Styleside bed styles

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

douglloyd

Styleside bed styles

Post by douglloyd »

All,

I don't want to build a Frankenford<g> or a Johnny Cash Cadillac, but I might have to marry up a '63 cab to a '66 box.

Tried searching for this but no luck. We have grille diagrams by year, but nothing for bed styles.

I have a spare bed (short bed, styleside) from a '66. Other than the chrome trim, how different is the styling from earlier years? Really noticeable?

thanks,
Doug
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Doug if you are working with a shortbox frame, you are golden.
difference between a 63 shorty and a 66 shory is 114" to 115", and that is in the 1" more wheelbase Ford added, when they moved the front axles forward, in '65 when they went to twin I beams.

In other words, it works like a charm. '66 matches the Slick body lines, '63 box matches the '57's body lines. the 64-66 box is the same, virtually for 64,65 and 66. minor differences in the floor and tailgates dont really mean much. if you use an older cab on a twin I frame you will have cab mount issues, tho. if you are putting the newer box on pre-65 frame you are in biz.

if you need some pics to guide you along, I always find the year-searchable galleries at FTE indispensible
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/index.php

wish ours could be like this.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i was going to write one up but ms word kept irritating me, does not like my words and when i make a mistake its too hard too fix as it keeps eating the next letter as i type.
so i will have to do a long post on the cab/bed differences instead.
i hate microsoft.

my wife came along while i was reading the last post and had to see what the
pic in JCs signature looked like.i told her ok but if you feel like puking, go somewhere else. :rotflmao:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:my wife came along while i was reading the last post and had to see what the
pic in JCs signature looked like.i told her ok but if you feel like puking, go somewhere else. :rotflmao:

You can tell her that if she thought that pic looked amateurish and Jimmy-rigged, that that was EXACTLY the point, too. :D
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..