bolt pattern?

Thanks!
Justin
1966 SWB F100
1964 SWB F100
2005 F150
1978 Jeep CJ7
bertha66

Post by bertha66 »

You try looking for a 31 splined axle out of a car, I know that I pulled one out of a 69 T-bird that was a 31 spline with the smaller bolt pattern.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Lincoln Versailles have 5X4.5 but they are not 31 spline that I know of. In fact I'm not sure I know of Any OEM cars that came with a 31 spline 9". They appeared in the mid 70s in trucks & 2nd generation Broncos, if I'm not mistaken.

By the time big spline axled, rear ends came along most P-Cars had switched over to Integral Style Rear end set ups. ( rear loaders or Dana/ Salisbury type) That started in 1965. . . . .

Bertha isn't a 69 Bird rear the 9-3/8"ths center, like Lincoln uses?

FBp
Change is the Only Constant
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Several problems with switching, when it comes to these trucks. Not sure what you have for your rearend, but left and right rear axles are the same lenght on my trucks, but seldom have I seen any on cars. easiest is to send some long 31 spline axles off to be cut and resplined. Moser does this for a reasonable price, but shipping may be rough. You can check around with local drag racers, and see if someone local does this. Brake drums may be found that are wider than stock, which means you may want to cut the axles a little longer than your stock ones, to compensate for the axle being set out further for the wider brake shoes and deeper drums. the other option is to just have Moser or someone make you some axles.

Rich
truckerdaddy66

Post by truckerdaddy66 »

Sir,Is it possible to redrill axels & drums to smaller bolt pattern!
I'd like to know myself , FRED NEW CANEY,TX.