66 F100 sheet metal on a 74 F150 frame

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

tomrooster
United States of America

66 F100 sheet metal on a 74 F150 frame

Post by tomrooster »

I have a 74 F 150 2 wheel drive and I was thinking about putting the 66 F100 2 wheel drive sheet metal on it instead of swapping the disc brakes and the power steering. Would that work ? I was planing on pulling the cab and bed off the 66 to restore it anyhow and the cab is already off the 74 [used on another project years ago]. Thanks Tom
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

I think the wheelbase on the newer truck is 4 inches longer than the older truck, so you would need to deal with that issue. Thanks, Lyman.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Yes, wheelbase is different. Means you either live with a larger gap between the cab and bed or shorten the frame.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

Short bed is 2 inches longer.... long bed is 4 inches longer than the 66 chassis. 2 inches you can fudge a little 4 inches no fudge and it look like it should.

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
Fordman

Post by Fordman »

also the 74 is wider in the back past the cab than 67-72 trucks i dont know if that is the same as a 66 but thats what i know one the subject
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

Tom

This can be done and is a popular and effective swap. The cab mounts and front clip will bolt right up. The guys are right though about the frame length. I did this conversion and am very happy with it however I did cut the frame 4". I am not worried about it due to the fact that the shop I took it too routinely builds chassis extensions for log trucks. I removed the front fuel tank and left the rear in place however to get the box to clear the rear tank, It required some spacers between the box and frame. My truck ended up with a bit of a rake to it but that is also the look that I was going for. You don't need offset wheels either, it looks good being a little wider in the rear and I went with 275/60-15s. Check out my gallery for some pics, I am not much of a photographer

Keep us posted
Mark