240...will not fire???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gary Seymour
United States of America

Re: 240...will not fire???

Post by Gary Seymour »

Either an internal sort happened inside the coil, or the coil has been seeing too much voltage. Some High Performance coils have internal resistors. Others rely on external ballast resistors or like on our '60's trucks, a resistor wire.

With the key on (run) check the voltage on the battery side of the coil. It should be like 9 volts, I believe, without the starter cranking.
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Thanks Gary, I will check it out, don't need that to happen again.
The weathers here, wish you were beautiful.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Any spec of oil on the points will be problematic. I would suggest replacing with a quality set of points and gapping, setting dwell and re-timing. It might be worthwhile to have your current coil tested.
As previously stated, you may have multiple problems; I 'm still leaning toward centrifugal advance issues.
Input voltage is not as much an issue as the capacity of that input. If your wiring is damaged, available amperage may not be sufficient.
An easy test would be a jumper wire from battery to coil + terminal. If performance improves, wiring may be an issue.
The usual caveats apply; remember that with the jumper; shutting off the key will not kill the engine, and extended usage of the full battery voltage, especially when not running; may damage components.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

So I purchased an electronic point kit from Hot Spark fr my distro. Has anyone worked or used one of these kits before?
How well did it work?

I also purchased a carb rebuild kit for my Holley. In addition bought new vacuum line to carb just in case.

Last but not least thoroughly cleaned up the disto to remove any "oil" from the ignition coil explosion.

I should have an update no later that Friday night.
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Got my hands on a dwell meter. Keeping my fingers crossed I have my slick running by Saturday.
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Update.

She is alive and running great! The electronic point kit from Hot Spark is terrific, and the truck fired up first try!!

I set the timing, and took my truck our for a ride with a buddy following in his truck. All went well and no hicups. :burp:

The Hot Spark was the best money I have spend so far. $50, and the truck works again.
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Update:

Simple was the best plan.
I found a wire from my distro was loose at the connection to the ignition coil. Replaced connection, checked all order connections, and screws in distro.

Fired right up, smooth idle, cruised it all weekend without any issues. I will drive it to work tomorrow, just to be sure.

Thanks for all the advise.
Danimal
United States of America

Post by Danimal »

Update:

Drove my Slick to work for 3 days now......all is working as it should.

Really makes coming to work enjoyable. Makes going home even better!!