Mine and Matthew's (2) 1965 Ford Pickup builds!

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Toyz
United States of America

Re: Newbie....and mini newbie ...lol

Post by Toyz »

Harper,
The 32 valve is a good choice IMO, especially if you can snag the entire donor. 96 was the last of the Gen I's, but the first year of OBDII. Thus custom tuning is somewhat easier, and much more available. Unfortunately, Lincoln changed a bunch of stuff on the Gen II's. Consequently, the 96 has several one-year only items which become problematic. The secondary throttle controller is one of those items, and also known to throw a code without a performance problem. In AL, you could probably ignore or bypass the CEL, but if it is an actual hardware failure, it's a hard to find item, and a really PIA in both the Mark and most truck conversions since it is tucked at the back of the engine.
With those disclaimers, the vehicle will run quite well and potentially improve the fuel ecomomy. The IRS is also an easy swap, with the option of utilizing the factory air suspension, Shockwaves, T-bird coils, or a custom set-up!
KStone's conversion is, as you know, one of the best detailed (and becoming best known) conversions.
Just be sure you get all the harnesses and electronics; then if you wish to clean up the un-needed functions, you can pretty well do it at your convenience. There's lots of "tuner" programs available for the OBDII Marks, and they can really make a "seat of the pants" improvement.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

i am headed to see if that guy still has it "toyz" thanks for the info....may call on you for more info sometime, as I am pretty good on 5.0 stuff however when it comes to the newer 4.6 engines etc...I havent studied a lot on those YET :)

1965 SWB 460 C6 AUTO "Red Barron Red"
1965 SWB Going 302 w/C4 Auto (Matthew's)
1969 Dodge Charger "replica General Lee" 440 w/727 (Mine)

If you sent your Truck out to a restoration shop, you did NOT build it, jus sayin!
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

[/size][size=150]Progress on Matthew Slick: [size=150]

If you sent your Truck out to a restoration shop, you did NOT build it, jus sayin!
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

ok back moving on MY truck, .... i have a 302 with truck 5-speed out of my (98 model) F150- yea i know that seems weird, but i bought it with the 302 carbed with 5-speed, and now I have it removed, and have gotten rid of the 98 truck.
I am trying to figure out WHICH engine mounts i need to install this 1988 or 1989 302 from a LTD into my truck...any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Ben

Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

Matthews slick Update: worked on his truck today, installed a flushed the system, and installed a the new radiator i bought 2 months ago from advanced autoparts, all went well. Come to find out the old pickup had a chrysler radiator in it...lol
couldnt get to run without putting fuel in the carb, soon figured out it ...must be outa gas...and loaded it up with a few gallons from my mower gas can....then it ran perfectly.
I still have the CANT GET OUT OF FIRST AND REVERSE syndrone, but will be ordering the replacement washer kit first thing in the am. other than that its a running and driveable Slick again :)

Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

Update Matthews Slick: Today July 28th 2012 Matthew and I removed the steering column out of his slick and removed the one out of my slick and exchanged them until we get his column/shifter rebuilt. We drove it about 2 miles into town and fueled up. then we drove about 3 more around thru a dirt road and back towards home. The truck quit on us about 3/4 of mile from home. After sitting awhile it cranked up again and we drove it almost all the way home before it quit again...we costed in our yard... I get out and start looking for the problem. The only thing I could see was the exposed fuel line that could be vapor locking...insulated it with some 1/2 inch water pipe insulation and let sit awhile...it cranked and we drove it about 3/4's of a mile and it quit again....this time it did not crank back up...we got it home and we still cant figure out what the deal is.... any suggestions would be great.
thanks
Last edited by Harper on August 31, 2012, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

For My 65 SLICK )I purchased Engine mounts for my 88 LTD 302 i have, and I hope to install it in my 65 ford this weekend. (The mounts I purchased are for a 79 FORD pickup...hope this works)with truck 5-speed, hopefully I can figure out a way to either use the hydraulic throwout bearing and arm and hook it up to my current pedal system. I have another transmission to install in it in the future (a borg warner T-5 out of a mustang, however this particular transmission once rebuilt I will install using the Mustang (86-93 adjustible clutch quadraunt and cable). I'll keep everyone posted.

Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

sanded and primed and painted my engine compartment in my truck this weekend....missed out on the biggie in Kansas city, so i had to do something on my slick. Also cleaned, sanded and painted my transmission cross member :)

foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Every dirty job finished counts BIGTIME towards a finished truck.. keep after it.. the SS get togethers can get the ole drive going !
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

i agree...i bought gaskets for my EFI intake and Mustang Exhaust headers today! If its storming here tomorrow, I'll be in my shed working on my truck :)

Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

cleaned my borg Warner T-5 trans with superclean(so I can rebuild it) , and my valve stock EFI valve covers off a mustang engine, for my slick yesterday, sanded the valve covers today and Painted one...still have to do the other one tomorrow. however that is my plan to finish the other one in the morning and maybe put them on my engine, along with the engine mounts...another step forward.

It doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg fellas, it doesnt have to be the fastest thing on earth....get to work on these slicks....one piece and one step at a time. (there i've said my motivational speach for today lol)

1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

It doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg fellas, it doesnt have to be the fastest thing on earth....get to work on these slicks....one piece and one step at a time. (there i've said my motivational speach for today lol)[/quote]

Keep on preaching! I love it!
Phil
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

ok here is my valve covers mid way thru and afterwards...

(just for the record between this 1912 version internet, and the photobucket uploading....its killing me lol)

Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

Today, I spent most of the day working on my 65., removing the old exhaust manifolds from my 302 engine i am planning on running in my slick.... and installing Mustang Headers (stock 90-91 ss shortys) nothing fancy, but none the less its another step forward.
then we cut out my floor tunnel (hard a hard time with this...didn't really want to but if I wanted to go floor shift and have a 5-speed it had to be done.
now the engine and trans are resting in the 65 where they need to be. Its NOT a million dollar engine, NOR a fancy super expensive trans. however it is in the chassis and will soon be ready to move another step closer to driving :)

Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

perches before cleaning, sanding and painting....

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Don't forget those markings may be a little hard to decipher after blasting and painting. :P
With my failing memory, I'm reduced to doing one at a time so I can look at the untouched one and, hopefully, know what to mark on the finished one. :?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

yea thank GOD one side is way taller than the other lol

here are some pictures (i hate slow internet speeds btw) before media blasting of the bed and hood.

Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

Although not perfect, these parts are now Rust Free and epoxy primed :)

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Looking good! You're already making more progress than I am, and you are certainly accererating the pace :)
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

Thanks-very much wanting to remove my cab and blast it, myinner fenders,front fenders, grill, rearend and the frame now....I can definetly see how addicting it is after seeing these parts done...I love working on these old fords, and I love driving them even more! :)
(the guy that did them for me was very reasonable with price and i've known him since we were kids in school.)