Michelle's 65 Ranger Rebuild

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

I use a disposable respirator for $18, that lasts for 40 hours of spraying, as long as the bag it goes in is sealed. I paint a lot of parts for my friend so I really need one.

By the way, what type of paint do you use? I usually use DuPont, but I was wondering if people prefer DuPont over PPG or the other way around.
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I live in a small town with only one parts store. They happen to be a PPG dealer so that is what I use. I use acrylic enamel, PPG's omni, it is easy and fairly forgiving.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Michelle: Thanks for the info on the booth. I apologize for "hijacking" your excellent thread. Didn't intend to, probably should have PM'd you for details. Again, sorry.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

Keep the pics coming Michelle. It is looking great
Mark

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I have great news. I finally got my firewall insulation after ordering it nine weeks ago. I finally cancled my order from AutoKrafters this past Friday and ordered it from DC. The UPS man delivered it today. I will be driving my truck by Sunday. I will post some pictures tomorrow.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Tomorrow is the big day. I will start my truck for the first time since March. With the help of friend I got the windshield in after much agitation. If you have never put one in before with the chrome, you have an exciting time in store for yourself. If you put the rubber on the windshield first and then try to add the stainless it wants to come off the windshield, if you put the stainless in the rubber first you have a devil of a time putting the rubber on the windshield, and as you put it on the stainless starts to come off. But with much patience it can be done. Tomorrow I will add coolant to the radiator and start the truck. The only major things I have left is the hood, drivers seat, steering wheel, and tailgate. I still have a few loose ends to tie up, like a clamp here and there, wiper blades and trim pieces and a good compounding but for the most part it will be done. BTW, I think I will be through in time for Slick Stock.

Michelle

fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

I LOVE that truck.....but I HATE those wheel covers....
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

That is one fine looking Ranger! I agree with firetruck about the wheel covers , but it is your truck and so pretty that the wc's are not an issue. I hope one of those loose ends you spoke of is to add a master cylinder! :lol:
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Lordy that is pretty!
Sounds like you will have it wrapped up pretty soon - congrats!
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Wow. that turned out beautiful.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I think that adding a master cylinder would be a good idea.
Your truck looks better and better all the time.
I can't wait to see it at SlickStock.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

And don't forget the fender badges. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

so is this the best procedure for installing a windshield with the chrome??

if you put the stainless in the rubber first you have a devil of a time putting the rubber on the windshield, and as you put it on the stainless starts to come off. But with much patience it can be done
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

slickmainer wrote:so is this the best procedure for installing a windshield with the chrome??

if you put the stainless in the rubber first you have a devil of a time putting the rubber on the windshield, and as you put it on the stainless starts to come off. But with much patience it can be done

The best way to do it is to take two saw horses and cover them with a blanket to lay the windshield on so you dont scratch it while installing the rubber. It is best to have two people because one person just does not have enough hands. It is also a good idea to have some tape to help you hold the rubber when you finally get it in place. I try putting the rubber on the windshield first and then try and work the stainless in, the rubber will come off while you are doing this but be patient and as you work the stainless in try and get the rubber back on the glass. Play with it a bit and you will find what works best for you.
Michelle

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Don't worry guys, I am not going to drive off and forget I don't have a master cylinder. I have numerous small things that have to be done before I drive it out the drive way, I just didn't want to take the time to list them all. I will be posting more pictures this evening.
Michelle

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I had planned on posting some more pictures this evening. As it turned out I never made them. I installed the master cylinder, so now all of you can rest easier, I even bled the brakes, so I now have stoping power. When I tried starting my truck today I had trouble starting it. It did not take long to find the problem. My fuel pump was not working. I went to the auto parts store to buy a new one and they had to order it. I did however have a FE fuel pump for a later model that fit and I put it on and jerry rigged a ruber hose fuel line to the carb so I could hear it run. I could use the fuel pump that is on it but I would have to bend my fuel line severly to make it work. So I have opted to get the correct pump. I did finish my interior today.
Michelle

Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Closest I can get to hearing mine run right now is to sit in the cab, place my hands where the wheel & shifter 'aren't' and go "Vroom Vroom", lol.
Good deal Michelle.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Good decision on the fuel pump!
And I like the wheel covers. Are they the originals on your truck? I do not know if any were Ranger specific.
Jim
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

jakdad wrote:Good decision on the fuel pump!
And I like the wheel covers. Are they the originals on your truck? I do not know if any were Ranger specific.

The hubcaps that are on my truck were made from 1966 to 1971. They were Ford's high end caps. I have seen very few of them on trucks, I guess because of the higher cost. I bought a new Ranger in 1969 and it had these caps on it. When I sold the truck I kept the caps and have had them in a box until I put them on this truck. So while that are not correct for 65 they could have been on a 66.

I got the correct fuel pump today. The one with canister type fuel filter on the bottom of the pump. BTW the truck started right up with the new pump.
Michelle

jakdad

Post by jakdad »

:rocker: :rocker:
Jim