PurpleFlyingMonkey electric window upgrade

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

PurpleFlyingMonkey electric window upgrade

Post by Uncle Skip »

Just found out that the motors we're using in Tweetybird are not burned out. Seems that there is an internal switch or thermocouple inside the motor that turns it off if it jams. You know, like a kids neck or arm caught in the window.
Also seems that it resets itself after a few minutes.
Our problem was that the test lead we were using shorted out. New test lead, motor works.
We learn something new every day.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: PurpleFlyingMonkey electric window upgrade

Post by bobenhotep »

That is correct. On all of the window motors I have messed with made by GM, there is an internal thermal circuit breaker. I found this out while working on an astro van that had window motors that would move a bit then stop. They would move some more if you waited a few minutes. I looked and saw the breakers on the wiring schematics. Sure enough, if you take them apart there is a bimetal strip that overheats and breaks contact. Good to know you won't have to get new window motors, or that you now have spares.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.