62 shorty uni street rod build

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

390fastback
Canada

Re: 62 shorty uni street rod build

Post by 390fastback »

Its pretty wide, width wise for measurement I'm not sure but if you do a search here you'll find it I'm sure. I did it because I bought the whole Crown Vic for $500 and got the front end, engine, tranny, exhaust, complete wiring harness, Radiator/electric fan, pedals and I'm going to use the disk brakes on the rear of my 68 Mustang. For that money, I couldn't say no.

back to the front end, I'll be running the vic wheels. Newer Mustang wheels can be run, but I'm diggin' the steelies.
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
61flareside
United States of America

Post by 61flareside »

Truck looks great man. I'm right in the middle of a 4.6 swap so your build gives me hope. Very nice work man.
1961 f100 shortbed flareside
---Drop beam, flipped rear hangers, extended shackles, 4.6 w/5spd swapped from 02 mustang, always under construction
1996 f150 regular cab shortbed work rig
---6 inch lift, 33's
2010 Escape
---Wifes car
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

I had hoped to be able to retain as much of the original dash and controls as i could, but was aprehensive as to how I was going to be able to keep the original key, last night I figured it out. I pulled the switch from the vic column, and finally managed to pull the switch from the truck. Gutted the one from the truck and lined it up with the vic switch.....and smiled!

After some grindin on the inside of the f100 switch to accomodat the vic switch, it fit. Had to grind the key-way on the back of the F100 ignition cylinder to fit inside the vic switch, but it seems to be working. Had to assemble it all inside the dash as the lock cylinder doesn't work the way it used to.

The original key.
plus many other's!
randyr

Post by randyr »

390fastback wrote:I had hoped to be able to retain as much of the original dash and controls as i could, but was aprehensive as to how I was going to be able to keep the original key, last night I figured it out. I pulled the switch from the vic column, and finally managed to pull the switch from the truck. Gutted the one from the truck and lined it up with the vic switch.....and smiled!

The original key.

Brilliant!!!! That's awesome!!!!
Husker

Post by Husker »

Very creative way to fix the switch!
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Now that the electrical is pretty well sorted out I've moved onto assembly. I need to get this out of the garage!!!!

So I'm waiting on stainless hardware for the front fenders and the adaptor for the steering wheel. I picked up a red metal flake foam w/chrome spoke wheel for it, think it'll look kinda cool. I'll snag a couple pics once its in.

I POR 15'd the inner fenders and the inside of the front fenders also. Got the fenders loosly attatched untill the new bolts arrive (chrome bolts to hold on rusty fenders :bangin: ....)Anyway, got the firewall done, had to reposition the whole booster/pedal assembly. Painted it Tremclad fire red along with the interior. I just did the floor and the back of the cab and any metal I may have replaced along the line. The dash, as dirty as it is, is still not bad paint wise and I just want to leave it as is. I painted the tranny cover the same off-white as the wheels and the bumper, not sure if that'll stay or if I'll paint that red also.

Pic time:

I've since put the aluminum 66 grill I have in, but not to sure if I like the look. I took my body hammers to the original 62 grill the other night in a feable attempt to straighten it. Came out not bad, but still needs a ton of work. Starting to think the white grill would be a better 'fit' than the aluminum one. I had found a steel 66 I tried to buy, but the guy wouldn't sell, even offered to trade my aluminum one which is still in better shape than his, but no dice. Oh well. Once I got the hood on I realised I should have repainted the inside of it too!

At this rate, I'll have it done just in time to put it away for the winter!
plus many other's!
61f100uni

Post by 61f100uni »

390fastback wrote:Image

You Dont happen to have the part number for the linkage do you? I need the same one!!! Also diggin your shifter set up 8)
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Borgeson joint 013455. You doo need to grind just a little off the CV steering shaft to get it to slide on. Just a little!
plus many other's!
61f100uni

Post by 61f100uni »

390fastback wrote:Borgeson joint 013455. You doo need to grind just a little off the CV steering shaft to get it to slide on. Just a little!

Thanks Man! I'll order it right now!!!!!!
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Not a lot to report, got the driveshaft in, got the exhaust mounted up, tranny cooler installed, full of coolant (trust me its not easy). Just need to build shock mounts for the rear, axle and frame. And a new cross membeer to clear the driveshaft, just incase the rear springs decide to move! Then its road test time!!!!!!

Then after that......its chassis wiring harness time!!!!!! :cussing:
plus many other's!
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Alright, I got it all together last night, fired it up, stuck it in gear......and nothing!! Checked the tranny and it was low. Ran the engine, topped off the tranny, and still nothing. So for what ever reason I decided to check the trottle in gear, maybe the brakes were stuck? anyway I tried it, no throttle responce. I thioght OH NO!!!Lost patence and went in the house and had a beer.

Scanned it today, pulled P2104, P2106, P2111, and P2112. All throttle potioning related. After some reading on CrownVic.net I think I have discovered what hopefully is a simple fix. By running it with low tranny fluid, the PMC shuts everything down in a fail safe mode and you are S.O.L. to move the car again. So now that the tranny's topped off (i hope) I need to diconnect power from the battery and probably reset the throttle pedal through a simple process of power on, press and release, power off cycle three times.

Fingers are crossed!! I want edto smoke my new BFG's last night and was a little dissapointed.
plus many other's!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Ok tomorrow is half over :D did you smoke the BFG's yet is there video of the event :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Well, got it moving, but theres still zero throttle responce. Cleared the codes and its still pulling P2104 and P2112. So a little more research.

At least its moveing! Slow as hell but it moves!
plus many other's!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Well if its moving then your moving in the right direction :D. I got the front bumper off of mine now to get the 2 remaining bolts in the core support and the front clip can come off .

Rick
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

I fixed the no throttle responce issue, I won't say what it was, cause well, its embarrasing. But its fixed. Road test and all was well at low speed.... so I hit it! Hauls a$$ but won't shift out of first. On to problem 2 of lots!!
plus many other's!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Good to hear you got the pedal plugged in :D. Sounds like your close . I managed to get the front clip off and went and picked up a set of rims and tires will upload some pics to my build here shortly .

Rick
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Alright, its been a long time since I put up puics, so here we go, everyones favorite thing...

Progress pics!

engine cleaned up a little:

Hosed down on on the driveway:

Starting on the rear shock mount. Not a lot of progress here just figuring out what I need:

Fuel filler mod. Trying to keep the look of 'stuff' in the bed. Old gas (gazoline) can I've had for years. The fuel tank will be covered in cedar to look like an old chest to:

So thats pretty much where its at. Need to finish a few things, like figuring out why it won't shift up, why I have no front brakes, electrical, etc....
plus many other's!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Looks great . Need to find a chrome gas cap for that filler setup ( I love the concept ) just looks off with the new style cap on it . The other trick will be matching the patina on the doors to the rest of the truck :D.

Rick
Thomas1190
United States of America

Post by Thomas1190 »

That looks awesome! Very cool idea, I like it.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

The gas can thing is pretty cool !

I love real old school gas cans....