64 going down

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Toyz
United States of America

Re: 64 going down

Post by Toyz »

Ya'll are going to have a lot of fun with the wiring! Searching down the circuits that are needed and their relation to the various "nag" devices is lots of fun.
I've played with the Mark VIII's for a long time, and it is not particularly enjoyable even for someone who likes wiring challenges.
Sounds like you are on top of it ,though.
I've thought of integrating the ABS and traction control as well as the factory air suspension sensors. I may end up with F150 ABS to eliminate the need for adding sensors to the MII front.
Do Ya'll intend to stay with the original wheel bolt patterns or modify? I have retained the original 5x5.5 on the front, but don't think I will be able to redrill the rear for that pattern. Easiest out for me is Cobra rear hubs and change back to the MII pattern 13" front rotors.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

ride height

motor in for good

on its way to my home shop
Charlie'sChopShop
United States of America

Post by Charlie'sChopShop »

Toys I'm not looking forward to it the wiring. as far as the rear I just used a spacer/adapter from 4.25" to 4.5" and they also made the rear track centered in the rear wells. You can have your rear hubs re drilled or the also make a kit to drill them your self if that's your thing. I will probably do this down the road as ca$h allows so that I car also run wider wheels.

50adrod Looking good.
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

fabbed up some seat mounts for the 62 Impala buckets

seats mounted

Mounting the Mark VIII shifter

console rough cutout
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

Looks good. Are u planning on a carb conversion or leaving it EFI?

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

FORDMANLCRACKEL wrote:Looks good. Are u planning on a carb conversion or leaving it EFI?

Lonnie

Never mind I backed up and read the whole thread. lol

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Toyz wrote:Ya'll are going to have a lot of fun with the wiring! Searching down the circuits that are needed and their relation to the various "nag" devices is lots of fun.
I've played with the Mark VIII's for a long time, and it is not particularly enjoyable even for someone who likes wiring challenges.
Sounds like you are on top of it ,though.
Do Ya'll intend to stay with the original wheel bolt patterns or modify? I have retained the original 5x5.5 on the front, but don't think I will be able to redrill the rear for that pattern. Easiest out for me is Cobra rear hubs and change back to the MII pattern 13" front rotors.
Paul

any tips on the wiring before I get started? I am using the instrument cluster, engine and trans control and cooling fan control. I am using the 64's body harness for lights and wipers. also I had my rear hubs and rotors drilled to a 5x4.5 pattern for $150 much cheaper than cobra hubs.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If you don't have a Lincoln EVTM, I would highly recommend getting one. You have already noted and dealt with the fuel sender incompatibility. Do you intend to utilize the Lincoln message and climate control panels?
Air ride sensors could be repositioned if desired, or that circuitry can be bypassed and removed. A lot of items of the "nag" sort are easily eliminated such as headlamp sensors and controls. There are a few "dual-duty" circuits which will be fun to chase down.
One suggestion would be to find an un-confined area to work while identifying and eliminating circuits; it will take up some room.
In retrospect, if you intend to use the center panels; I believe I would utilize the complete harnesses, then trim in place as wanted or needed.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Toyz wrote:If you don't have a Lincoln EVTM, I would highly recommend getting one. You have already noted and dealt with the fuel sender incompatibility. Do you intend to utilize the Lincoln message and climate control panels?
Air ride sensors could be repositioned if desired, or that circuitry can be bypassed and removed. A lot of items of the "nag" sort are easily eliminated such as headlamp sensors and controls. There are a few "dual-duty" circuits which will be fun to chase down.
One suggestion would be to find an un-confined area to work while identifying and eliminating circuits; it will take up some room.
In retrospect, if you intend to use the center panels; I believe I would utilize the complete harnesses, then trim in place as wanted or needed.
Paul

I was a ford tech for 33 years before I opened my shop and the first thing I did was find an EVTM on ebay, those were the best manuals ever produced, ford quit making them (go figure) not using the message center or A/C controls, most of the underhood harness will be used minus the lights, ABS and airbag circuts. my air ride will be handeled by Accuair so that can be eliminated. there will be way more circuts not being used than being used. any tips on the dual duty circuts you came across?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Sounds like you are eliminating those which came to mind!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Toyz wrote:Sounds like you are eliminating those which came to mind!
Paul

thanks
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

a little more progress

console getting fiberglass

after last coat of glass, just needs finish work

original gauge bezel filled in

Mark VIII cluster installed, this was a ton of work but it came out nice

another console shot

totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

Nice work.Thanks for pics,Tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

How are you fabbing you bed mounts after raising floor?I have been thinking of doing the same thing on my Uni but have not decided to attach body to frame.
Every day above ground is a good one
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

62bigwindow wrote:How are you fabbing you bed mounts after raising floor?I have been thinking of doing the same thing on my Uni but have not decided to attach body to frame.

I left the front and rear sill in place and just built a second floor above the first floor then cut out the center section. I will fab up some mounts for the center section, really all that is needed if you do not carry real heavy loads are the front and rear mounts.
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

molding the Mark VIII shifter trim in place

had to get resourceful it was late and I did not have modeling clay so looked around the shop and found some plumbers putty. it worked.

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

It's looking good! Lots of ingenuity and work there!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
50adrod

Post by 50adrod »

Steering column installed and steering linkage hooked up. it is a IDIDT tilt and telescopic column

custom gauge pods installed just need to finish molding in

accuair e level controller recess installed in console, needs finishing work

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Your Truck Is Coming Together Nicely. I Like The Way You Did The Console & Dash Bezel. Also I Really Like The Contour Of Those Seats, They Look Like They Have A Bit More Padding Than The Mustang Buckets....
-=GS=-

Post by -=GS=- »

What are the details on the IDIDIT steering column you used? How long is it vs. the stock one? Was it difficult to install, I'm about to do this with my truck as it gets the Mustang 2 cross member.