Thoughts about motorcycles

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Ford4jack

Thoughts about motorcycles

Post by Ford4jack »

I was sanding on my grill last night and letting my mind wander. Got to thinking about the motorcycles I had thru the years and figured I would see what y'alls memory's of motorcycles were. Something like best street,dirt,worst crash etc. I have had 50 something bikes thru the years about half were Bultacos a few Triumphs and a few euro and jap bikes.

The street bike with the best fun factor for me was a Triumph T120R basically a street legal (sort of) bike set up as a canyon racer. I had 3 years worth of time,money and effort in it at a time in my life when my skill level and reflexes were at there peak.

Best dirt bike was a 98 Honda CR500 the only dirt bike I ever bought new.Very fun bike but a handful in the woods. This was the bike I needed when I was 24 and out west not 44 and in TN

Worst crash was a head on with a VW dune buggy at the age of 16 they had to tow the buggy, bike and me away from that one. It was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in the sand dunes. i figure my speed was about 50 at impact not sure on the buggy but it broke a front wheel & spindle off of it. Worst part was the bike a Yamaha 125 belonged to a friend of mine. it was beyond totaled the impact even broke the center cases of the engine. It didn't do my back a lot of good ether.

My advise to young people wanting a street bike is get a dirt bike and learn to ride it well. The reactions you learn in the dirt will save you on the street.

Now I just have an old four wheeler that I putt around on but its fun and my border collie enjoys herding me around when I ride it.
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Only motorcycly I've owned, (if you want to call it one) was a Honda mini trail 50, when I was a kid. Now I have a Arctic Cat 4 wd ATV and put it through hell during hunting season.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Back in the 70's I bought fixed and sold bikes on teh side, as a hobby. I had 14 at one time, mostly smaller jap bikes at the time, but have had several Harleys, triumphs, Nortons etc. . My worst accident was with a train. I had just rebuilt a 750 Honda street bike, and lived on a street with a railroad crossing, with track running at an angle to the street. First time out with the bike, and was running down the street toward the tracks. Listening to motor for any sign of miss or noises. Nice summer day, everyone out in the front yard, wife talking to a neighbor, and lots of people around. I had the baffles out of mufflers on the bike, and had my head turned down to listen to the right side, checking carb settings, and didn't hear the train horn. The trin was coming from an angle to my right, more or less parallel to me, but angling towards me. My wife was screaming, but I didn't notice. As I passed the last house before the tracks, and was about 100 feet from the tracks I saw the train. Iwas running about 50 mph. Luckily there was a rise to the tracks which helped. I turned the bike sidways and layed it down. When I saw I was going to hit the train, I kicked the bike, and clawed the pavement. I think there are still claw marks there. The bike bounced off a wheel on the train, and was not really hurt to badly. Mostly it just hurt my pride having everyone see it happen. I took that as an omen, and dismantled the bike, and used the motor on another one. Other than some road rash, I cam out unhurt, as I stoped about 10 feet from the train.

Rich
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I think of motorcycles lke this.
They have 2 wheels, they fall over. 5-6 months of the year they are of no use in Canada. My kid's hockey coach, a 30 year veteran rider, is now a walking Vegetable because he fell off his Harley, sliding in the left-over gravel (from winter) on the road.
Thought process, closed.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

I have a 1957 Triumph T110 and am building a 1959 Sportster. I used to ride the Trump on a regular basis. Very fun to ride but not very comfortable on long distances.

Every time i swing a leg over it, I strap on an attitude that everyone is aiming to KILL me. In the days of autmatic parking cars, cell phones and stereo systems so powerfull they can affect vision, it pays to be extra cautious. Bike riding is dangerous and just when you feel comfortable and complacent that you know what you are doing, you will be "corrected"
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I remember being at a hot-rod show about 3-4 years ago and they had a bunch of Hogs on display there. The first one I looked at the price tag on was $32,600.00 :shock:
More than sticker-shock, it was Sticker atomic bomb, so I turned around and went back to the hotrods. Never ever looked at a price tag with the thought of buying a motorcycle after that, or even a T-shirt that advertized them, including when I was at the Harley Plant in York last year. The chances of my owning one of those, or a new Rolls Royce or an Ocean Yacht or a pink tutu or a Britney Spears record are all the same.
Non-existant, mutiplied by 20.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Bills 66

Post by Bills 66 »

The bke I rode the most was a BMW 750R. Put 20,000 miles on it in one year in the Boston area. Most fun was a 1950 Harley 45, A real grin to ride suicide clutch, tank shifter and spark advance on the left grip.
Fastest top speed was a Harley KR, a daytona bike. I have had many others.
Currently a old Goldwing.
The worst wreck was coming off a highway hit the exit ramp at about 55 and they had swept the road that day and left a pile of dirt in the middle of the lane, laid it down and slid into the center curb where the Beemer flipped away as I continued to slide down the road. Picked up the pieces and rode it home.
Bill
Willy_B

Post by Willy_B »

26 years ago I was run off the road and took on a telephone pole head on :oops: . Managed to jump before the bike hit and smacked my shoulder up on the pole.

Realized my party days and motorcycles didn't go well together. About three Years ago I bought my HD electraglide and love every minute riding it. Ride to work, Gocery store, Lakehome, and everyplace else I go. Put about 10,000 miles per riding season on it. :D
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

I love Scooters, Especially the ones from the Milwaukee Iron Works. Having said that, I have had my Fill of Motorcycles for a while now.
Saturday was a giggle I hear. Spring Breakers in BiKiNiS showed up while Bike Week had 2 days left. . . . . cheerleader.gif nuts.gif :rocker: hurrah.gif butbut.gif cheerleader.gif

:shock: 500,000 of them just left here Sunday & Yesterday, :hello: :roll: hurrah.gif

YUP! 1/2 Million Bikes 1,000,000 people and point.gif about 25,000 -30,000 true Bikers in the lot. . . :hm: :dontknow: shrug.gif :rotflmao: wave.gif

Bye Bye Beach Bikers Bye Bye wave.gif hurrah.gif wave.gif

FBp shrug.gif Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I wasn't able to buy a bike in my younger days & honestly, that's probably the only reason I'm still here. I raised enough hell as a teenager in my truck, a bike would have probably made me dead.

I finally got my first one at age 28, a used 82 Yamaha 650 Maxim. It was a fun little bike. I briefly had a 750 Virago...what a lump!
I sold both those one year when money got tight, went bikeless for a couple years, decided I really wanted a bike again & bought one.

I got this one in 1996. The previous owner had blown a turn in a canyon & the bike spent the night underwater...hence the name...

The AQUAMAX! :D

I've put 53,000 miles on it since it got pulled from the lake, including a couple mild lay-downs & one re-paint during that time. I quit riding it a couple years ago, because the engine's finally gotten tired & it's time for a rebuild. :D

I've ridden quite a few bikes through the years, including one with no forks...

...but nothing's quite like a V-max. :notworthy:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

I used to race moto cross, flat track, and TT back in the 70s, had a lot of crashes but never broke anything worse than a finger. Thinking back though there were a lot of different bikes back then. Names you don't hear anymore, Hodaka(sp), Penton, Rickmans with the Zundap motors, and a nother name previously mentioned, Bultaco. Wow this thread really takes me back.

Funnest bike I ever owned was a Suzuki PE 250 Enduro in the mid 80's. Bike was hot for its time. Baddest dirt bike I ever rode, Yamaha YZ 426, Hang on. Baddest street Bike I was ever on was a VMax, I think. Was the VMax the one that would run a 10 or 11 second 1/4 out of the box? This is still in the 80s.

Currently I concur with JC on owning a bike, I need 4 wheels under my fat azz.
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Looks like most of y'all went street bikes. I feel very fortunate to not have gone down hard in the few years that I was acting a fool on the pavement. Its still in my blood though. We live off a nice twisty hilly hwy here and when the young lads are out on there crotch rockets I get the same look as my dog does when he sees a herd of cows.

Its amazing what you can buy off the showroom floor at any dealership now days. But if I get another bike it would have to be a antique one just to tinker with. Something out of the 20's or 30's would be nice
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

BigTim wrote:Baddest street Bike I was ever on was a VMax, I think. Was the VMax the one that would run a 10 or 11 second 1/4 out of the box? This is still in the 80s.

Yep, they had the title of fastest production bike for something like 5 years there. It's a blast to ride & I'll tell ya, you never run out of throttle! :D
Twisties can be interesting, but you just have to apply a little body english & you'll be fine.

A few years ago, I found this little CT70 at a yard sale, in 3 separate buckets. :? I spit shined it & replaced any of it's ailing parts...but by the time I got it back together, my kids were all too big for it.
It's been about 30 laps around the block one summer, then I cleaned it back up again & put it in the front room for a conversation piece. :D

I put a piece of cardboard under it for a couple weeks, in case it leaked...it doesn't. The orange is still it's original paint, the wheels are repainted. :mrgreen:

FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

I was going along I-95 at 77-78 mph when I got passed by
a guy in a full wheelie at about +80 degrees to the pavement,
going maybe +40mph to what I was doing :shock:

It was a green crotch rocket. When he went by a gaggle of
Hogs in front of me they flipped him off & threw stuff at him
which I had to dodge in the road with my Van. . . . . down_1_Revan.gif cuss.gif down_1_Revan.gif shrug.gif

What's Up With That Insane-Nutty? nono.gif :hm: s_crazy5.gif

Y'all gotta remember I like Motorcycles & owned several!
But I don't believe I care much for many people riding them anymore. :cry: cry.gif nono.gif

FBp Bolt.gif
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

FORDBOYpete wrote:What's Up With That Insane-Nutty? nono.gif :hm: s_crazy5.gif

Guys like that are just in a hurry to be organ donors. s_crazy5.gif :stick:

Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

Yep there's fun and there's stupid. sounds like you witnessed stupid on I 95
I allways enjoyed playing on the back roads or hwy 1 between the county line and big sur in CA.
Get back and have the pegs a bit shorter and my shoes beveled but ALLWAYS follow the stay in your own lane rule and dont screw around in traffic.
The relaxation you get after pushing your concentration to the edge is better than any drug you could take IMHO
kid2

Post by kid2 »

I have ridden off and on for the last 30 Years, had more Harleys than anything else. I was riding Harleys before it was a cool thing to do. Most of the guys who ride today looked down their nose at me then cause of my looks and that I was on a Harley. I only have a few Freinds who still ride and I will buy another bike when I can afford to pay cash for it so I am not making payments on my Toys. One of the coolest Choopers I had was a 650 BSA in a Hard tail frame with a Springer front end. Had a 59 Pan in a rigid frame and a girder. Had a 750 Honda old School chopper that had the neck and frame stretched. Had several Sportsters, a 69, 76, 80, and had my Brothers 92. Had a couple of Triumps and a Norton and a 650 Yamaha, 850 Suzuki, 450 Honda, 125 Honda, and a few others,I am always looking for a bike and when I find the right one I will buy it. I looked at a New Triump and it looked pretty good. If any body comes across a old BSA or something old let me know.......Kid
65 f-100, Mostly Stock
64 F-100, 4in roof chop and on a car frame
64 F100, Project, not sure what to do with it
61 Long Uni project
79 F-250 Super Cab Long Box
74 Duster, Future Project
Dropped,Chopped,Tubbed,and Stubbed is the way to go

It is easier to ask Forgivness than to ask Permission
themickeyd

Post by themickeyd »

I started riding and racing ATV's, one year I was 4th in State in my class of Ice racing and I only raced half the season. I converted over to street bikes and use to piss off the other medics on the ambulance service I was on by responding to accidents on my bike. I have ridden all sorts of bikes since then and found I like something about each one of them. Currently my ride is a 99 Yamaha Royal Star with a sidecar so my 2 year old can ride with me.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." Lao Tzu (570-490 B.C.)
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Kid, some of those bikes sound fun. There's one thing I've never understood though, how in tarnation can you chopper guys stand to ride a chopper?? :lol: Trying to get a V-max to corner is bad enough, let alone a chopper. :shock:

Mickeyd, that's a nice looking Venture, I'd prefer one of those over a Goldwing if & when I ever get into big bike mode. I haven't tried a side hack yet, I bet they take some getting used to at first, huh? :D

Any of you ever ridden a Boss Hoss? I took one for a couple miles once...I damn near flopped it on it's side when I was waiting for a red light & blipped the throttle! :shock: The guy in the car next to me---> :rotflmao:

FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

SF. . . . .
Riding a Chopper is easy. It's like driving a TF/D Rail, go fast & straight and don't try to "corner it". :shock:

Also watch for cross traffic. I got 3 fractured Vertabrae & 5 herniated discs when I "T" Boned a car
that made a right turn in front of me, after making a left to get infront of me. I was on my Sportster
powered rigid frame with a +10" over springer front end & a 15 Degree kick in the neck. It had a Fat
rear tire & Skinny front. No cornering that bike No Way. Bike went under the car as the car went up
the ramp of a driveway. I slammed into the side of the car with my hip and my head folded over
to tag the roof turret. I walked for 6 days then I got paralyzed legs. :cry: cry.gif praying.gif

Traction for 13 weeks, Phys Therapy for 6 mos. Big trial but proceeds went for Doctors & Lawyers.I didn't
even collect enough to pay for bike I built & was showing. It had 2 of 3 1st place Show Awards with the
ISCA, 1 more 1st, I'd have got $10K for regional award & a shot at National Show in Cincinatti OH. :cussing: :evil:

cuss.gif Never happened! After I walked again without crutches I bought a Yammaha XS-2 650cc which
I cleaned up some & went backto college, after my DIVORCE. . . . heard enough? th_inconcievable.gif shrug.gif :hm: :boohoo:

wave.gif FBp Bolt.gif