Nor-Cal 1962 F100 4X4 Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ToughOldFord

Nor-Cal 1962 F100 4X4 Project

Post by ToughOldFord »

Some of you know I tried to sell this truck, but since I'm not getting any takers I'm just going to start working on her in my spare time. Rather than clutter up the sell thread that'll eventually get deleted anyway I figure I'll log repairs here in case someone's bored and would like reading material. :wink: :lol:

I'll remove the add related stuff and re-post the particulars of the truck here since I've had it a long time there is a little history to it:
ToughOldFord wrote:I've had this truck since the '90's. In '99 I pulled it off the road due to the differential housing gasket leaking.
Now, it hasn't been sitting since '99, I start it up occasionally and use it for jobs around the property.

1962 F100 4X4
351C with Holley 4bbl, dual exhaust.
4 speed. Warn hubs.

Surface rust, but not much body rust. Some in the step area, cab mounts look solid.
Redneck body repair, fiberglass mat over the door mirror mounts, carriage bolts on the lower fender corners. Various dings and screw/bolt holes on doors.

Brakes work fine.
Clutch is good.
Heater core started leaking so it's bypassed right now.
All glass is good.
Not much of an interior.
Gas tank leaks.
Rear differential leaks. (Gasket)
40 Channel Uniden CB
Bed is really straight, inside and out including the tailgate. One rust spot under the r/s tail light.

ToughOldFord wrote:Okay, here's the pics I promised. I was wrong about the 'rust' on the steps, what I thought was bad rust turned out to be mostly red mud. There is a little rust through, but it's not bad.
However, the left side floorboard is worse than I thought. I lifted up the carpet and took pics. The right side looks decent, but the left side will need some work.

Rather than clutter up the board with a lot of pics I put them in photobucket and link it here.

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/ToughOl ... F100%204X4

ToughOldFord wrote:So, had some time so I've been doing a little bit of work on her, changed the oil and filter, gas filter, cleaned up all the unnecessary wiring under the hood from past POs. Replaced the gaskets on the carb, but I'm still trying to dial it in, I always have difficulties with Holleys.

Greased the chassis, checked all the gear oil levels minus the rear axle, transmission and front axle were good, transfer case took a little to top off.

What's interesting is this truck appears to have been originally a cab and chassis or possibly a factory flatbed if Ford ever had such a thing. The frame in the rear is completely straight, no arch over the rear axle. And every moving part has a grease fitting like a fleet truck, every spring end, every shackle.
It had a utility box on it when I bought it, I had to hunt around for the era-proper bed that I have on it now.

Been fun actually to work on something that's simple and sturdy with lots of room for hands and tools. Getting too used to the newer stuff where everything is a tight fit and the parts are looking for an excuse to break.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Nor-Cal 1962 F100 4X4 Project

Post by slick4x4 »

Good for you
That truck will bring you more smiles than the money will
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Well, the money sure wouldn't last a fraction as long! :lol:

Got a replacement fuel tank today thanks to a helpful member here! Thank you John!
Installing it will be my next step so I can pull the fuel cell I have sitting on the tool box.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Looks like you have a good start.
It was a pleasure to meet you this weekend and thank you for the hood.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Pulled the old tank for the last time. Haven't installed new tank yet, took the time to clean some rust and dirt from the back of the cab and upper and lower tank mounts and then coated it all with rubberized undercoating. Looks good and shouldn't need attention again for a long time.

Cleaned and repainted the heater box. Doesn't look like my idea of modding a 65/66 core to fit isn't very plausible so that part of the project is on hold for awhile.

The bed is in such good shape it still holds water. A lot of it. Drilled a drain hole to let it all out.

Next will be installing the new tank then a hiatus from repair as I need the truck to move another load of wood.
unibody madness
United States of America

Looks like your getting at it pretty good.
Just a thought ...I would put an extra inline filter before the fuel pump just in case, maybe right below the cab. although I cleaned it out real good it did sit for quite a long time after.
Turk build thread at:

ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

That sounds like a good idea, I'll do that when I put the tank in.

It's been raining so working on it has temporarily halted.
ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Almost forgot, stopped by pick n pull and scored a couple of door panels. Mine were home made wooden ones, PO had actually done a nice job on them, but moisture over the years caused them to get soft. When I started working on the truck I had to pull them to lube the window linkage and they were just too rotten to put back on.

The new ones have 4" speaker holes in them, but I'm okay with that, it's just a good a place as any for the speakers in this truck.
ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Finished installing the new tank today. Installed an extra in-line filter under the cab, replaced the rubber fuel lines there while I was under it.

Pulled the temp fuel cell. Worked on the carb some, got it pretty close to dialed in. Sounds pretty good. Took her around the block, first time on the road since the '90's! Man, I do NOT miss incandescent head lights. :shock:

Time to get that wood.
unibody madness
United States of America

Sounds great. Aint it fun when you get them back on the road?
Turk build thread at:

ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Yep, nothing drives like old iron!
ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Got that last load of wood up the hill and off loaded. The 4x4 works great still. Can't keep that carb dialed in though, the floats won't keep their settings. Think I'm going to try an Edelbrock, never cared much for Holleys.
ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Not too much to report right now, been doing a lot of work on the Valiant.

Did pick up an Edelbrock 1406 for the F100, just need to get some base gaskets and get her mounted.
ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Got the new carb in:

Full tune up: (Pic is pre-coil install)

Last edited by ToughOldFord on December 23, 2014, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToughOldFord

Post by ToughOldFord »

Managed to get a replacement heater core and blower motor, reassembled the heater box, just got to put it in.