Tie Rod Relocators

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mcarlson11

Tie Rod Relocators

Post by mcarlson11 »

IM just about done lowering my front end with drop beams. I cant figure out how the tie rod relocators are supposed to work. I am using the AIM brand "c" shaped relocators. I need a picture of both passenger and drivers side to see how they are supposed to work.
65 F250 Custom cab, camper special. 352,4spd floor shift, dana 60 posi lock, power disc brakes in front, power steering, and fun to drive.
mcarlson11

Post by mcarlson11 »

not one of you has a lowered truck? come on I know some of you guys are weed wackers. I would like to get my rig back on the road come sunday. I just need help with the tie rod relocators.
65 F250 Custom cab, camper special. 352,4spd floor shift, dana 60 posi lock, power disc brakes in front, power steering, and fun to drive.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

sorry, i know nothing about lowering, i see your ? was not answered at fordification either, i did a search over there and your post was the only one on the relocators that came up in the results.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Comet

Post by Comet »

I used a different type of relocator. I don't know what the AIM one looks like. Take a pic and maybe I can help.
Mine just bolted on to the spindle (underneath)and the tie rod bolted on to it. Pretty simple.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

They go between the steering arm and your tie rod. Should be simple enough to install. Is one end threaded? If so that would be the top and it is bolted under the steering arm, the tapered hole end is the bottom and you install the tie rod end just as you would to the steering arm.
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
mcarlson11

Post by mcarlson11 »

This is what they look like. They have no instructions. \

My original tie rods go into the spindle arm from the top. The hole is tapered so they can only go that way. I can make the driverside tie rod go in from the bottom, but the passenger side is integral with the drag link, so It cant be done there.I have tried everywhich way possible, and when using the tie rod relocators, the tie rod "rod" will always be in a position to go right into the radius arm.

On the relocators, the tie rod is supposed to go into the fat part. and im guessing the part directly above that bolts to the spindle arm. I dont know what the other little tab is with a hole is for. They came with a smaller bolt to go through this as well.

picture is located here: http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19395
Comet

Post by Comet »

Wow! Those are huge! Mine are about 2" x3" and machined. I like how they turned out so far.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
mcarlson11

Post by mcarlson11 »

any ideas for what to do?

The problem is that the original tie rods go into the spindle from the top. The spindle arm is machined with a taper, and can only go one way.

Since I used drop beams, the spindle and spindle arm are 3 inches higher. The tie rods cant go into the top anymore, but they wont fit from the bottom either. Any body have any solutions or ideas?