63 Short Wrong-Full Crown Vic Swap

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

HawaiiKid

63 Short Wrong-Full Crown Vic Swap

Post by HawaiiKid »

Hey guys-noob here, but not to Ford trucks! Currently own a 03 F-150 Lightning (stock block bolt on truck that is my daily driver, but runs into the 12s!) and have just added a 1963 F100 to my stable. To be totally honest I do not know much about this platform or motor OR trans, but I'm ready and willing to learn! What I do know is it is a short wheelbase F100 with a 292 Y block in it. It has a hacked together "true dual" exhaust set up with the stock manifolds, the front leafs have been "flipped", it has a 3 speed converted to a floor shift (Indy shifter), and has had the trim stripped and holes filled (poorly). The goal for this truck will be as a rough around the edges cruiser, but with DD like drivability. Here are some pictures:

What it needs right off the bat:
Cab mounts/floor pans (cab mounts are totally rotted, the reason the cab has more rake than the bed haha)
New hood (rusted through in the front, hinge is all f'ed up-need to go hit a local junk yard)
Brake lights don't work
Passenger side window is not on the track/inner workings seem messed up possibly
Battery Box (old one is pretty rusted into the fender, probably looking at LMC)
Rear end flipped (no more rake!)
More than 2 lugs per wheel (seriously...the guy sold it and said "It's drivable!")
Go through the brakes, check everything.

Things I want
Nice interior
Dual side exhaust
Wheels and tires
Matte White paint/black bed liner
And probably a newer motor and trans combo once its cleaned up a bit.

Questions I have:
Opinions on swapping a later motor/trans combo, or just swapping the trans or going another route?

Where can I buy a rear flip kit for my year? Seems like everything is for 65+ trucks...

Thanks, lookin forward to learning about this truck!
Last edited by HawaiiKid on January 28, 2013, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 F150 SVT Lightning-"Bonnie"-Mid 12s Daily Driver

1963 F100 SWB Project-"Lacy"-Crown Vic frame swap in the process!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28059
slickmainer
United States of America

Re: 63 Short Wrong, LOTS of questions!!

Post by slickmainer »

looking good. I'd try to find a battery box from people here before I buy an LMC one, a few people have some laying around. I'd also watch out for cheap floors and mounts, what you save in cost will drive you made trying to line things up and wont be the same quality as some other floors at higher price. you can run just about anything in these so I'd check the build pages and see what you like, then PM the owner for specific questions. im unsure on the flip kit.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Mrsinister

Post by Mrsinister »

stay away from sheetmetal anything from lmc got some and im just suprised that they claim to be an american owned company selling that crap
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

HawaiiKid, first :welcome: from Okla )( homa. My son has a 63 just like yours which came with a clapped out 223 six and 3 speed. We got crossmembers from Transdapt and put in a 302 and C4 auto in it and used a bracket kit from ECI to convert it to disc brakes up front. Also used a dual master cylinder and power booster for the disc/drum setup which worked great. He removed some leafs from the front and rear springs to lower it front and back which gave it a nice stance, but I think I would probably go monoleafs in a reverse eye front and rear instead. Posies is making some Superride springs for the 57-64 ford trucks now, so you might want to check them out. Also if you don't want to deal with funky hinges you should see Kevin Stones tilt hood kit he is making elsewhere here on the forum. For sheetmetal and cabmounts and such contact Tom at Flashback F100s. He is a member here and has what you will need to do that job. Have fun with your truck and come see us at Slick Stock. TR
HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

slickmainer wrote:looking good. I'd try to find a battery box from people here before I buy an LMC one, a few people have some laying around. I'd also watch out for cheap floors and mounts, what you save in cost will drive you made trying to line things up and wont be the same quality as some other floors at higher price. you can run just about anything in these so I'd check the build pages and see what you like, then PM the owner for specific questions. im unsure on the flip kit.

Thanks for the heads up on LMC sheetmetal quality...I had also been looking at Carolina Classics for mounts and floors. I'll be going through all the builds here and I'll start PMing all the owners soon :mrgreen:

Mrsinister wrote:stay away from sheetmetal anything from lmc got some and im just suprised that they claim to be an american owned company selling that crap

Good to know, thanks!

Truckrat wrote:HawaiiKid, first :welcome: from Okla )( homa. My son has a 63 just like yours which came with a clapped out 223 six and 3 speed. We got crossmembers from Transdapt and put in a 302 and C4 auto in it and used a bracket kit from ECI to convert it to disc brakes up front. Also used a dual master cylinder and power booster for the disc/drum setup which worked great. He removed some leafs from the front and rear springs to lower it front and back which gave it a nice stance, but I think I would probably go monoleafs in a reverse eye front and rear instead. Posies is making some Superride springs for the 57-64 ford trucks now, so you might want to check them out. Also if you don't want to deal with funky hinges you should see Kevin Stones tilt hood kit he is making elsewhere here on the forum. For sheetmetal and cabmounts and such contact Tom at Flashback F100s. He is a member here and has what you will need to do that job. Have fun with your truck and come see us at Slick Stock. TR

Funny, this is a OKC truck too! Drove 3 hours up to pick it up and trade my bike for her, and 4 hours back on a weekday night haha. Going to need to look at Transdapt, Flashback F100s and ECI, all companies I'm not familiar with. Just not sure if drop spings in the back will give me the drop I want compared to a rear flip kit. As far as the hood goes, I think the forward style flip would be great but since I'll be spending many hours with the hood open getting the motor and fender wells fixed that may be something I do down the road.

HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Been doing a lot of "back and forth"ing this weekend...what do I do first, what direction am I going to take, what to do first, what parts do I buy, WHAT TO DO FIRST........

You see where I'm going with this haha.

What is YOUR opinion? I'm really thinking that I need to take care of the cab mounts and floor pan issue first-actually I know thats what I need to do, just not sure how to go about doing that. Should I start looking for a new cab, or buy some new floor pans (then it's from who), or just try and have a friend (very good fabricator but lives 40 minutes from me) help me fab floors and mounts.

What do you guys think?

HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Since there were no opinions I've decided to do the logical thing.

Crown Vic full frame swap time.

The hunt is on for a suitable 98+ model-would love a 01+ with PI heads, but not a lot for the amount of money I'd like to spend around here (Ft Worth, TX).

foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I am not sure the newer Crown Vics (entire chassis) swap like the older mid to late 80's models .. What you really need to do is find one you can crawl around and under to get measurements. Then compare them to your truck. The older Crown vics, have the right wheelbase for a short box, you have to cut out the box floor between the wheels, and the step area on an 61-64 cab. I am not sure much difference the 65 -66 cab is to mount.. However I think it sets up a little higher..

You are coming into this with a lot of enthusiasm, You will want to make sure the newer chassis works, aligns the same way, or the way you want to do it... Typically guys are putting short uni's on the vic, but it has been done with separate cab box trucks...
HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

foodstick wrote:I am not sure the newer Crown Vics (entire chassis) swap like the older mid to late 80's models .. What you really need to do is find one you can crawl around and under to get measurements. Then compare them to your truck. The older Crown vics, have the right wheelbase for a short box, you have to cut out the box floor between the wheels, and the step area on an 61-64 cab. I am not sure much difference the 65 -66 cab is to mount.. However I think it sets up a little higher..

You are coming into this with a lot of enthusiasm, You will want to make sure the newer chassis works, aligns the same way, or the way you want to do it... Typically guys are putting short uni's on the vic, but it has been done with separate cab box trucks...

Thanks for the encouraging words-your thread makes me really anxious to start every time I read it...I'm on my third way through it now!

This thread makes me very optimistic about the swap!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11045 ... assis.html

HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

No one is gonna be able to say I'm not fully invested in this build and moving forward! Retired cop car purchased....

HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

I've had a few people say that I am going to run into fitment issues with the 8.8 under the stock fridge/wrong bed...anyone know if that is true? Not real worried honestly just because this whole project is going to take quite a bit of "making it fit", just wondering if anyone else had done this swap (wrongbed with a CV 8.8 under it)?

foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Measure from about the center of the axle to the back of the car engine, then measure from the center of the axle back to the firewall on the truck.. if you are wanting to see if it will be into the truck firewall or not....

I had to move the motor back (inline six) or there would have been no room for a radiator. But it then interfered with the firewall, so I had to RETHINK that a bit....
HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Actually not worried about firewall or radiator clearance (seems like there are a number of 4.6s and much larger motors under our F100s), just worried about the rear end fitting under the bed for now...

HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Snapped a better picture today-still seems to be runnin great! People as still getting out of my way too hahaha

rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

I dont think you will have any issues puting that chassis under your truck . The guy I am selling my 88 Vic body to does demo derby and prefers the 98 and up chassis with the 88 and back body so they do fit together .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
Beast
United States of America

Post by Beast »

Nice trucks man keep us updated with pictures of the build. I like the crown Vic idea. I wanna do that on my next truck. I'm also from the Ft. Worth area. I think I've seen that lighting around before. You might've seen me romping around in a supercharged 05 blacked out f-150. Anxious to see your progress on this truck!
HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

rickairmedic wrote:I dont think you will have any issues puting that chassis under your truck . The guy I am selling my 88 Vic body to does demo derby and prefers the 98 and up chassis with the 88 and back body so they do fit together .

Rick

Great news! Thanks :)

Beast wrote:Nice trucks man keep us updated with pictures of the build. I like the crown Vic idea. I wanna do that on my next truck. I'm also from the Ft. Worth area. I think I've seen that lighting around before. You might've seen me romping around in a supercharged 05 blacked out f-150. Anxious to see your progress on this truck!

Thanks man, I think I have seen you actually. I work off of Bryant Irvin south of 20, I think I've heard your blower while out in the parking lot. :D

Project got delayed to get through the holidays and deal with all the costs that come with them. Dont worry though, its really happening! Also, bought a plasma cutter (split it with the guy who is going to be basically building this truck with) so cutting the bed/floor/Crown Vic will be much easier now! Looking to start the project two weekends from now :shock:

HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Since everyone here likes pictures...here are a few!

(Of a 02 Ranger!) :shock:

This is the project that we have in his barn at the moment, we get the front end pulled off, cut the aprons, pulled the wiring harness and pulled the motor and trans yesterday. Today he pulled the bed and rear end out, its ready for a ladderbar/Explorer 8.8 now and eventually a stock block 5.4SC Lightning motor and drivetrain swap! It will be a weekend warrior but street driveable :lol:

Pre-teardown

How it ran hahaha

http://youtu.be/dEffDri_UMo

As it sits now

HawaiiKid

Re: 63 Short Wrong-Full Crown Vic Swap

Post by HawaiiKid »

Been out at my friend's place every weekend but we've been working on his Ranger mostly. Hoping to get rolling on the Crown Vic tear down this next weekend. Here is some picture progress on his at least :)

Max
United States of America

Re: 63 Short Wrong-Full Crown Vic Swap

Post by Max »

I would like that yellow tool box please, thanks! :D
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416