Franken-rod

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cnb

Franken-rod

Post by cnb »

alright guys, I'm finally getting into my project now. I have been tinkering on my slick since I got it 6 or 7 years ago. I met some great hot rodding friends that are a great influence. and heres where it gets strange and I get the hate mail/comments. I recently acquired a '94 s-10 . im currently doing the tear down on the dime to use in my project. I will be using pretty much everything except the body. it currently has a v-6 with a 700r4 trans. im probably going to drop in a 305 that a buddy is donating after he drops in his 350. this is why I am calling my project "frankenrod". tis will be an interesting build and hopefully will be on the road by the spring. wont be completely finished, but street worthy enough.h
totten
United States of America

Re: Franken-rod

Post by totten »

What year is your truck? Should be a nice combination of driveline. Tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
cnb

Post by cnb »

it will be a 94 s10 chassis and drivetrain and a 65 f100
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

Great , Would like to see pics. of its progress. Tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
cnb

Post by cnb »

not sure how to upload pics to replies. ifi can figure it out I will post
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

What are you going to do about the track width of the S-10? 2wd S-10 track width is about 7" narrower than the earlier Slick track width, even more so compared to the front of twin i-beam trucks.
cnb

Post by cnb »

not sure about the front exactly, wheel spacers possibly. ill cross that bridge when I get there and see the difference. as far as the rear I have some wide wheels for the back ad again ill have to see what ive got as far as spacing and go from there
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

No offense as I love seeing creativity, but you may be better off selling the rolling S-10 frame to somebody with an earlier truck (or another S-10) and finding something closer to a Slick in track width. There really isn't a safe way to push the wheels out far enough to look anywhere near right. Even if you found someone who would make such a spacer, the scrub radius will be so out of whack that it will make for terrible steering and handling, not to mention the increased parts wear. Also, unless someone swapped in an earlier engine and trans you have a 4L60E that will complicate a V8 swap.

Here's a '54 (similar overall width) with on an S-10 chassis with standard backspace 7" wheels:
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_ima ... _large.jpg

You could easily graft a GM/ Ford/ Jag front clip to your existing frame and you'd end up with a far better driving setup that puts the wheels where they need to be without huge spacers. If you want GM components and a "new" full frame, a full size truck would be a much better fit. I'm all for using what you have when you can, but this is one of those times when it's not a good choice. My $0.02 and then some :)
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

S10 front wheel bearings are known for wearing out very quickly with deep offset wheels. You are building a maintenance headache.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Deep offset AND spacers= pretty scary IMO. S-10's utilize a fwd type offset to further complicate the spacing.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

^The S-10's definitely have a specific offset for the 4x4 trucks but I believe the 2WD trucks actually use a pretty standard offset. Still, I agree that spacers plus a deep dish wheel isn't the best solution and it would be prudent to consider things like scrub radius, offset, and tire clearances at this stage of the build.