A couple wiring questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

truckster

A couple wiring questions

Post by truckster »

Has anyone here bypassed the starter relay? It seems like it isn't necessary and can be eliminated altogether. Also, on the back of the ignition switch mine had some sort of rubber protector. I called a run of the mill parts house and they said they didn't carry it. Can I just use stake-on fittings on the back and then use tape to "protect" the exposed blades? I hate to rig it up if it's incorrect. If this doesn't seem right does anyone know where the get the rubber part for the back of the switch? Thanks
SC1966
United States of America

Re: A couple wiring questions

Post by SC1966 »

You shouldn't bypass the starter relay. The ignition switch wires are too small gauge to handle the starting current. They will melt. Heat shrink on the blades would be better than black tape, but the whole switch can be replaced for under 20 dollars.
truckster

Post by truckster »

Ok. That makes sense on the relay.

The thing with the ignition switch is my switch looks brand new. It's the rubber part on back that plugs into the blades that's no good and it doesn't come with a replacement switch. I'll just do the stake ons with some heat shrink. I'll feel safe with that
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Truckster.
It's a little more complicated than just using the blade type connectors. I have a drawing I'll bring to Pate and show you so it will make more sense.
That and I probably have one of the rubber plugs that I can give you to splice in.
Patience Grasshopper. Only three more weeks.
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
truckster

Post by truckster »

That would be awesome. I've found out that I'll be working that weekend unfortunately. However, I'll see if I can break away earlier in the morning on Saturday or Sunday and come out there
Last edited by truckster on April 9, 2014, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

As Unc says, a rubber plug is by far the best way to go. However I found a way of putting multiple wires in the same female lug end. I then used small zip ties to make a nice pig tail of the different colored wires for each post and have had no problem in three years. Having said that I will probably start having issues immediately :lol:
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!