62 shorty uni street rod build

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

390fastback
Canada

Re: 62 shorty uni street rod build

Post by 390fastback »

Ya! Picked up a set of 68 Mustang buckets yesterday...never should have sold that extra set I had years ago! I need to decide on a color though, the interior will be red with more red, so I was thinking white or red. Thoughts?

No pics of them either, it was F'n cold last night so they stayed in the '06. I'll bring them in today and see how they fit, what I'll need to do, and snap a pic.
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Just a thought, but if you're going for a modern look then I think a metallic silver or charcoal grey would look sharp with a red interior. Especially with dark wheels. Some of the new FX4 F150's have a nice subtle colour scheme with matte grey striping and accents.

A white with some depth to it (i.e. metallic or pearl) would be a nice choice too, IMO.
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

No new pics yet, but I have gotten lots done, just not really stuff worth showing off, or really anything anyone would want to see. Its been all electrical really. Really boring stuff!! I did make a shifter that I'll post a pic of as soon as I get time though, and a couple brackets to mount the buckets.

One big plus though tonight, I finally got the right fuel tank, got all the wiring sorted through, connected the CV column and it cranked!! No fuel line connecting anything yet, but it cranked and the pump dumped fuel in the bed of the truck!! Might not be a big deal but I was afraid nothing would happen and I'd have to burn it :cussing: .... cause I'm not doing that electrical again!
plus many other's!
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

White seats look good but are hard to keep clean!
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

The "interior will be red with more red" comment made me think the decision to be made was regarding the exterior colour. Now I'm confused! :lol:
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Sorry M, to clarify, I have no intention of doing any body work to the exterior of this thing. I did however daydream of painting the doors a flat red, then the roof an off white......maybe. That'll be a LONG time down the road if I do that. What I meant was the interior will be nothing but red and I wanted a little something to off set that, so the decision is: red seats or white seats. I'm not thinking white vinyl will really be that hard to keep clean, I'm planning on a white in the Mach too.

Just looking for opinions.

Oh ya, I want to tint the windows red too.

Again, thoughts on that?
plus many other's!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

There is a link on here somewhere :D to a guy who built a Uni over on the HAMB that tinted his windows red and he claimed the red tint drove him a little batty :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Cool, I'm up to speed now. ;)

Here's the truck in question after the red tint was initially applied:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612409&page=12

He's also got red Mustang buckets in an all-silver interior (at least it was before the wild custom paint appeared, lol) so that may give you an idea of what contrasting colours would look like in yours.

I was also leaning towards white vinyl for the seat in mine, although I'm thinking of going with a bench. I think all red with red seats may be a bit much, whereas contrasting white would add some pop. Not sure how they'd look with red tint though. The colour cast from light shining through the tint might make them look pink.
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Good call on the 'pink' seats. I may just leave the tint out.
plus many other's!
randyr

Post by randyr »

You could go with red & white on the seats and paint the lower half of the dash white. That would break up the red without going all white on the seats. http://www.tmiproducts.com/mustang/brow ... seats.html

I think that red tint on the windows would drive me nuts after about 2 minutes!! LOL! If you really wanna test it out first, buy a cheap pair of red-lens sunglasses and wear them while driving for a few hours..... :wink:
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Alright, set back, not to sure how big....

Hooked up the fuel line last night, double checked everything, turned the key. Pump did its thing, cranked it, there was a pop from the manifold (no exhaust), and now I have nothing. I turn the key on and the cluster lights up, I mean everything lights up. The milage comes up on the odo, then it starts to cycle through to the hour meter, then the numbers all disapear and are replaced with dashes. What the hell did I do? What happened? Oh ya, my code reader won't connect now either so I can't even use that to diagnose it. The air bag light flashes 4-11, and I have no idea what that means either.

Anyone ever seen this?

Aside from this, I think I decided against the red tint......
plus many other's!
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Good call on the tint. Technically any percentage of side window tint is illegal in both SK and AB so it may not be worth the trouble (I would think red would attract more attention than grey or black). You can get away with it here in Calgary as long as you're not doing something stupid, and I don't think they target trucks, SUV's, and higher-end cars as much. I'm not sure what the level of enforcement is there, but here they make you peel it off on the spot rather than issue a fix-it ticket.

No idea what's up with the electrical issues unfortunately. :(
lowdown65
United States of America

Post by lowdown65 »

what tires and wheels are you running on it. I done the cv swap on my 65 and bagged it. Anyways, I'm running 18" wheels and when I raise it up I'm rubbing the fenders. All the way aired up I sit about the height your truck sits now. I guess I'm gonna have to keep trying different offset wheels.
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

CV wheels are on the front and will likely stay there just a different color. The rear are 17x9 cragars with 5" back space and 1" spacers.
plus many other's!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Lowdown I am doing a full 1988 crownvic frame under my 62 uni and if I have calculated right then the 15 X 7 with 4" backspace and 15 X 10 with 5 & 1/2 " backspace will fit just right and I am planning to go LOW :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
bcook07
United States of America

Post by bcook07 »

Airbag code 4-11: Restraint System-Impact sensor fault (LH Front Impact Severity Mounting Fault)

make sure on the DLC you have ground at pins 4 and 5 and B+ to pin 16

Pin 14 of the DLC should go to pin 23 of the pcm (can low)
Pin 6 of the DLC should go to pin 11 of the PCM (can High)

and pin 13 of the DLC should go to pin 44 of the PCM (FEPS)

The wiring to pins 14 and 6 Should be a twisted pair. I would verify these things and try to get the communication to the DLC back. Once you have this it may help narrow down what happened exactly.
1962 Ford Unibody SWB
1953 Ford F100
1967 Ford Mustang
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Got into it again last night, had an aweful day at work and needed a little 'me' time. I ran through all the grounds, found two that I had somehow missed, connected one, had to make a small braket for another, connected it all and it fired! Actually sounded real nice! Now I need a couple hoses replaced, need a tranny cooler, driveshaft cut, exhaust modified to fit, brake booster/master repositioned, inner fender trimming done....... The list is a lot longer than this!

Still, the goal is drive it out of the garage before the end of April. Guess we'll see.
plus many other's!
Husker

Post by Husker »

Nice job!
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Alright its been loong enough, its picture time!

68 Mustang buckets, not installed in this pic, mount pics are down the page. These were just mocked in at the time, but they're where I wanted them

heres the mounts I made. tried to keep the seats as low as i could, kinda makes it tight for a guy over 6 feet tall, but again, its where I wanted them. A little higher may have been more comfy, I guess we'll see if they stay where they are once I start driving it.

And the shifter I made, works good but I need to make a plate with the PRND21 on it so I'm not counting clicks all the time to know which gear I'm in..

And one last 'money' shot. I threw the doors on to see what it looked like all together.

plus many other's!
Husker

Post by Husker »

The CV front end swap has me really intrigued. It looks like it fits pretty darn good, how does the width compare to an aftermarket M2 kit?