Lokar shifter preference for a C6 in a 1966

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rcb1020
United States of America

Lokar shifter preference for a C6 in a 1966

Post by rcb1020 »

Lokar shifter preference for a C6 in a 1966 F-100 , what's a comfortable height or the most popular ?
1966 Ford F100 SWB

1966 Ford F100 Camper 4 x 4

2009 Ford F150 4x4
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Lokar shifter preference for a C6 in a 1966

Post by unibody madness »

Not sure what your asking but I have a 460 c6 combo in my 61and It came with a tall shifter that makes it look like a stick. Looks great and shifts just fine
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

RCB
This question is like asking what color you should paint your truck. It depends. If you're doing a rod style or custom, the longer sticks look good. If you're building a race car, you don't really want a Lokar shifter, and if you're wanting a sort of stock look, a medium length.
I wanted a Rat Fink look and went with the 18" unit. Works and looks pretty much like what I wanted.
Sit in your seat and see what is comfortable to you and measure the distance from the floor to your hand. That should tell you.
Before the console.
After the console.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

Yep it's all personal preference. But for range depending on whats comfortable for you it could fall anywhere between 12"-24".

I personally like Gennie Shifters better than Lokar. We are dealers for both. My truck will get a Gennie. They used to be a bit of a pain as orders could take a while. That seems to be resolved now. I actually just got off the phone with them a few minutes ago placing an order for a car we are finishing up right now....ken....
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

I have the tall shifter and it came out the same hole as the 4 speed.
rcb1020
United States of America

Post by rcb1020 »

Looking for a factory look , 460 / C6 stock combo
1966 Ford F100 SWB

1966 Ford F100 Camper 4 x 4

2009 Ford F150 4x4
65fordguy

Post by 65fordguy »

I am running a 23" Gennie Shifter on my c6... it is a gated style shifter.. not a straight line like the lokar.

to me it is safer shifter..
in park the shifter is up and to the right.. you have to pull left and down it clicks in reverse.. goes down and clicks over into drive and you can pull over and down into lower gears...

with the lokars I have used its a touchy lock button that you have to push .. which i've heard folks at shows tell me stories of them popping in gear.

http://www.gennieshifter.com/shifter-23inchultra.php
plus you can run any kind of cool or stock style knob.. like me.. i have a stock 4 speed shifter knob. and the knob it came with looks like a stock knob.. just has the detent locations laid out like a stock shifter knob.

http://www.gennieshifter.com/knobs-home.php
and they have a big selection to choose from.
65 f100
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

Yep Gennie the Gated/Detent style is much better in my opinion. Look at the number of newer cars that come that way. A lot of your higher end makers have used the gated/detent style for years.

As I said we are a Gennie dealer. I can actually get almost the same pricing on Lokar even though we aren't a dealer, but would buy Gennie even it it were more.

If you go with the Lo-Stik style it's also SUPER easy to change out to a different shift arm in about 5 minutes. something that takes WAY longer on a Lokar.

I push everyone that ask here at the shop towards Gennie....