whistles 66 camper

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rwhistles
United States of America

whistles 66 camper

Post by rwhistles »

I bought this last year at the same time that I bought my '61, in St. Joe. It's taken me almost a year to get it home. The week before last, a trucker coming out of Montana ageed to pick it up in Oakgrove, Missouri and deliver it to his next load out, in Gaineville, Florida at a friends house. Last Sunday, my neighbor and I went and picked it up.

No, I didn't bring it home with the '61, I just hooked up to it and pulled it down the road, to see how it would pull. Now, I know I can use it to haul trucks! woohoo.gif

I knew there was some water damage to the bunk, that hangs over the cab. After researching Vintage Camper and Trailer Repair on line, I found that, like rust on our trucks, the more you look for the more you find. Sure enough, there are soft spots in the walls, and it looks like, if I'm going to save this Old Girl, I am going to have to do a frame-up rebuild.

I put a fuel pump on it, after sitting for around 5 years, the 352 fired right off and ran great! It's quiet, and has good oil presure.

It has a three on the tree, and a 4.88 rear end.

It has a dealer installed A/c.

Better picture of the A/c. The dash was butchered to install a tachometer hour meter.

I have no clue what these seats come out of, but they sure are comfortable!

Note, the generator mounted under the hood. A hole was cut in the inner fender and a fiber glass tub, for the generator, was put in.

I found all of the original papers, from the original owner, who bought it from Pasadena Motors in Pasedena, Caliornia. To the second owner, who I bought it from. Including: Owner's Manual, California Rgistrations, Missouri Registrations, and all the appliance manuals for the camper. I will try and take Before and After pictures of the tear-down and rebuild. I know I have a habit of just taking pictures after the repair. This is my newest project!
Last edited by rwhistles on September 8, 2010, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
japedo

Post by japedo »

wow, congradulations on the slick camper/apartment.! THat thing is pretty cool with the generator and all.

Deffinently be worth restoring! Would love to have that thing for hunting moose and other random things!

Japedo
tray
United States of America

Post by tray »

Man that thing is awesome! Just imagine the vacations or races its been on.
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

That is really cool! You've got guts to tackle rebuilding a motorhome! I look forward to watching this one!
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

Very cool! I have seen one very similar around here, always kept an eye on it as it rarely moved, then one day, gone never to return! It was also a 66 F350. Very cool project!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

awesome!
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Having been the foreman of a trailer repair facility,I can tell you if you have the skills to rebuild a slick, this is easy. Try not to damage your outer skin which can be hard to replace if you do not have access to the materials and a break.
Carefully remove the j rails, and corner pieces,remove the staples and the wood work is very straight forward.I would recomend replacing every bit of the caulking tape on all seams,windows and doors , this is the reason you have rot. the factory materials in that era were not the best and most were built piece work so attention to detail was not always there.
Have fun with your new project and post pictures
John
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Very Cool !!! What a great ride to take a trip in. :D
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

I lucked out on this one I think. My neighbor that helped me get it home with his truck and trailer is a trailer dealer.He say's he can get anything I need for the rebuild, He's talking replace everything. New roof skin, J rails, any outer side panels ,interior panels and upgrade all appliances.I told him OK if I get the parts at his cost.So maybe this wont cost an arm and a leg.Will just have to wait and see. He likes the idea or rebuilding it and wants to help.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Gnant

Post by Gnant »

That is really awsome. No hotel needed for you at slickstock!

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." --- Will Rogers
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

THE perfect slickstock vehicle! Tow another slick behind it!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

very interesting Robert.
just happened to see this today on c/l here.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/1937750180.html
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
jjim7

Post by jjim7 »

I like both your trucks
Jim
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

You see these old campers from time to time here and there. A fridge camper thats also cool Ice. No matter how scarce you think something is you usually see another eventually but beware the words "Slight Water Damage" There is no such animal. You need to get that one Ice then we can swap war stories.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

It is great you have the inside line on help and parts. You will be amazed at just how much mark up there is in that particular industry.
The number one lesson I learned while in that industry, is that silicone is a material divised to be an O ring gasket on the space shuttle, and trust me that is all it is good for. As you tool down the road your camper will expand and contract at various speeds and temps. Since silicone does not really stick to anything for long it is only a matter of time before black mold starts to grow and moisture starts getting sucked into tiny cracks. Be sure to use the best non silicone sealer the industry uses,your friend should know what to use.
Good luck and keep us posted
John
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

When I put the fuel pump on I couldn't get fuel out of the tank so I hung that red gas can on the front bumper just to get it running.Today I pulled the tank and this is what I got out of it.

Nothing unusual really I know a lot of you have seen the same thing. Haveing spent my slick money for the next several months getting it home I had to put it back in. I will pull it back out and try a tank coating kit one day.

The roof is the last thing on and the first off. I removed all the roof top vents. It had an evaporitive air cooler instead of an air conditioner.That came off also.

the roof has a sunken spot with a pool of water in it.It had rained earlier today.

There were several layers of sealer on all the vents. It was a job to get to all the screws.

Will have to tarp it up every time I work on it know.

Tomorrow I will start removeing the roof skin. Take off the j-rails and then rool up the roof skin like a sardine can.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Sounds like fun.

Should be cool when it is done.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

tray wrote:Man that thing is awesome! Just imagine the vacations or races its been on.
I hadn't thought about it from that perspective ... man it's sure seen a lot of history and kids riding in the sleeper up above. It would be cool if it had a log of all the trips it's been on. :D
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

I got all the roof j-rails pulled of today. Now with a little help I can roll the roof skin up. Also managed to get the carpet pulled.

Looks like it had linoleum intead of carpet when new. A PO installed the carpet

Here is some more of that "slight water damage" I mentioned earlier.

And the pile starts to grow. Tomorrow is trash day so most of this went up front to be picked up.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

Can not wait to see the finished product. Not sure but those look like old Mercedes seats. The Archiology is the most fun.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300