Flyin' around the sandbox.

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

adrianspeeder
United States of America

Re: Flyin' around the sandbox.

Post by adrianspeeder »

1st FCC Stage (OOTH 2014) - Workin' in, above, and around the sandbox on my first deployed flying stage.
001 - Home sweet shipping container home. For sure much much better than a tent.
002 - "Hey Chief!" Yeah? "This fell off the jet all by itself..." Why you *@(!(#*&@^....
003 - Worked on this ole girl a few times in the past, but finally got to crew 'er. Ran damn good too, but they've had 20 years to work out the kinks...
013 – Desert sunrise and the heat is already cranking above 110.
022 – You load 16 tons and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt.
023-025 – Hero Shot!
029-032-034-035 – Roxanne. You don’t have to turn on the red light!
037 – Contract freight dawgs bringing the good stuff for us to haul into Afghanland.
040 - Dubai World International runway 12.
045 - Dubai World International tower.
051 - Chasin' that hot sun.
053 - Northern Afghanistan mountains.
056 – ‘Murica.
061 – I’ve been livin’ on the wrong side of Memphis.
062 - Persian Gulf sunset.
071 – Team America. Fuck Yeah.
Last edited by adrianspeeder on March 5, 2022, 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

072 – Team America. Fuck Yeah!

073 – Tug life.

074 - Brakes released, clear to tow. Copy that, we're on the move.

079 – Omani horse/camel racing track.

089 - Oil well fire. It's just a choochin'!

093 – You left your spoilers armed ya noodle!

104 - Block 15, non COSA, legacy color weather radar, no forward printer, and confused all the younger people on how to AERO-I. What penalty box has Chucktown been keepin' you in the last few years to not get updated? 022 - Camp Bastian Afghanistan. You call? We haul. Fits through the door? Chain it to the floor.

106 – Boom.

108 - Southern Afghanistan mountains.

111 – My dad always had a towel around his neck. Hot as this place is, it’s a handy item.

120 – The 230 dirty!

122 – Sent the copilot in for smoothies!

125 – “We got guns and shit!”

129 - "Down there is the field where I grow my fucks. As you can see it is barren, so henceforth, no fucks to give."

131 - "Yay! I did a maintenance!"

133 - CHEEZEBURGER!!!

136 - Flag flight in combat heavy airlift for 2014-09-11. This morning as the 9/11 sun rose across the wings of my C-17, I realized I'm just a tiny puzzle piece doing what I'm good at to keep the BS of this God forsaken land of sand from ever getting across the ocean again. Ya'll have a great day. 'Murica.

138 – Best launch crew ever!

143 - Ready to ride out on a Mission Recovery Team like in the good ole days.

147 - Hangle of the dangle.

Last edited by adrianspeeder on March 6, 2022, 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

We did the C5 to C17 switch. Lotta people had to cross train or get out. Didn't go over too well. But hey the planes don't break down...as much lol
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

153 – Stealth C-17.

156 - Edge of one crappy sand land to a different kind of crappy sand land.

158 - Gettin sporty out here in split axis.

162 – This is war ole son!

163 - 2 mission computers, one fuel quantity computer, one MJP, one pilot seat, one wiring repair, one pin replacement, two software loads, one database load, and a partridge in a pear tree.

164 - Ole Balls 4 had been broken for four days straight stranded at Al Maktoum International. No one’s fault sent there to fix it, but every take off attempt cropped up a new non flyable failure. While funny for a day or two, it seemed to have about the same amount of mechanics in Dubai trying to get this one airplane off the ground as our deployed location stretched thinner working the remaining functioning tails. Day five was heading in the same direction when the maintenance group commander knocked on my shipping container turned very nice bedroom’s door.
“Sgt Fargo, how are you tonight?”
“Evenin’ Ma’am. Sorry, I just fell asleep. What’s going on?”
“I just talked to the ADO, and he’s good with it if you are good with it…”
Never a good start to a sentence I thought.
“…But can you go get balls 4 and bring it back no matter what it takes.”
“I thought they had it fixed?”
“It just broke again.”
“When’s the next jet passing through there for me to ride along on?”
“Two pilots and a load are going to fly you there now. Gas them up when you get there, send that jet back, and then Balls 4 is your new home until it’s ready to return.”
“Do you mind if I take some, “Extra parts?””
“What do you need?”
Two pallet positions of every stinkin’ computer, component, and specialized tool that can make or break a C-17 in the middle of nowhere was hand loaded shortly thereafter. Aerial port wanted nothing to do with manifesting non TACC tasked cargo, so we went around them and did it ourselves.
“Ok Cap’n, wake me when we get there.”
“You’ll make sure we take off before you go get wrapped in Balls 4 right?”
The aircraft commander of my ride was worried about being stuck himself leaving after losing his FCC, but it was a great jet to start with, and I had a perfect record of getting every jet I crewed off the ground without having to call in extra help. His worries ended up unfounded with a no-frills departure after I filled up his Jet A1, unloaded my hoard of spare parts, and packed baggage carts to get them moved to Balls 4’s lair of despair.
Cheese and crackers people, it’s just an airplane of nuts and bolts built with parts by the lowest bidder. All week everyone had referenced this parked jet with a mythical aura that it can’t be fixed.
“Will we need Boeing?”
“How long will it be broken?”
“Will Balls 4 replace 90-534 for the title, “Christine”?”
No. Let’s get to work. For all the buildup, it was pretty straight forward to troubleshoot, isolate, and quickly repair everything in a shift or so with all the stuff I brought. I sent all the extra mechanics home on a nearby C-17 that was heading back, and called TACC to alert the crew that was in a hotel downtown.
“She’s ready to go. Send me my crew.”
I remember that call at about 2200ish local, and because I’ve fallen for TACC’s tricks before, I noted the initials RC. It should take them an hour to get checked out, through customs, and out to the airplane. I had the preflight updated, and fuel in the tanks, so we should make midnight chow at home no problem. What a time to take a short nap in the copilot’s seat, and… …And the sun beating through the windshield startled me awake. Who? What? Where? Huh? The fuck? Watch shows 0500 in the morning, and tank 3 is missing about 3,000 lbs of gas. The crew was supposed to be at the jet hours ago, and I have to pee! I call up TACC, and ask about the crew for Balls 4.
“We’re waiting to alert the crew when XOCL says the jet is repaired.”
Face palm.
“It’s good to go. Is RC still on shift? No? Oh well. Send me my crew.”
This could have all been avoided if I had any of the stranded crew’s phone numbers, but since I didn’t start with them, the info wasn’t in my phone. Amazingly through some modified magic of the system of sitting alert in Charlie, to an instant Bravo, to a crew bus they happily showed up ready to ride. Preflight pass, preloaded flight plan checked for a fifth time, walkaround complete, and right at engine start…
“BEEEEP. Master Caution. FUEL QTY FAIL.”
Tank 2 shows those lovely dash’s from a Multiplex Junction Probe rearing it’s weakness at the exact wrong time. Go to B channel? Nope. Reset computer? Nope. Reset computer again? Nope. Transfer all the gas from two other tanks to wet and cool the probe? Nope. Well friends, this sucks, but I can actually fix it with my hoard of spare parts. One small problem though as this is the only avionics component that requires an In-Process Inspection to be signed off before continuing the job of replacement. Were we getting shot at? No. Were we in a safe place? Yes. Was there another C-17 coming through later that day that could bring along an avionics minion to legally get the signature of a corrected by if I sign the IPI’s and red X? Yes. We’ll go with that plan, but I still had to call TACC, and make the ever-common statement of, “Balls 4 is broken again.”
“What is the part number, TO, figure, and index of what you need for the repair?”
“I actually have one on hand.”
“What career field mechanic do you need for the repair?”
“I’m actually an AFIN 7 level by trade.”
“Why are you calling, and not fixing the airplane?”
Now this is where the Aircraft Commander can make or break a relationship with a below the liner flying crew chief. Thankfully she was a good one, also listening to the call on headset, and broke into the conversation.
“The FCC has not had adequate rest in weeks. We’ll go back to the hotel, wait for an assist to show up later today, they together can make the repair on top of the wing, then we’ll depart tonight. He says it can be safely fixed in under an hour, so that’s what we’ll do.”
TACC stumbled over their words a bit, agreed to the plan, and I was indebted to one of my new favorite A codes to ever fly with. By this point of the deployment, we as a detachment were moving more equipment out of Afghanistan than I’ve ever seen moved at once. It was an amazing airlift achievement with 9 C-17s, 18 sets of pilots and loadmasters, but only 4 flying crew chiefs. A glitch in the matrix, and in my opinion an oversite in the rules, does not hold the FCC to crew rest rules afforded to pilots and loadmasters. As a consequence, myself and three other FCC partners were on average only having 5 hours off between a landing and then alerting with the next crew. In the course of three months I had racked up over 600 hours airborne. By no means was I complaining, but the chance for a day in a Dubai 5 star hotel with an in room hot tub sounded great. The room looked down on the Palm Island, had a great bed, enjoyable dinner.

166 - Downtown Dubai. Vegas of the middle east.

168 - Beats the hell out of a tent.

169 - Gotta love a palm tree shaped island view.

170 – Two days of hard work fixing a plane that was broke down in the desert for over a week and all I get is this tee shirt.

184 - Let’s get the fawk out. "Chalks repositioned."

194 – The man the myth the legend.

195 – Epic DO. I’d fly with her anywhere!

196 – Pilot hero shot.

197 – Loadmaster hero shot.

198 – Shower, shave, pass the fuck out time.

201 – I always know that nose gear will lock down, but that 2 second delay after the mains gets me looking on every gear extension.

202 - All 5 foots are down and locked…

211 – I think the weather is giving us the finger.

212 – Cloud surfin’

Last edited by adrianspeeder on March 8, 2022, 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

213/214 – Cloud surfin’.

218 – How bout that? All this time I've been in the desert for years, and the first camels I've seen.

223 – Freight dawgs.

230 – Short final at Dubai World International.

238 – Whooooaaaa back!

241 – Never knew dead L-1011s has the same towbar connection as me.

243/244 – Hangin' at ops when I got back.

245 – Talk about a small Air Force world. After 7+ years, a deployed to the desert 413/414 reunion!

246 - Ain't Coors Lite, but still pretty good for being French.

251 – Where the Hell are we?

253/254 – I “borrowed” a 50 ton crane over from CE in the middle of the night to change a broke APU.

255/256 – The only difference between men and boys is the size of the toys.

257/258 – Way excessive, but we got ‘er done.

261 – Try as I might, I really don’t know how to caption this one.

263 – Nothin’ like the sound of a power run in the desert making a dust cloud miles deep.

Last edited by adrianspeeder on March 9, 2022, 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Gotta love those weird foreign beers. Ever have baltika 9? That stuff will knock you on your rear
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Had two number 9's a day for a year with all my deployments to the former Soviet Union.
267 – MX Hero shot.

268 – Newer jet, not sure on why the paint patch job.

269/271/274/276 – Crew Hero Shot

282 - Normally don't like McChord birds, and I've found this one to be quirky, but gets me back every time.

295 - 'Murica with a capital apostrophe.

310 - I often wonder how is it possible for such pretty sunrises to be above land with a history of fighting for over 4000 years, but for that moment of flight at level 340, Afghanistan is peaceful.

312 – Ya know yer at a good field with a scrapped out 727. Kinda like an ole Chevy half ton out behind the barn.

313 - From the Boeing YF14 concept the Russians came up with the Antonov AN72.

320 – Damn APU exciter failure. When our APU won’t run, it takes a lot of equipment to make this jet operate. Just like life support.

322 – First time all three of us were on the ground at the same time. Drinks!

327 – Newest jet I’ve been on. Purchased in 2010, third from the newest in the fleet.

329 – Still had that new airplane smell.

330 – We can see you, but you can’t see us.

331 - Fighting ISIS one stash at a time.

332 - Another day done, time fer a 1664. Closest I've found to Coors Lite.

336 – Sometimes you gotta pimp your ride.

337 – Science!

Last edited by adrianspeeder on March 9, 2022, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

340 – Big burly man towing a big burly airplane.

342 – Rock star launch crew.

344 – I like this airplane, and that's a lot to say from me about a McChord bird. Flew 5 times in a row, and no hard breaks. She's quirky with needing resets and TLC, but other than needing a cleaning, a great tail.

346 – 1-C17A-2 dash Vargo nose tire inspection: Two round tires in accordance with two thumbs up.

347 – Wells Fargo preflight good to go.

350 – Pilot hero shot. The swagger!

353 – Helmand River Provence.

354 – Suck, squeeze, bang, blow; that’s what makes the motors go.

357 – “Obstacle ahead…”

359 – Little bitty four fans of freedom opposite direction 1000 foot separation.

361 - Hammer down big time! Locked er in 29th gear!

362 – Very last day of operations at Camp Bastion. In all total, we moved 1200 trucks and 4000 people out of there in three months. Second hardest I’ve ever worked. 45 missions at over 300 hours of C17 expeditionary combat heavy airlift all around the sandbox was one hell of a good ride. I’ve met and flown with a lot of professional pilots and loadmasters who kept the airborne time nonstop action. I’ve met and worked with a lot of the hardest working maintainers, pro supers and aerial porters who put the birds in the air no limits. On top of all that, just when I think it’s a short list of new ways how I can see this aircraft break, the bitch comes up with new ways to make the pilots yell, “Chief we got a problem...” I’m quite humbled to have been able to return to base 45 times on time with no recoveries required, and still had time to squeeze in on mission recovery for someone else’s broken bird.

366 – LAST HAUL

370 – This clock made me laugh. Should have a C5 on the hour hand.

363 – Halfway home in Germany. Coors light never tasted so good after a stay in the sandbox.

364 - Warstash is gone along with a three month hippy hairdo.

Last edited by adrianspeeder on March 9, 2022, 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Good stuff right there!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Trip 079, Fall 2014, Lebanon

277 - Had a month off, then back on the road with a Mediterranean run on the front half, and an Afghanistan run on the back half. Been to Spain for a gas stop many times now, but never realized it is an Atlantic Ocean sunset.

278/280 - More playtime with the Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8

281 - Ready to ride to fun in the sun.

282 – Pilot hero shot.

283 – Mountains or clouds?

284 – Perpetual new copilots always riding along.

285 – Decent check into Beirut.

286/287 – Beirut.

288 - Beirut–Rafic Hariri International Airport

289 – Field trip to see a helo. Well, check this unit out!

290/295 – Loadmaster hero shots.

296 – Someone has got to make this jet look good.

(post break 20)

297 - Bossman kickin' back, on his final mission at Dover before he moves on to a new assignment. I've flown with many aircraft commanders now, and always liked workin' for this one every time.

298 – Copilot hero shot.

299 - Only failure this trip was the pilot side HUD acting stupid. With a little avionics magic, and heavy-handed persuasion, she came back online.

300/301 - Requested toolbox pictures. I've been a Craftsman guy forever, but the Snap On stuff isn't really that bad.

302 - Our next Afghanistan stop wasn't going to have fuel available, so fill 'er up now. Not quite full, but not much more will fit with high level being 249,000 lbs or 36,000 gallons.

303/304 - Somewhere in northern Afghanistan.

305 - Short final back home into Dover kickin' back once again I wonder, "They pay me to do this?" Best damn job I've ever had.

Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 18, 2021, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Trip 080, Winter 2014, Finland

3-026 Copilot hero shot.

3-027 Crew chief hero shot.

3-028 Copilot hero shot.

3-029 “It is cold up here. Turn up the heat.”

3-030 Cloudy Finland day.

3-031 Cloudy Finland day.

3-032 Headin’ for the weather.

3-033 In the weather.

3-034 Finland boys!

3-035 “Thousand foot. Stable.”

3-036 Loadmasters and copilot hero shot.

3-037 Frommer's, "Here's a fun fact..."

3-038 Tourist mode engaged here in the cold Finland Christmas land.

3-039 Big ole Christmas unit.

3-040 Thumbs up fer Finland beer!

041 Not a speck of litter anywhere. Cleanest city I’ve ever been in.

042 I don’t know how to caption this one.

Next morning at 0dark30 we met in the hotel lobby for checkout to get back to the airport for a long flight back to Delaware. I had already packed the jet full of 36,000 gallons of fuel yesterday for the max endurance length we could fly without needing a tanker. The night clerk said we didn’t need to leave so early as the line for security would be very fast, and the first flight isn’t for 4 more hours. I explained no, we have our own airplane and will be departing as soon as a van could get us there. “Are you rockstars?!?” Sure why not!
Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 18, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Trip 081, Winter 2014, Liberia

2-306 - Another tail of Dover’s finest. Let’s pull them belts up tight one more time and hand to the land of ‘bola.

2-307 - High speed fill up double pumping.

2-308 - Big kid adult juice box. Favorite part of stopping in Spain.

2-309 - Cue the Lion King music for an African sunrise in Ebola land.

2-310 - Ancient 737-200.

2-311 - Braving Ebola for a hero shot.

2-312 - Ebola survival stuff.

2-313 - Loadmaster hero shot.

2-314 - Money man for paying cash to these airfields where the credit card isn’t accepted.

2-315 - Copilot’s hero shot.

2-316 - Aircraft commander hero shot.

2-317 - Only the finest former Soviet Union radio gear.

2-318 - African safari land. Watch out for lions.

2-319 - African dirt superhighway to seaside beachfront property.

2-320 - Cool island.

2-321 - Dakar amusement park.

2-322 - Dakar runway 34 short final.

2-323 - Lt. planting ‘er down hard!

2-324 - Welcome to Dakar.

2-325 - Imagine that, an African airport that is nice.

(20 post break)

2-326/327 - Big ass statue thing.

2-328 - Low speed fill up single pumping in the African heat.

2-329/330 - Beach side Dakar.

2-331 - Goin’ fishin’.

2-332/334 - From 110 degrees to 12 degrees and requiring deice after gas stop in Germany.

Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 18, 2021, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Trip 082, Winter 2015, Texas

335 - Kuwait's fancy C-17 paint job. I've been told instead of our $8 million gray paint job, the Qatar and Kuwait clear coat pretty paint jobs were $32 mil.

336 - Hammer down big time on Dover's runway 32.

337 - Washington Dulles International Airport.

338/339 - Pilot hero shot.

340 - Copilot hero shot.

341 - Cool lake.

342 - Tower of the Americas.

343 - San Antonio International Airport.

344 - Inbound runway 03.

345 - C-23 Sherpa.

346 - A Southwest 737 landed behind us and we ended up drag racing across runways 12L and 12R both heading to the terminal.

347 - "Southwest, give way to heavy C-17..." (heh heh heh)

348 - Bad gonkulator. So after 61 missions in a row with me not having a hard break, our overhead hydraulic control panel had a failure in the backup power supply. So while everyone else hit the town the next day, I had to meet a part that was overnighted to me to put the new one in.

349 - Well there's your problem... Not too hard though, four mounting screws, two connectors, and two avionics cooling ducts. Boeing built this jet to be easy.

350 - Only the finest refurbed overhead hydraulic control panel to get us home.

351 - Had plenty of time to hit up the Riverwalk where 8 years earlier I wandered around as a dopey brand new airman released after basic training. PTSD from the multi colored umbrellas.

352 - Keystone state capital represent!

353 - Piano bar good times.

354 – As soon as the boss leaves, we will follow.

Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 19, 2021, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 18, 2021, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 19, 2021, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 19, 2021, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

You flying in one of those huge jets over Cape May on your way to Dover? I swear the AF has made a few passes over the Cape May NJ point tonight.

Love the pictures. Keep on posting.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Trip 088, Winter 2015, Colorado

2-355/374 - So as good as the plane is, sometimes cargo weight, airfield length and conditions, and fuel required for the length of the trip don't add up to get off the ground. Call for an inflight splash of 50,000 lbs of gas! In my opinion it's the most sketchy thing we do. Even though it has been done hundreds of thousands of times since these KC-135s were new in 1958, something not quite legit about two planes 25 feet apart when we are twice as big. KC-135R model built 55 years ago stationed out of Grissom Air Reserve Base in Indiana.

Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 19, 2021, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

Last edited by adrianspeeder on December 19, 2021, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Mr.Adrian,
Really enjoy your posts just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences with us.Now for a really dumb question, do you even own a slick? I've never seen a picture...
Dan