"Brake-Upgrade"

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shadow

"Brake-Upgrade"

Post by Shadow »

Getting Ready To Refurbish The Manual Drum/Drum Brakes On Connie's 62' Flareside. Rather Than Replacing The Stock Single Pot MC I'm Seriously Considering Using The 68' Mustang Dual Reservoir MC. I Know A Lot Of You Have Gone This Route. Has Anybody Got Pic's And Part Numbers For The Mustang MC & Push-Rod I'm Going To Need For A Straight Forward Bolt-On Application? After Doing My 64' F250 I Have A Pretty Good Source For The Rubber-Lines, Wheel-Cylinders, Steel Line Etc. Any Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated, As I Want Her To Be Safe & Really Enjoy Driving This Truck............
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Re: "Brake-Upgrade"

Post by Uncle Skip »

Shadow. The brake master cylinder is a direct bolt on for the straight axle trucks. The only possible issue is the push rod, and different lengths are available from the junk yard, and I'm pretty sure somebody makes an adjustable one.
Personally, I would use a Willwood manually adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brake line http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/wilwood-brake-proportioning-valves
and just for cool factor if nothing else, I'd mount it inside the cab on the drivers side NASCAR style.
This is the setup I used for my disk brake conversion on Nadine and like I said, if I had it to do over, I'd mount my valve on the dash..... 8)
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Uncle Skip wrote:Shadow. The brake master cylinder is a direct bolt on for the straight axle trucks. The only possible issue is the push rod, and different lengths are available from the junk yard, and I'm pretty sure somebody makes an adjustable one.
Personally, I would use a Willwood manually adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brake line http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/wilwood-brake-proportioning-valves
and just for cool factor if nothing else, I'd mount it inside the cab on the drivers side NASCAR style.
This is the setup I used for my disk brake conversion on Nadine and like I said, if I had it to do over, I'd mount my valve on the dash..... 8)
Skip, That's A Cool Setup To Be Sure. I Won't Be Needing The Proportioning-Valve With The Drum/Drum Setup Though. Just Looking To Find The Most Simple Cost Effective Bolt-On Dual-Reservoir MC With The Right Length Push-Rod.....
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I used one for a 68 f100 with manual brakes. I had to cut the rod down to fit, but it wasn't hard to figure out.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

I used a power booster and M/C for a 67-72 in the 62 I'm doing now even used the bracket off of the 67. I'm going drum/drum brakes no proportioning valve but haven't been able to test it out yet. hope this helps, BTW the M/C was like $17 at oreallys. Jeff1146911468
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13778&p=119319&hilit=brake+master+cylinder#p119319

This is a thread that you should mind informative.
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )