1964 F100 body and paint, with a little mechanical stuff too

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

TxStang2010
United States of America

Re: 1964 F100 body and paint, with a little mechanical stuff

Post by TxStang2010 »

well done ! :clap:
64f100sixcylinder

Post by 64f100sixcylinder »

Made some more progress today. Driver door hung, buffed driver fender, then hung, front valence and above grill panel also installed. I ran the engine for about a minute to move it in instead of pushing, it stalled and wont start. I'm pretty sure my battery is done, turns over REALLY slow then solenoid just clicks. I'll swap another battery and see if that fixes it tomorrow.
myoldman460

Post by myoldman460 »

So when are you going to detail the engine?
64f100sixcylinder

I'll detail the engine last, I need to degrease it and pressure wash it. I want to give the paint as much time as possible to completely dry before I start spraying degreasing chemicals.
64f100sixcylinder

I made a new negative battery cable and another 1 gauge cable for the starter from the solenoid, pulled the battery from my mustang, installed it in the F100, and it fired right up, then stalled. I realized that I didn't put much gas in the new tank, so I added a couple gallons, tried again and it ran great. So it took the F100 for a short ride, very short since it has no hood, windshield, front bumper, grill, seat (I sat on a tool box), lights, insurance, registration, etc. Shifting on the column will take some getting used to.
64f100sixcylinder

I prepped the bed and tailgate for the DIY spray Raptor bedliner made by UPOL. The directions say to sand with 80 grit, degrease, mask off, and spray. I bought the tintable kit, it came with four 750 ml bottles of liner, hardener, and a Shutz gun. It said add hardener to the line on bottle, add your urethane paint for color, shake for two minutes, and spray. It was very easy to spray, 45 psi at the gun gave me a texture I liked. If I were using this on a truck bed that would see actual use as a truck bed, I would recommend buying two kits to make it very thick. Time will tell how this holds up, but I really like the look of it. I may buy another kit and spray the underside of the bed, it's not very expensive, I think I paid $125 with shipping.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

You are doing great! I like how you work. I find it interesting how that Grabber blue looks (from the pics anyway) to be close to the original Academy Blue but with an exxtra kick. I think I might be jealous. :mrgreen:
64f100sixcylinder

Thanks. My truck was originally Academy blue, I like that color, but I like Grabber blue better. Academy blue seemed quite a bit darker.
My battery was completely dead, and the thought of spending over $100 on a new one sucks. So a friend told me to go to Advanced Auto Parts and ask about a used battery, he said he has bought many from them (he's a dealer). I went and asked, and sure enough, they have a rack in the back room with used batteries for sale. They only resell batteries that were originally sold at Advanced Auto. They come with a 60 day warranty and it was 42.99 + $5 core. I believe they are all the same price regardless of size, so I got the biggest top mount they had, 700 CCA.
64f100sixcylinder

Got a lot done today. Windshield installed, what pain that was, it took about 3 hours. I think the gasket was the main problem it seemed like the rubber was not pliable enough, gasket came from LMC truck . Once the windshield nightmare was over I installed the hood with help from my father and my son, that went like it should. Also installed the wiper pivots, mirrors, hood emblems, new wheels, new gas cap with seal, and lastly removed a birds nest of mechanics wire from the shift linkage and replaced it with the proper pin.
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

That looks absolutley awesome! love the blue and white roof, the wheels really set it off to! Great job!

BUT, gotta ask for a pic of the coupe....since you just teased us with it!
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
64f100sixcylinder

The credit for the white roof goes to my wife, she said it would look good painted white.
As for the coupe, it's a 66 I got in 2008 as a wreck. It now has more new sheet metal than old, the 6 cylinder has been replaced by a marine 302 backed by a C4 transmission ,that I rebuilt with a B&M rebuild kit, 72 Mustang front disc brakes, and an 8 inch with crappy gears sits between the rear tires.
Gottkts

Post by Gottkts »

Truck looks great, I love that raptor liner. I've used the tintable and black on jeeps and four wheelers, great stuff.
64f100sixcylinder

I'm hoping the liner holds up as good as it looks
64f100sixcylinder

Today I got the grill painted. I had it prepped and in primer, so i sanded it and shot the areas I wanted black first. Once those dried I masked them off, sprayed the rest white, unmasked the black, and cleared the whole grill. The bumper and some small pieces got some fresh paint today also. Once everything dried I cleaned and painted the marker light housings, installed them into grill, then put the new Dennis Carpenter lenses with gaskets, into the grill. I then put the grill on the truck and started putting the headlights in, but the adjusters were shot, so I only got one in until I get new adjusters. The bumper was next and was an easy install. Lastly I slid the radio into the dash opening I made, I like the fit, and a modern radio will be nice while driving.
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

IS THAT THING WINKING??? VERY SHARP!! WELL DONE!!
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
64f100sixcylinder

It was winking, but I installed the other "eye" today. I got all the lights installed and working, that took me all day. The turn signals would work, then abruptly stop. I traced it to the fuse which was corroded and covered in overspray. Once that was cleaned up they worked correctly. The brake lights did not want to work either, that was a damaged wire going to the turn signal switch, the previous owner installed a new switch and probably damaged the wire pulling it through the column.
64f100sixcylinder

Today I installed the carpet that I got from ACC Auto Custom Carpet. It doesn't look like it in the pics, but it's a molded carpet. The carpet needed some trimming, but once that was done it fit great. I found the easiest way to make holes for the bolts was to get a punch hot with a torch and push it through the carpet. It makes a nice clean hole with no fraying, I located the holes first, then marked them with a marker. I have no trim for the step area, that trim seems to be very elusive and is not reproduced, I'll just have to keep searching. The truck is now registered and legal, just waiting on the upholstery shop to finish my seat so I can drive it.
64f100sixcylinder

Before & after
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Great Job!! The before and after is always cool to see. And the Mustang is sweet too!
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

That is sweet. Just the way I like 'em.