64 going down

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

50adrod

64 going down

Post by 50adrod »

my 64 getting a Linc Mark VIII driveline including the rear independent suspension, mustang II front suspension, full air ride with accuair.

before
62 belair seats
Fully boxed the frame

air ride and fuel tank

61blacklowrider
United States of America

Re: 64 going down

Post by 61blacklowrider »

SWEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I only hope that is not a rust free bed floor your going to destroy in this process. Kinda makes me sick to see a good bed destroyed , when most in my area would kill for a good bed floor. Nice build otherwise, and looks like a nice truck to start with. To each their own, and good luck with the build.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Just curious as to why you didn't use the CV/Marquis/Mark from cross member rather than the Mustang II? Couldn't get it low enough?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Grits,
I can answer at least part of that. The Mark VIII is an air strut-sprung suspension, and does not readily adapt. My reason for utilizing the MII setup on my low rider is partly what you stated, as well as the additional width of the CV/Marquis/Town Car seems more noticeable on an extremely lowered truck. The MII can be made quite low with readily available drop spindles, which should allow some semblance of acceptable ride and suspension travel. I have a police package CV setup, and it will eventually go under one of my projects, just not one this low!
50adrod's stance is about what I want to achieve, and I will probably end up modifying the MK VIII mounting in a similar manner to achieve this., although I intend to mount it without bed modifications. As noted in other posts, the setup has excessive camber when set at this height, but should be acceptable when aired up to cruising height. If that proves false, it appears to be an easy chore to correct at the upper arm mount.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
mikec66
Canada

Post by mikec66 »

this truck is looking awesome. I love to see this stuff. hardly wait to see more pics. Keep up the good work. I too have a 64 and just put in a mustang 2
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Love it! Please post more as you progress!

Why the Lincoln set-up vs. the usual method of a c-notch or a step-up and an aftermarket air-bag system? I think it's an excllent idea, just curious what the reason was?
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

That Is Going To Be A Nice Set-Up On An Already Great Looking Truck. Great Work!
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

64 f100 wrote:I only hope that is not a rust free bed floor your going to destroy in this process. Kinda makes me sick to see a good bed destroyed , when most in my area would kill for a good bed floor. Nice build otherwise, and looks like a nice truck to start with. To each their own, and good luck with the build.

Rich

bed had a sheet of 1/8 plate welded in it already
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Oregoon wrote:Love it! Please post more as you progress!

Why the Lincoln set-up vs. the usual method of a c-notch or a step-up and an aftermarket air-bag system? I think it's an excllent idea, just curious what the reason was?

because it is something different than the usual C notch that is done so often, it will also ride and handle better, and it was free with the donor car. I have a crown vic front suspension I was going to use but it is a little to wide for a truck this low, you would have wheel clearance problems on turns when it is down. the truck is 3 inches off the ground when all all the way down. ride height is about 5 inches above that. I will be running accuair system
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

how you get e mail notifications when this thread is replied to? I did not see it in preferences
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

rear wheel tucked

rear raised floor going in

I have new wheel tubs ordered they will be widened and raised just a little

frame painted

Charlie'sChopShop
United States of America

Post by Charlie'sChopShop »

Cool Build I'm right their with you on my build but I did go with the CV ft end and I channeled it into the frame about 2". I left the rear end even with the floor of bed as mine will be used as tow rig. who did you get your wheel wells from? What are you doing about the trans and the wiring harness?
Thanks
Great looking truck!
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Charlie'sChopShop wrote:Cool Build I'm right their with you on my build but I did go with the CV ft end and I channeled it into the frame about 2". I left the rear end even with the floor of bed as mine will be used as tow rig. who did you get your wheel wells from? What are you doing about the trans and the wiring harness?
Thanks
Great looking truck!

I am using the entire Mark VIII driveline including the trans, wire harness and instrument cluster.
the wheel wells came from Toms Bronco Parts http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/ ... w-pair-tbp

I raised my bed floor 3 inches so all the air ride and fuel tank could be hidden, it will have a finished cypress wood floor
Charlie'sChopShop
United States of America

That what I'm going to try to do that as well I got the factory wiring book. I'm using a "Tanks" mustang gas tank for EFI. My friend has a 63' uni it has huge tubs. Hopefully I can get some work and pics posted here over the holidays.
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Charlie'sChopShop wrote:That what I'm going to try to do that as well I got the factory wiring book. I'm using a "Tanks" mustang gas tank for EFI. My friend has a 63' uni it has huge tubs. Hopefully I can get some work and pics posted here over the holidays.

with the independent rear a mustang tank would not fit. I used a RCI fuel cell with a pump from tanks inc
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Charlie'sChopShop wrote:Cool Build I'm right their with you on my build but I did go with the CV ft end and I channeled it into the frame about 2". I left the rear end even with the floor of bed as mine will be used as tow rig. who did you get your wheel wells from? What are you doing about the trans and the wiring harness?
Thanks
Great looking truck!

here is a crown vic bagged for you Charlie, are you bagging it? if so I have some pictures of it done. you have to fab your brackets but it is not hard
http://s923.photobucket.com/user/oomatt ... 4.mp4.html
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

50adrod wrote:
Charlie'sChopShop wrote:That what I'm going to try to do that as well I got the factory wiring book. I'm using a "Tanks" mustang gas tank for EFI. My friend has a 63' uni it has huge tubs. Hopefully I can get some work and pics posted here over the holidays.

with the independent rear a mustang tank would not fit. I used a RCI fuel cell with a pump from tanks inc

I am going with an early Mustang style tank from Tanks, Inc. to keep the tank depth at 6". The rear-most crossmember will require re-location, and some trimming of the frame upper flange at the crossmember directly behind the IRS is required. The only obvious dis-advantage IMO is the fuel filler in the bed floor. I may modify ther filler neck to pass through the d.s frame rail and utilize bent hard tubing to extend the filler to above tank full level.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Charlie'sChopShop
United States of America

50adrod :looks cool. Not sure if I'm going with air on the front right now. I had a 60's chevy in the past with just bag in the rear. I'd fill the bag according to how it was loaded when I left the house. I plan to auto cross this truck if all goes well. Where/How did you relocate the shocks?

Paul: That's where I'm at so far and as far as I can tell hard piping the filler neck is going to be the only way to make it work. I plan on using it. I'm probably putting mine on the P.S. only cause the MK 8 cluster shows it as being on the p.s.
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Charlie'sChopShop wrote:50adrod :looks cool. Not sure if I'm going with air on the front right now. I had a 60's chevy in the past with just bag in the rear. I'd fill the bag according to how it was loaded when I left the house. I plan to auto cross this truck if all goes well. Where/How did you relocate the shocks?

Paul: That's where I'm at so far and as far as I can tell hard piping the filler neck is going to be the only way to make it work. I plan on using it. I'm probably putting mine on the P.S. only cause the MK 8 cluster shows it as being on the p.s.

I hope to be doing the shocks soon, just need to measure and order shocks.
The Mark VIII fuel gauge in the cluster will not work with other senders, the ohms range is from 160 to 380 if I remember correct. you may get it accurate at empty with resistors but it will be off otherwise. the factory sender is part of the fuel pump housing and it snaps into a ring in the bottom of the factory tank. I am using an aftermarket fuel gauge.