transmission

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ethan_lanning

transmission

Post by ethan_lanning »

I was wondering if any one has heard of a nascar four speed transmission? and if you have I was wondering if it was a good transmission or not?
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I'm familiar with them. They're great for circle track race cars and no good anywhere else.
Jim
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

Hi Ethan
:hm: here it goes the transmission used today by most "NASCAR teams"is a purpose built race transmission. They are made by either Tex racing or Jerico transmissions. They are for the most part "BULLET PROOF". They use a special type of syncro ring that allows them to power shift them without the use of the clutch. This makes them a harsher shifting transmission no matter what. They are not designed or intended for "Street use" and there by not the best for cruising around town. just my :2cents: worth.
You could try going back a ways this was discussed at length in an earlier post a couple of months ago.
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
ethan_lanning

Post by ethan_lanning »

I was wondering if there was a newer version of the nascar four speed. Because the previous owner of my truck told me that the transmission in my truck was made in the 70's or 80's. so i wasnt sure if the one that "texracing" makes is the same as the one that i have or if it was a diffrent transmission.
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

Ethan
Does it have a side cover or a top cover that comes off like a ford toploader. But going by age 70's/80's it could be a borg and warner super t10 or race preped top loader. not later type power shifting type as that is 90's and later tranny for the most part.
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Here's one that would make you a nice trans without the expense of a NASCAR trans.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Fe- ... 4104QQrdZ1
Jim
ethan_lanning

Post by ethan_lanning »

after looking at my transmission and the pictures that "jakdad" found i think my transmission is a toploader. and to answer your question the cover is on the top. I also found a metal tag on the transmission and i was wondering if anybody knew of a website i could go to so i could decode the tag?