How do i sync the trans

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Swimholm

How do i sync the trans

Post by Swimholm »

i took out the gearbox over the weekend to do some work, and when i put it back in i must have gotten the gears out of sync.

now the shift (3 on the column) wont go into any gears.

I guess the gears are out of sync, so how to i get them back on track?

Thanks
-Dave
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Hello Dave
Try taking the shift rods loose from the transmission then get the transmission in neutral by turning the output and shifting the selectors on the side of the transmission until there both in the center click of travel. Then see if rods will fit back without adjusting them.
you might have gotten the rods crossed.

Good luck

Make sure your shifter on the column in in nuteral when you hook them up also
Last edited by Ford4jack on February 19, 2007, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

What has happened is common, and is easy to fix. The front shifter has moved into gear while the rear shifter is already in gear - or vice versa. This also happens when the shifters are out of alignment, and at a stoplight you end up cross-shifting them so that you have to crawl under the truck to get it to shift again. This is most common with rotted out front cab supports.

You have to manually shift the gear levers on the side of the transmission back into neutral, and then it will work fine again.

Make sure the truck is blocked, with the parking brake on. You may find it necessary to unload the drivetrain pressure or tension from the driveshaft to be able to move the shift levers.
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

Did you take the side cover off the trans? If so you may have move the sychro in the trans just move the sychro to the middle of the gears and see if the driveshaft will turn if so great put the cover back on and check if the driveshaft still turns and bolt it up.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
douglloyd

banjopicker's got it

Post by douglloyd »

Gotta love the three on the tree - 40 year old sloppy linkages and worn syncronizers and all.

This happened more times to me than I'd like to remember, usually at intersections. Also when you shift over uneven ground or hills.

I'd kick in the clutch and pick a parking spot, then block the wheels REAL GOOD because like the man said, you're likely going to have to crawl underneath.

First check your shifter forks at the base of the column - sometimes you can yoink things loose from there. If you've really stuck it good, block the truck and go down under after the shift levers on the side of the tranny. Usually one will be free and one won't. Work through combinations and rock the truck until they free up.

Won't always work though. I've driven home in first more than a few times. Fixing the cab mounts gets a whole lot more important when you're leading a parade<g>

Doug