my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

Chipped some paint. I’m pissed.

Don’t bother with the aftermarket hood hinges from Dennis carpenter at all! Freaking garbage!,,

ImageImage
Can’t align the hood properly without 5 fender washer spacers between the hinge and the hood. And it still is too low.

No matter which way we tried, it just wouldn’t close!

Said screw this garbage after I stripped a bolt hole in the capture plate within the hood. I’m done.

Got online and bought the forward tilt kit from kevin stone.

Can’t seem to get timing right on my 223. Has a knock in it briefly when you gas it.
So seems like fuel is setting off too soon.

My gas pedal is fixed. Loosened up the bolts just a little allowing it to not bind on the linkage.

2 steps forward. 1 step back.

Feel like pushing this bastard out to the street and setting it on fire.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

I bought my hood hinges from lmc.i'm pretty sure all the aftermarket hood hinges for these trucks come from the same place.my driver side fit perfect but the passenger side not so much.thank god one of my friends does body work.we slotted the holes and a few fender shims and it works.is it perfect?no but it opens and shuts and doesn't line up too bad.he's always preached to me about fitting parts and alignment way before ever painting anything.
greentruck
United States of America

Post by greentruck »

Please do not set your truck on fire . Repeat! DO NOT SET YOUR TRUCK ON FIRE!
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I agree with "greentruck"....don't set that beautiful truck on fire....put the matches (or lighter) down....walk away for awhile...and come back to it with a fresh perspective. I've certainly "been there, done that" with mine a time or two. You just have to take a break from it sometimes.
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

off subject but working on "one" of the trucks. The brake juice is looking nasty... this was out of the master cylinder from the 2013 F150 FX4. I had the dealership flush it like two years ago when the master cylinder had a recall on it.

My front brakes have been completely overhauled back at 20K miles by ford under warranty. They said the rotors were warped, the calipers and pads got changed out too. Well, I am at 71K miles now and i started getting an intermittent pulse when braking. Not all the time, but if i was driving more than 10 minutes, it would start. I checked the bearings and it seemed fine. No grinding or anything. But, the amount of brake dust on my rims was insane. I knew my brake pads were just chewing down.
So I ordered a set of stainless steel brake hoses, and power stop brake rotor, pads and calipers.

this was after i scrubbed it!!!

Found my first rust bubble today in the paint.... passenger windshield post about half way up on the windshield side. I will monitor it... its something I can fix later.
Here it is at 7 years old. Its paid for... thats whats the best thing about it. Still runs and drives really well. No issues besides the minor things that need to be changed once and a while. I kept thinking of trading it and getting a bigger truck- UMM.... I need to not do that. Its paid for. :oops:

Up next... I have a airbag system I still need to install.
want new front and rear bumpers.
want to powder coat the rims (they are stock- aluminum.... can it be done?)
Add power stop brakes to the rear, and new stainless steel hoses aft
New exhaust system since NJ has rusted mine out.

Stuff to do on the F100= the hood tilt kit will be here on Monday. I have a buddy coming over again to assist mounting the hood and we will work on that tune again.
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I sure love the paint job on your slick. beautiful ! I started sanding my 65 last summer getting ready to paint mine (again) Had to quit for the winter. I hope to finish it when the weather warms up.

shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Kevin stone hood kit is here. Need help from friends to put it on... maybe today.

Never,ind that this is in my living room :mrgreen: I mounted the bench top blast cabinet to a HF roll cart. Since the cabinet is wider than the cart, I just flipped the top tray over and bolted it to the cabinet. This will go in my shed out back today.
Need to assemble the shelves in the shed first.

Working a little on the f100. I have another attempt at a shakedown trip on the ship tomorrow till Tuesday. We tried on Thursday but we had a major lube oil leak. Then the weather offshore deteriorated and we would have been stuck out there till today if we had gone. So, blessing in disguise. We got the lube oil leak fixed. Someone overtightened a flared fitting so bad the crimp slipped the tube and it just poured out,
What it’s supposed to look like

What it looked like when we found the leak

grump

Post by grump »

April, you shouldn't have any problem powder coating your wheels, the factory powder coats them. Are you adding air bags to your existing air bag system? Wasn't sure what you meant about the air bags. You're doing a great job on your slick.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

grump wrote:April, you shouldn't have any problem powder coating your wheels, the factory powder coats them. Are you adding air bags to your existing air bag system? Wasn't sure what you meant about the air bags. You're doing a great job on your slick.
Air bag suspension lift system. I have it on hand, just need to instal it,

Didn’t do any slick business today. Stripped all my junk from the shed and killed the mold that’s in there’s. Put up two shelves and put all the stuff I need to keep in there. The rest is in my truck bed ready for the dump(scrap old wood trim, moldy drywall chunks etc,
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Buddy couldn’t make it over the other day to assist with hood kit. His Ford Flex broke down due to transmission issue. 25k miles and the trans was 3qts low with no known leak. His F150 is in service for recall work.

I am 4 days out from deployment again. Same bat channel same bat place as last time. With exception- going south of the equator. I last went across the equator in 2002. Of a crew of 100-110, I have the oldest shellback. So I guess I get to chose what position I wanna play in the crews initiation. Muhhahahah :twisted:

Mom is flying out tomorrow and will be living here to take care of my dogs and house while I’m gone. Diesel needs dental surgery on Monday. He’s 12 so who knows how it will go.

Uncle same taking a chunk out of my butt this year. I pay a CPA to do my taxes and he screwed up last years and now I owe a chunk I wasn’t expecting. Ouch.

Took the next 4 days leave to do house stuff, clean garage, start the truck, and be with mom and pups a bit. If I don’t see you here before, see you in May.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Home from another round of WTf... at least we made it to and from on our own, with a lot less hassle than before.

Sailed 72 days from VA to Cuba, to Panama Canal, Pacific waters and then back through the Canal to home.

Two days ago my #1 ship service diesel generator lost its oil pump. Can’t fix that at sea without parts. We came home just in time. We blew the engine in one of the small boats chasing a go-fast which we didn’t catch. No drugs and thugs this trip but we did do the mission while no one else was really out there cause of COVID. We start a weird return to work schedule starting tomorrow with no days off for rest, but we can’t complain cause we still get days off.
Glad to be home.
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

April, glad you made it back safe! Thanks for your service! Yes, these are strange times we are in. I’m not sure how much has changed when you got home, but I’d imagine it would be like walking into a dystopian future.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Got a little courage yesterday to finally wire in a breaker to my electrical panel in my house so I could wire up the air compressor.

We unwired it in 2017 when I left the New Jersey house. I moved to VA and the first house just wasn’t big enough in the garage to do anything. Then I bought my schnauzerhaus in 2018. I got the idea of running electricouttotheshed and moving the compressor out there. I may still do it, but don’t want to dog a trench, deal with all that and then move that heavy beast. So, I left it unattached for two more years.

I wired in a new breaker, put a whip on the compressor and tried it out. Works great.

Progress!

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Welcome back April! Looking forward to more progress
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Morning April
I've been hopping on and off this forum for months and wanted to check you out, and see if you were putting around in that great looking ride of yours yet.

Don't be scared, they don't all stay perfect for very long. Started driving mine again as a daily driver, and it's constantly something to do all the time (mostly small stuff). But the fun of driving it makes it all worthwhile. BUT...then again mine is not quite as nice as yours.

I'll be back and checking on you again. Rick
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Not yet. We had a ridiculous in port period with the lowest bidder doing work and almost resulted in a major catastrophe. My #1 ship service diesels generator prime mover destroyed itself at the main bearings, like fatal condition of a Diesel engine age 38 years old. We have 21 days to change it out with a different one and rush to our patrol which should have started tomorrow.

My dad is here at the house to take care of the house and dogs while I sail, but also deal with the engine issues.

Yup, a but scared to drive my 63... seen too much destruction on my ship lately. I’m tired,
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Dang, and I thought I suffered a lot of stress. You have a LOT going on my friend. God given intelligence tells us that all things must be done step-by step....and first-things-first. I think you already have things in order. So yeah, I agree the truck can wait a bit longer.

At least until you can clear all the other stress out of you mind. Praying ALL goes well....and be safe.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Came me from work Friday night Andy found my dad not well, I took him to the hospital suspecting heart attack. I was right. He was in surgery within 30 minute s from moment I got home. He’s doing well, and should be out of hospital tomorrow. He and mom insist he stay here to get thru some appointments and taking care of the pups.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Great that he is doing well. Worked out well that you got home when you did and weren't out on patrol.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

First time in years I got that hood to fit. It’s not perfect but it shuts and latches.

Kevin stone Copperstate components kit installed.

You definitely need more that yourself to do this- hence why it has taken me 7 months to get it done.

Engine has a knock in it.. timing it sounds. I just don’t know what to do anymore,