Nicks 63 Uni

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

Re: Nicks 63 Uni

Post by kstones63 »

Ken,
Send me your email address and I will send you some pics of the forward tilt hood kits and the installation instructions so you can see what is involved with installing these. I have a general email for the business but I didn't know if that would get to you.
The tank arrived as scheduled and in good shape. I forgot to let you know that it had arrived. Sorry.
We won't get the tank installed for a little while. I need to finish the steering and then the tank should be next on the list.
I have surgery again on Tuesday so I will be laid up for a while again.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Kevin,
hope the surgery goes well, our thoghts will be with you.
Just a thought on the steering, when I raised mine, I also shortened the collar that holds the column. If you do not get the geometry right, you will get the steering wheel in your lap. I do not think it will be a problem with a tilt steering column.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I have the steering wheel mount within about an inch of the dash instead of the aprox. 4" drop that is stock. We are using a tilt column in this truck so it should be fine like we have it now.

The surgery got postponed until Thursday because the surgeon couldn't get insurance approval in time. :(

Kevin
kstones63
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

kstones63 wrote:Ken,
Send me your email address and I will send you some pics of the forward tilt hood kits and the installation instructions so you can see what is involved with installing these. I have a general email for the business but I didn't know if that would get to you.
The tank arrived as scheduled and in good shape. I forgot to let you know that it had arrived. Sorry.
We won't get the tank installed for a little while. I need to finish the steering and then the tank should be next on the list.
I have surgery again on Tuesday so I will be laid up for a while again.

Kevin

Kevin,
Just shoot it to my work email sales@ruttersrodshop.com . Hope all goes well with the surgery and give us a yell if I can help you find anything else..Ken....
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I am back to getting some work done on this project.
The steering column is mounted and hooked up. I made a 1 piece plate to replace the original 2 piece plate at the floor. I put nutserts in the floor to bolt it down.
I made this clamp and welded it to the new floor plate. I slotted it so that I could tighten it up, welded a couple of brackets to it for the bolt and now the bottom can be tightened down securely.
I guess that we could have bought a universal swivel mount for the floor but there isn't any fun in that.
The goal for this weekend is to hopefully get the new fuel tank mounted in the rear of the frame. I have been working on drilling out rivets to remove the middle crossmember. It seams like Ford must have at least 50 rivets in that piece. :boxing: I am getting there but it is just taking time. I still have the body on the frame so it isn't the easiest thing to get to, especially the ones on the top of the frame.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

How do you like that hole in the dash that the previous owner put in there????
He had gauges mounted in the dash. It appears that he had 1 gauge in it and then converted it over to 2 gauges. :shock:

Kevin
kstones63
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

kstones63 wrote:How do you like that hole in the dash that the previous owner put in there????
He had gauges mounted in the dash. It appears that he had 1 gauge in it and then converted it over to 2 gauges. :shock:

Kevin

I bet that old truck loves having your special touch working on it compared to the abuse it suffered from the PO that had it before! :clap:
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Very nice !!! :clap:
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
Sweet6T6Ford

Post by Sweet6T6Ford »

Wow! A lot of progress in just under a years time. Really an awesome build... Cant wait to finish my suspension mods and now i keep thinking about irs while im at it. Always attention to detail with any of your projects im curious to see what will be modified next. Good luck!
Robert
http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/uofmfresh/
"In the silence of the night if you listen quietly you can hear your neighbors chevy rusting"-- unknown
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

It is great to be able to finally get back to work on this project. It has sat too long.
The weekend before, I took the rear suspension loose and dropped in down lower on the frame rails. The truck sat lower in the back than in the front. I now have it just a little bit high in the rear but we still have weight to add to the back end. The Jag lower control arms are running downhill to the outside so if the extra weight(fuel tank, tonneau cover & misc) doesn't bring it down where it needs to be, I can adjust the top shock mount to bring it down.

Sweet6T6Ford, The Mark VIII rear IRS are pretty cheap to buy and appear to be fairly easy to install.
The Jag front and rear are pretty reasonable to buy if you buy a complete non running car.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I did get the fuel tank installed this weekend. I need to cut off my mounting bracket when I take it back out. The wide material is what I had in the garage.
We had hoped to not put a back bumper on this truck but it appears that we will have to just to cover the tank.

Kevin
kstones63
randyr

Post by randyr »

kstones63 wrote:I did get the fuel tank installed this weekend. I need to cut off my mounting bracket when I take it back out. The wide material is what I had in the garage.
We had hoped to not put a back bumper on this truck but it appears that we will have to just to cover the tank.

Kevin

Kevin, you might be surprised at how much the tank can "disappear" by painting it black. I painted mine with some black Rustoleum truck bed paint. Yes, I have a bumper but yours will be sitting a lot lower so the eyeline may hide it more than you think. Certainly worth checking out before hanging a bumper on there. The unis have a cool roll pan and it seems kinda sad to hide it behind a bumper..... :D

Before black paint:

After
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I hadn't gotten that far thinking yet about black paint on the tank. That might just do the trick. :) I will have to try it and let Nick see what he thinks. He really doesn't want a rear bumper on it but if we need to, we will.

Kevin
kstones63
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Kevin, you also need to consider that most viewing will be from a height of 5' and not a worms view your pictures are at. That, plus with the truck lowered (not sitting on skates), it's harder to see under it even more.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

LM14 wrote:Kevin, you also need to consider that most viewing will be from a height of 5' and not a worms view your pictures are at. That, plus with the truck lowered (not sitting on skates), it's harder to see under it even more.

SPark

you are correct on that. The driveway slopes down so the pic was taken at the worst possible position to show the tank. I will get it painted black and put the truck on the ground before we make the final decision.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I finished up the power window motors today. I had them so I figured that I had better get them done before I misplaced them and we have to get them again.
The motors with the plastic case will work but it is a lot more work to get them mounted. I had to cut pieces out of the regulator and reinforce it to make it work. I put this piece in to make up for the cut for the motor to clear.
I had to cut a hole in the opposite side for the plastic case to clear due to the angle of the motor.
I had to weld a tab on the top of the regulator for the top mounting bolt.

Overall it worked out pretty well. Now on to the next phase whatever that may be.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

The Saturn window regulators have a slightly smaller guide pin to go into the Ford regulator bushing. I drilled out the bushing with a letter U drill bit (.368), bought a brass bushing(3/8" od x 1/4" id), pressed it into the original bushing and drilled the inside with Letter O drill bit (.316) for the regulator guide pin. This made a nice fit for the motor. I forgot to take pics of this process but it is simple.

Kevin
kstones63
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I built an exhaust tip for the back of the truck this weekend. I am considering using this if it turns out good. This is where I am at right now.

Kevin
kstones63
randyr

Post by randyr »

kstones63 wrote:I built an exhaust tip for the back of the truck this weekend. I am considering using this if it turns out good. This is where I am at right now.

Kevin

That looks pretty cool, Kevin!!
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

That is pretty cool and subtile. How will you finish it off? Chrome, powder coat, header paint,....?

Made out of stainless steel and then polished would finish it off nicely! :wink:
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )