1st truck, 1st ford, 1st build

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

japedo

1st truck, 1st ford, 1st build

Post by japedo »

Hey fellas, I hauled my first truck home the first of the month, 66 F100. It had been sitting in the woods since 1984! It's debatable weither im crazy for taking this project on as a complete amateur. But I like a good challenge.

I just found this forum today and think it's great! Alot of good stuff here.

here is a link with a bunch of pics of what im upto. Now that im registered here and this is a slick site only, ill see if I can start putting pics here too.

Thanks fellas!

japedos 66 build. "what floors?" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/98500 ... build.html
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

Welcome from Northern Illinois. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. Good luck. You'll find all the information you ever needed on this site.

Jerry D
japedo

Post by japedo »

A bit more info for you guys. Im 24 and live in New Brunswick Canada and am paramedic by trade, but love restoring/modifiying stuff. :lol:

THe frame on my 66 is beyond repair, or it wouldn't make since anyway allready been fixed wrong in the 80's. lol

And for alot of different reasons im putting it on a crown vic chassis. I need to do some more research before picking what year chassis I want. Lots of cheap ones around. Whats the general opinion of what years are the strongest?

My father has an upholstery business so you you can bet this truck is getting a deluxe interior makeover.

I am well into having the cab ready for the blaster, and am gonna tackle the rolling chassis before starting bodywork on the box.

I would love to drive this thing next spring, but ive got some work ahead of me.

Any advice, opinions etc, greatly appreciated.

I am falling more in love with my slick with every piece of steel I weld into it.

Cheers
Gnant

Post by Gnant »

I'm glad I live in the desert....

Welcome from Arizona. Looks like you didn't waste anytime getting right to work. There are many on here who can give you advice on frames and I'll leave that topic to the most knowledgable.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." --- Will Rogers
japedo

Post by japedo »

THanks for the welcome from both of you gents.

Ya, the four seasons in the maritimes take it's tole on vehicles. But 26 years of sitting outside.... im amazed there is still paint on the old girl.

how is the desert for snowmobiling? :lol: jk

I shuold also add that I got this truck on trade for some 17" rims I had on my volvo. And I wasn't planning on ever using those rims again so the truck basically fell into my lap.

BUt I had been thinking more of building a custom classic truck as apposed to a car. So things have been working out well so far.

Japedo
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

:welcome:
From Michigan

It looks like a good project for someone with a lot of energy and perseverance.
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
japedo

Post by japedo »

olliesshop wrote::welcome:
From Michigan

It looks like a good project for someone with a lot of energy and perseverance.

Hey thanks alot for sharing the enthusiasm. I always finish what I start, or have thus far lol

cheers
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

Welcome. And with that shop you can do some good things amateur or not. Floors are a good place to practice since they will not be seen later. You are a braver soul then me but keep the pics coming and we will help any way we can, even if it is only being cheerleaders. cheerleader.gif
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
65ford1

Post by 65ford1 »

Welcome from Washington state,looks like a great start to me. Gene
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

Welcome to the slickest site around for the coolest trucks!!!!! wave.gif from West Virginia
looks like me and you have the same taste..... sorta..... rust that is... you are going on the ground with yours and I am going up with mine but I believe we have the same tasks to tackle........ as I am almost done, I pass the torch to you japedo.... good luck and may the slickness be with you.... 8)

looks like you have a good handle on things and I am looking forward to all those pics... no matter what size.. :lol: looks like you have a nice big garage to work in... look up our garage thread and get us some pics... we enjoy seeing what everyone is working in.... see ya in the forums... :thumright:
japedo

Post by japedo »

THanks again for the welcome everyone, and anthony for passing the torch! Great job with your truck too, im glad im not the only one to take on a truck in that condition.
My garage isn't really as big as it looks in the pictures. But it is 28 by 28 so I can't complain. THe fact that it is attached to the house makes it easy to sneak out and get 30minutes in here and there.
I am really wishing I had a plasma cutter after cutting all those pieces of steel with a die grinder and an angle grinder. :?
Also have been doing the floors with a 230V mig which has been working well on the lowest setting, but would like to get a 110V for the exterior sheet metal. Anyone use a 230V for exterior metal?

Anyways, the progress will continue tomorrow morning when I get off work. And I'll update a few pics directly to this site tomorrow night.
THere seems to be alot better interest on this site, and I think some more crown vic chassis swap pictures could help others.

THanks Japedo
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

crown vic swap?? seen this yet???
http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17937

thought I'd ask...
japedo

Post by japedo »

anthony- I did see that thread, and there is alot of info on the front clip swap. But I don't have a good enough frame to do that with, so I am using a complete crown vic chassis.

I don't want to drag my rockers by any means but the stance of a Vic is nice and level and alot lower then a stock slick. And the wheelbase is within 1/2 an inch of each other.

I have seen a few pictures of partially completed CV frame swaps on here. And I have allready done some measuring on my friends 01 CV.

NOw that I know it can be done, I am really wanting to finish up the cab floors and move onto the rolling chassis.

It would be nice to get as much of that stuff straightened up before winter, and I can just keep the garage warm and do body work through the winter months.

Thanks.. Japedo
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

welcome to the show japedo. have fun with that build...that's what it's all about.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
rcb1020
United States of America

Post by rcb1020 »

Welcome Aboard ! This is a great site , best part about your F100 is ... as along as you have a cab & frame you can get the rest of the parts through many catalogs. Search the for sale section and post the stuff you need in the wanted section. Lots of stuff on Ebay & Craigslist ... nice to see a slick coming back to life again ![/url]
japedo

Post by japedo »

Although the cab needs tipped back up and the floor pans welded on the bottom as well, I decided to take a small break from the floor and do some exterior patching.

I cut this ppatch out of the old 64, but it had a few pinholes and localized rust to the bottom edge. SO as you can see I patched the patch, with another piece cut from the 64.
I tacked a few nails on and used magnets to help get this piece in straight and flat.
I spot welded my way around the patch untill it was seamless and ground it down with a worn out flapdisk. I think with a new one I can grind it down smoother but it will need a small amount of filler.
It took apox 4 hours to fix this piece of the cab but I had to hook like 6 extension cords together to get acrost the lawn with the angle grinder to cut the patch out of the 64 :lol:
Actually turned out better then I thought it would for once.

with a bit of rust paint on it
I'll update with the next bit of progress.

Japedo
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

welcome.gif from NW PA. My Slick is a 64 Ohio truck with rust everywhere. Sometimes I think the rust is all that holds it together. Spent 6 years in Texas and boy do I miss those salvage yards. Good luck on your project and know you aren't alone when battling rust. Make sure you take some pics soon!
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
greenindian

Post by greenindian »

Welcome from PA! My wife and I were just in New Brunswick two weeks ago on Vacation, we stay were her mother's family in Cap Bimet, near Shediac. What a beautiful place with wonderful people. Canadians, ROCK!
japedo

Post by japedo »

greenindian wrote:Welcome from PA! My wife and I were just in New Brunswick two weeks ago on Vacation, we stay were her mother's family in Cap Bimet, near Shediac. What a beautiful place with wonderful people. Canadians, ROCK!

Hey thanks for the welcome, and glad you got to come vist New Brunswick this summer. I know where cape Bimet is, I live outside of moncton about 20 minutes.

THanks again for the warm welcomes fellas.

Im not great with pics, do you think those last 4 I posted are a bit to small?

Japedo
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

It sure is coming along quickly !!! Keep the pics coming. :D
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505