Brrrrrrr

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jamesdfo
Canada

Brrrrrrr

Post by jamesdfo »

Well, I remember Brian posting weather for his neck of the woods in Alaska, and they have a TON more snow than we do, but it's @&%#$ COLD here:(....and the wind isn't helping any!

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pag ... ric_e.html

or in Imperial units
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast ... -50&unit=i

here is forecast for next couple days...
**metric units
Wind chill warning in effect.
Tonight:(Mon 16th Jan/2012) Periods of light snow ending this evening then partly cloudy. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 32. Extreme wind chill minus 43. (-45.4 F)
Tuesday: A mix of sun and cloud. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 27. Extreme wind chill minus 44 (-47.2 F) in the morning.
Tuesday night: Clear. Wind becoming west 20 km/h before morning. Low minus 33. Extreme wind chill minus 47 (-52.6 F).

James (who decided to NOT to go outside & shovel the sidewalk today:):)
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Re: Brrrrrrr

Post by Alan Mclennan »

James reading this gave me the shivers!, I had to go and put a jumper on! coldwithsnow.gif , stay warm brother!

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/penrith
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Allan: No worries, it's 70 deg F inside the house:)
It's 6:30AM, and currently @-39 C with the wind chill factor (-38.2 F)...so not quite as cold as they were threatening:)

Cheers!
James
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

it was very cold again yesterday morning early.

later a light wind started , got us up just above 0*F.

about 3pm my wife came home in the van with a burned out headlight, i decided to change it right away. was doing ok until i dropped 2 tiny screws and had to remove my gloves, then the tabs for the connections pushed out the plastic when i was hooking up the headlight. off with the gloves again.
needless to say fingers were pretty cold and i went in.

its currently 9*F with a 10 mph wind.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Wow! I can't imagine cold like that (although I lived in upstate New York for a while, cold but nothing like those figures). I put on my thermals when I gets below 50F.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

It was +3 C on Saturday when I started working on the water pump on my wife's truck. It dropped to -5 C that evening and THAT felt cold. Had to finish up Sunday night when it was something like -26 C, lol.

-38 C with the windchill as I type this (9:30 am local time), so I drove to work wearing 4 layers (including insulated Carhartt overalls). :D
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Brian: That reminds me of the ONLY time my '08 Ranger wouldn't start:).....several years ago over the Christmas/New Years holidays, I went to start the truck (at about -37 C)......not gonna happen?? WTF?.it's plugged in!!....well, I walk around front, grab the plug....and the male end on the block heater cord comes off the cord?? (too much flappin in the wind caused it to slowly break all the wire strands)
So, there I am outside in the driveway @ -37, trying to strip the wires, and put a new end on the cord.....well, with stops to go into the garage & warm my hands, what would normally be maybe 5 minutes of work took closer to 30 minutes. It's hard to control wire strippers, twist the strands together, and feed them into the plug, then twist them around the terminal screws, etc when you can't feel your hands:(:(....so all you can do is a couple minutes, then go back inside untill you can feel your fingertips again, then repeat:)......and surprisingly, cursing a blue streak doesn't seem to warm the air any :roll: :wink:

James
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

James
have done that same thing with the plug end. the cords and wires are thin and easily broken.

changing an FE starter at -40 F was definitely a challenge, i was a lot younger then.

went like this

heated up the tools on the wood stove
plywood on ground to lay on
thin brown jersey gloves on the hands

outside, undo the cable nut on the side of the starter
undo the 2 easy bolts
back inside for a bit
then the 3rd bolt that you cant see real easy
2 trips for that one
warm up new starter and tools again on woodstove
couple more trips in and out till it was complete

was the only transportation we had at the time so had to be done
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Brian: Yah, and then you get people (like my sister in law) taht ask "why don't you park in the garage?".....it took me & the bro a good number of years to train her that the garage is a workshop, for projects, not a place to park the "drivers".
And despite the fact that fifteen years ago, I thought that anyone that had a remote start was a pu**y, my previous ('90) Ranger that I bought in '97 came with a remote....and guess what, now if you tried to take my remote away, you would be all bloody before it happened:):).....so I guess I'm now a pu**y?? :roll: :wink:
It is great to hit the button, then go outside ten or fifteen minutes later and get into a nice warm vehicle:)

James
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the things about remote starts that bother me (not sure if they are even able to be used with the older stuff i drive) and i admit to knowing nothing about them

what happens if you forget to put the trans in N
how do you hear any bad noises that can happen or see any warning lights
is there some type of alarm to alert the mice control (cats) keeping warm on the plugged in engine? (i knock on the hood or fenders and say wake up in a loud voice)
something to pull the choke and kick the gas pedal, then push the choke in after a few minutes

i would also guess the heater fan needs to be left on so its warm and the windshield thawed out.

i would not call you a pu**y because you make use of something that came on a used truck you bought nor can i say its manly to go out and start it myself.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Brian: Well, it's seems to be holding @ -40 with the wind chill, so I went out to shovel the walks....got my front walk (and my elderly neighbours) done....but I can't feel my hands, so came in to warm up....problem is, once you get all sweaty, it's INSTANT chill when you go back out:(
Not sure if I'll go back out to do walks in back yard/driveway today or not:)
As far as remote start, yah, I think they are much more user friendly on later model vehicles with EFI.....I believe they have sensors tied in for low oil pressure, etc, but with carb'd vehicles, the big problem is likely runaway RPM with choke?
....and I guess I'm blowing my cover, but I bucked up & spent the $$ to put remote start on my '08....

James
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

just got my 2011 super duty running in this mega sub zero mess. Trying to boost new vehicles is frustrating when relays keep clicking and tripping out. Putting charger on boost mode is definately no help, pretty sure that just kicked something else out. I guess slow trickle charge is probably the best. Really starting to hate winter, we are paying for the past month of balmy weather. -40 at work right now and will probably get down to -45 or worse tonight. Pretty hard to enjoy last day off when I know what is looming tomorrow
Mark

The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

My wife's truck has been plugged in all morning, and after work I'm going to see if I made a minor or major goof-up when I refilled the cooling system on Sunday night... :x
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:the things about remote starts that bother me (not sure if they are even able to be used with the older stuff i drive) and i admit to knowing nothing about them

it is actually against the law (at least here in missouri) to put any type of remote start on a manual shift vehicle. fancy that.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
3ontree66
Canada

Post by 3ontree66 »

Not going to attempt to go anywhere tomorrow in this cold. coldwithsnow.gif coldwithsnow.gif coldwithsnow.gif coldwithsnow.gif coldwithsnow.gif Perks of being self employed. Lots of hot chocolate, listen to some old vinyl, maybe catch a movie or 2. Hard to believe it was +12 last week. By the way, I bought a Dodge Caravan last week and it came with command start already installed. It's sure been handy the last couple days. Guess I've joined the big fat p****y club!!!
66 F100 300 4 speed! Power steering!
78 Kawasaki KZ650
75 Yamaha XS 650 x 3.
82 Suzuki GS850G.
ImageImage
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Marko, how`s that new fire place going mate?, I bet the intake is wide open! :rocker:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Well, today will be the first time my vehicle will get fired up since Sat (Ironically, I started my truck to drive to the Motorcycle Show:)....so we will see how that goes, as it is currently -40 with the wind chill. It has never been a problem in the past (with the one exception noted above:)....just eating brekky and listening to the guys on the radio talk about all the accidents they saw yesterday :shock:

James
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Been pretty chilly down in the southern part of the province too, about 10 degrees warmer than Edmonton but still plenty cold. Says it feels like -35 c this AM and i have to go out in it. Plus start my car every 2 hours because diesels really don't like that kind of cold.
Whoopee... winter in the Great White North!!
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

I'm interviewing with Blackberry (RIM) right now and they asked me if I'd consider moving to Waterloo, ON. I'm glad they couldn't see the "are you f'ing kidding me" look on my face over the phone.

Not sure what possesses you folks to live up there, but I guess someone has to.

49F today, 56F, tomorrow, and 61F Friday.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/30075
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Waterloo looks quite nice right now, lol.
ezernut9mm wrote:
ICEMAN6166 wrote:the things about remote starts that bother me (not sure if they are even able to be used with the older stuff i drive) and i admit to knowing nothing about them

it is actually against the law (at least here in missouri) to put any type of remote start on a manual shift vehicle. fancy that.
Interesting. I had remote start on my daily when I got it, which is a manual. It had to be 'armed' before shutting the car off. That is, I had to activate it by pressing one of the buttons while the car was running in neutral with the parking brake engaged. Then I would turn the key off and it would continue running, and I would get out and hit the button again, at which point it would shut off. If I didn't go through that procedure it wouldn't start with the remote. This is a car with a clutch interlock switch though (i.e. won't start unless the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor). No "mouse control" warning alarm either, and if you like parking in gear then it's probably not the best.

Got my wife's truck thawed out yesterday, so as it turns out my goof was minor. Had ice in the top of the rad even though I added water and antifreeze at 50/50, but I guess it didn't mix completely. :oops:

Probably had enough coolant left in the block to prevent freezing though, as the rad hoses weren't solid and the water pump turned freely. No cracks, no leaks, no steam, no coolant in the oil, so far so good!