Project SLIXTYFIVE

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slixtyfive
United States of America

Re: Project SLIXTYFIVE

Post by slixtyfive »

Wow..... i'm surprised there have been no comments on the condition of my cab. I guess no one is looking..... :(
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

I've been watching, just to used to seeing southern trucks with NO REPAIR needed that I've forgotten what I started with. Your cab looks like it time traveled all the way to today....just to bad it ended up in your garage and not mine! I am envious! :D
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Yeah, you look at that cab and just sort of sit there with your jaw hanging...

I remember when I was at the point you are with my 64. Its almost putting a model car together.. no more taking things apart its all forward and finish work.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Yeah, I guess some folks may not notice my location so they don't realize the significance of how nice the cab is. The rest of the truck was good too but the cab was the 'gem'. But I also must admit that I cheated - even though i'm in Iowa(and the truck is now in Iowa), this truck came from Texas.....

Yep - its all finish work and assembly now. Oh - and finding out how many small little parts and pieces still need to be bought (seals, pedal bushings etc)

Now, where did I put those white gloves....????
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Yeah, I have heard about those Iowa trucks ! ;)

It seems like those can need some cab work now and then.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Cab back on frame - unfortunately, it still needs a little 'cleanup' that was missed.

But at least its starting to look like a truck again!!! :D
Last edited by slixtyfive on May 18, 2020, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Ya, Jaw on the floor with that last pic. There are so many patches and shitty welds in my cab that I gave up long ago on it ever looking that good. Well done!!

Love the color to!
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I went to Texas for my unibody, too. A lot of nice metal down there for decent prices. Maybe all the Texas trucks will end up in (South) Eastern Iowa! My '66 came from Louisiana. South is where it's at!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

X2 on the colour 390!, and yes we are watching !!! :D
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I'm well overdue for an update here. Not much progress - at last post, I still had slight hope to have it back together for SS6 but as many of you know, that has come and gone so now i'm hoping to have it on the road next spring. That should give me ample time to 'work the bugs out' and be ready for a road trip to Salina in 2016!!!

One thing that has come up in the past couple months is that the doors have a bunch of spots on them. Although not as dense at this time, there are also some on the cab. Some look like tiny bubbles while others are just a filmy looking spot. I'm assuming their was an issue between base and clear coats that took some time to show so i'm not too happy. I will be bringing them to the attention of the painter soon and see how he plans to address them - wish me luck!!

So I guess there may be a silver lining here - I didn't get it put back together for SS6 but that might ultimately save me a bunch of work/time since it's looking like some re-work is needed for the paint.
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

is that fuel pump on upside down?
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I don't think so but now that you ask, i'm second guessing myself. I didn't install it but until you asked hadn't thought anything of it but it does seem upside down when compared to the V8 fuel pumps. I'll have to verify - maybe someone else will chime in here.....

I do see several images on the web that show it like mine is so i think it is correct......
Pack Rat
United States of America

Post by Pack Rat »

What T5 is that? Where does the shifter come up? Looks great by the way.
1966 F100 240 3speed
1968 F250 Camper Special 390 C6 with 70 Sells slide in camper
1964 Galaxie hard top. 390 dual quads
1962 Falcon soon to have 428 4 speed and straight axle.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

It is the 'T5z' from Modern Driveline (93 and earlier).

You can see in this pic where the shifter comes up through the floor (hole in floor). I'm using bucket seats but my undrstanding is that it can also work with a bench seat with the correct shifter handle.
Last edited by slixtyfive on May 18, 2020, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

What is the bump out on your firewall for,passenger side?I've never noticed that before,all mine are flat...
Dan
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

'bump' in passenger side firewall is nothing i did - it came from the factory that way. Heater mounts to the holes in that area.
Might be different for 61-64 - i can't say i've ever compared that aspect before........
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

The guy that painted the truck finally picked it up to fix the tiny spot issue. So hopefully I can get this project going again in a week or two. :D
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

therealjoeshmoe wrote:is that fuel pump on upside down?
slixtyfive wrote:I don't think so but now that you ask, i'm second guessing myself. I didn't install it but until you asked hadn't thought anything of it but it does seem upside down when compared to the V8 fuel pumps. I'll have to verify - maybe someone else will chime in here.....

I do see several images on the web that show it like mine is so i think it is correct......

That is correct for the 6 cylinder. Not me but I know someone who had his out too long and thought he was getting the wrong one from the parts store, flipped it 'upside down' and tada...it fits.
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The bump is one of the differences between 64 and earlier and 65/66 cabs.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

So - after the cab being re-painted and the doors being re-painted twice, but still having the same problem I've decided it's time to just put it back together so I can drive it. Hopefully the issues with the paint won't 'grow' or become a bigger issue down the road but I'm tired of waiting on re-paints with no better result.....

I had been holding off on much of the re-assembly since much of that makes painting significantly more difficult but it's time to move on...and get it back on the road!! Bed went back on today and will be working toward getting it back on the road this spring....