Is there a trick to removing FORD lettering emblems?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rderr

Is there a trick to removing FORD lettering emblems?

Post by rderr »

I am just beginning my restoration/repairs project (1966 2wd) taking my front clip apart slowly thus far. Every bolt so far has been a fighter! I was wondering if there is a trick or any special tool needed to remove the FORD lettering from the piece above the grill (not even sure what that piece is called)?
Thanks,
Rick
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Is there a trick to removing FORD lettering emblems?

Post by unibody madness »

Rick,
Not sure about the emblems(someone will be around with the answer), I do recomend however a good spritzing with either a 50/50 mix of atf with acetone, or Kroil a few times on all old parts before disassembly. Makes it much easier on the knuckles ears and temperment.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Those pieces have speednuts retaining them. Once the grille is removed you can access them from the back side, although it is easier IMO to remove the valance itself, then remove the letters. You will really enjoy the fasteners at the cowl! They are accessed from inside the cab, including fender mount bolts hidden behind cover plates.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
rderr

Post by rderr »

Yep, I had a run in with one of the fender bolts behind the cover inside the cab. The fastener kept spinning and there is no way I could find to get at it. I ended up wedging a prybar far enough inside the fender well to but enough bind on it to somehow pop the numt free from the fender. I felt lucky at that point!
Thanks
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Very common! Anyone know a source for thin 18" long Visegrips?
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
HiBoy63
Ireland

Post by HiBoy63 »

On a 66 upper grille the letters are held on with barrel clips. Either wait till you have removed that part or find a thin strong flat blade to slide under them and lightly pry upward. There are strong plastic tools made for that on the market. You might try eastwood or a strong thin putty knife. I have used the putty knife method with good results. If they wont come off wait until you have the part removed and push them thru from the backside. For rusted bolts a good soaking with rustbuster for a few days and then heat if you can get a torch tip to them.
1963 F250 4x4x292
1965 F100 4x4x352
1998 F150 4x4x4.6
2001 Sport Track 4x4x4.0

In case you are wondering thats Ireland......Freedom is not Free!!!!!!!!

Heritage country Flag