easy rust removal from fasteners

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

easy rust removal from fasteners

Post by dotcentral »

I have a few buckets full of fasteners, most pretty greasy, rusty, and/or covered with various colors of paint. I trick I have been using with good results is soaking them for a few days in vinegar. If the parts have been degreased, that works the best and fastest. But if allowed to soak long enough, the vinegar seems to work around the grease and get the rust and take the paint off as well. I put a bunch of fasteners in a mason jar, cover with cheap vinegar, put the lid on and let set. I usually get a kind of rust colored foam on the surface of the vinegar after a couple of days. Most of the rust is either off the part, or comes of easy with a quick pass with a wire brush. Then I wash, rinse, and hit with a coat of rustoleum spray paint.

I got this trick from the Hamb board. /I have had good results with parts like nuts, bolts, clips, etc. I have tried sheetmetal parts but apparently the things I have tried (valve covers, headlight doors) had a lot of hidden rust because they came out of the either to thin, or looking like swiss cheese.

I guess someday when I have more garage space and money I might buy a tumbler, but until then this works pretty good for me.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

we have a little beadblasting cabinet, works wonders on just about everything.

I've never heard of using vinegar, neat trick, i might have to try that for the heck of it.
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Thanks for the tip. Makes sense, weak acid solution.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

you could also use the dishwasher as long as the wife dont find out :D lol j/k I have been thinking about a tumbler they have been on sale pretty cheap at harbor freight, anyone ever try one of them?
winr

Post by winr »

After sanding down rusty valve covers and other sheet metal, I also use vinegar to remove the rust.

I wash them off and quickly wipe them down a few times with laquer thinner or they will rust really fast.

On big stuff like intakes, I degrease them first then soak them in diluted muratic acid (swimming pool acid) until they are rust free.

I wear gloves, googles, respirator with screw on filters and make sure nobody can get around the container, also make sure there is ventilation.

Richard.
All your Slicks are belong to us