Michelle's 65 Ranger Rebuild

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

It looks like you will make it in time for SlickStock. I can't wait to see this truck.
It's looking great.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Here's one more with the bed on. Tomorrow I will roll it out side for a few pictures.

You can see my home made paint boot in the far stall.

Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

WOW!!!!!
Jim
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

Nice work Ma'am... That is one fine truck...
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

just looked over your build post, Wow, that is looking really nice. I'm a little envious of the amount of time you get to spend working on your truck!

Simon
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

It's really coming along. It's beautiful.
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I got the door on and aligned. I will get the door glass, latch, etc. and the door panel on this afternoon.

It was hot this afternoon so I decided to finish recovering my seat, one down and one to go. If you have ever tried recovering one you probably know it is no small chore.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

As I get closer to fininhing things seem to happen a little faster. I am still waiting on my firewall insulation but I am trying to work around it for now.

My left side doot is now complete.

The door aligned very well. especially for a forty five year old truck, probably as good as it did when it was new.

The passenger seat is installed. Normally I would not have installed the seat until the under dash work was complete.
Michelle

slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

red and white...so classic
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

I have a question ... were those door zip-pockets standard/optional in later years? My '61 just has the metal panels and I was thinking about buying some for some added storage space.
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

olliesshop wrote:I have a question ... were those door zip-pockets standard/optional in later years? My '61 just has the metal panels and I was thinking about buying some for some added storage space.

The door storage pockets were an option from 61 to 66. The first one I ever saw was in a brand new 61 Uni short bed truck that belonged to two brothers that I went to High School with, that was in late 1960 or early 61. I remember thinking that was the prettiest truck I had ever seen. My 64 I had back in the day had one and it was only natural that I would have to add one to my N series truck. My 65 didn't have one when I bought it. This pocket was given to me by Brian Taylor. I had to replace the zipper and vinyl but the plastic was good.
Michelle

olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Thanks !!! All the more reason to get some.
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
Truckrat
United States of America

BUILD

Post by Truckrat »

Michelle, You have done some fabulous work in a very short time. I am impressed and jealous at the same time. Do you do your own painting, too? Wish I had the time you do to work on mine. Also helps when you start with a really nice truck. Great job, girl! Looking forward to seeing you and it at SS. TR
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

do you have a photo of the shift collar? Mine was originally a 3sp on column and the PO installed a np 4sp. They just cut the column shifter and now it has a big hole in the side (where the shifter went), and it spins around about 45 degrees. I was wanting to see what the looked like. The original 3sp column is still there so I don't know if I can swap on a new 4sp collar or if im stuck with an altered 3sp collar.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Michelle: Tell me more about your paint booth. I'm considering something similar. I'm assuming you use a respirator. What kind do you use? Do you have any ventilation or exhaust to take the fumes outside the "booth"?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Gritsngumbo wrote:Michelle: Tell me more about your paint booth. I'm considering something similar. I'm assuming you use a respirator. What kind do you use? Do you have any ventilation or exhaust to take the fumes outside the "booth"?

The booth frame is from a 11 X 21 Foot awning, I have. I leave out one section of the pipe to make it an 11 X 14 foot since I paint one piece at a time. I bought two A/C filters at the grocery store, the cheapest I could find and duct taped them at the rear of the paint booth. I have a box fan that is in the front to exhaust the paint fumes out of the booth. The solid part of the booth is made from old political signs. If you look close at the botton of the picture you can see how I seal the door. The door is wider that the opening so it seals against the sides of the door framing and with the 1 X 2 laying across the bottom and weighted by the angle iron it is pretty tight. I also sweep ther floor before I start painting and wet the floor down.

Michelle

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

slickmainer wrote:do you have a photo of the shift collar? Mine was originally a 3sp on column and the PO installed a np 4sp. They just cut the column shifter and now it has a big hole in the side (where the shifter went), and it spins around about 45 degrees. I was wanting to see what the looked like. The original 3sp column is still there so I don't know if I can swap on a new 4sp collar or if im stuck with an altered 3sp collar.

I will make a picture of the shift collar for you this evening.
Michelle

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Michelle wrote:
Gritsngumbo wrote:Michelle: Tell me more about your paint booth. I'm considering something similar. I'm assuming you use a respirator. What kind do you use? Do you have any ventilation or exhaust to take the fumes outside the "booth"?

The booth frame is from a 11 X 21 Foot awning, I have. I leave out one section of the pipe to make it an 11 X 14 foot since I paint one piece at a time. I bought two A/C filters at the grocery store, the cheapest I could find and duct taped them at the rear of the paint booth. I have a box fan that is in the front to exhaust the paint fumes out of the booth. The solid part of the booth is made from old political signs. If you look close at the botton of the picture you can see how I seal the door. The door is wider that the opening so it seals against the sides of the door framing and with the 1 X 2 laying across the bottom and weighted by the angle iron it is pretty tight. I also sweep ther floor before I start painting and wet the floor down.

Thanks Michelle. Use any kind of respirator?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

No, I don't use a respirator. I only use the little white mask that covers your nose and mouth. I only paint something about every four or five years. I do have one and tried to use it when I painted my big truck. I found it to not only be hot but an impediment to working. Too much of a hassle no more than I paint.
Michelle

fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

I use an SCBA...works great.
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.