SHORTENING MY SHAFT

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

therealjoeshmoe

SHORTENING MY SHAFT

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

HAS ANYONE GOT ANY ADVICE OR PICTURES OF ANYONE SHORTENING THEIR STEERING COLUMN.. LOOKS LIKE TO ME WOULD BE EASY, BUT ANY HEADSUP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. I JUST WANT TO TAKE PROLLY 3" OFF, ITS CUTTING INTO MY COMFORT ZONE.. LOL
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
Mr. Jones

Re: SHORTENING MY SHAFT

Post by Mr. Jones »

How about Weight Watchers,worked for me.....
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

You could add a power steering box and go with a smaller diameter steering wheel. :2cents:
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
therealjoeshmoe

WEIGHT WATCHERS IS OUT OF THE QUESTION I LIKE TO EAT GOOD FOOD.. LOL

NO POWER STEERING I LIKE MANUAL...

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Image Image Image Image
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

You just have to take it all a part and find the easiest places to shorten everything the same length, and than get it back together strong and straight.

Maybe you might see if you can find an old column from a van of the same era? they COULD be shorter?

I know if I was shortening the earlier type I would put a collapsible rag joint down near the steering knuckle so that long *ss shaft would be less likely to jab me in the chest in a crash, and it would be easier to work on from then on.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I wasn't going to touch this one but.................
I have a 33" long stock column. If you're going to shorten the one you have take it to a professional welder and have him TIG it. Take no chances here.
Mock it up with a dowel or old broom stick to get your useable length.
But remember, when you change the length of the steering shaft, you'll have to relocate the bracket that mounts to the dash and change the angle of the whole assembly. Personally, I'd use a closet dowel and use a big lag screw to hold the steering wheel on the dowel. Drill the center of the dowel so you don't split it with the lag screwand then tape the other end to the steering box with a lot of duct tape so you can adjust it to your body.
Good luck Bud..... remember, measure thrice, cut once.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

foodstick wrote:You just have to take it all a part and find the easiest places to shorten everything the same length, and than get it back together strong and straight.

Maybe you might see if you can find an old column from a van of the same era? they COULD be shorter?

I know if I was shortening the earlier type I would put a collapsible rag joint down near the steering knuckle so that long *ss shaft would be less likely to jab me in the chest in a crash, and it would be easier to work on from then on.
X2; you'd be well served by cutting the old shaft and adding some flexibility to it. I much prefer a u-jointed piece rather than a rag joint, but you may be able to find a collapsible shaft which can be
"trialed and errored" to an acceptable length, thus giving you flexibility and a little better crashworthiness.
Two caveats, for starters; if you don't modify the angle of the column, you may find the bottom of the wheel now tends to contact an, uh, uncomfortable area! If you DO modify the angle ,(and you will!), without a flex joint, you will be adding failure potential to an already poor design.
The second caveat? Don't try to take the easy way out and buy one of the $174.99 eBay columns. If you choose to ignore these caveats, please post your intended route to Slickstock!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
loosrp

Post by loosrp »

Cut a ton outta mine, scribe a straight line down the length of the column to give you a reference as to TIG weld it back together. Just making the column shorter is not gonna do it for you... You need to raise it and change the angle as well. Best thing to do is put a aftermarket tilt column in, don't waste your time messing with the stocker like I did.
Russ
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

I have been building columns for years and never cut a column.. I have seen so many sites telling on how to cut column,, sorry but this is touchy,, If not done right you and other people on road are at risk of injury on what I have seen brought in to me will scare you cause you read it on the internet on what some a$$hole has done that is way off,, also a lot of places will not cut columns due to not wanting to take responsibility on killing somebody, just like if somebody wants seat belts from us I cut every one I am not taking somebody's else life in my hands,,,, sorry but if you think column, shaft, tube has to be cut, then a lot of times where bottom bearing is will have to be redone in different location,, sorry steering rag joints are better since they have a safety measure with those 2 little pins are there to save your life if rag joint breaks those 2 little pins will allow you to get to the side ,or avoid from head on,, any other joints when they break your history and the truck will go wherever it wants to
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
White97

Post by White97 »

Ididit has tilt columns for our trucks. Drop in, ford wiring. I looked into it for mine (manual), was about $650 with their required rag joint. I held off for now because I have a complete PS set up sitting there just need the FE mounting bracket for the Ford pump. Have to get of the fence PS or not.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

While I understand the hesitancy to shorten a column, I've done it numerous times. You have to shorten both the shaft and the outer column. I've cut out the length needed, then ground a taper on each shaft. I welded with my MIG and then tested the weld with an old wheel and the shaft held in a vice. Done right you'd strip the teeth at the wheel, or twist the shaft before the weld would fail. I would say that you do not want to try this without solid welding skills and a welder that has the ability to penetrate 3/8" material. The 110V units will not cut it here. The dash mount will also need to be re-located.
therealjoeshmoe

i cant just use a hack saw to cut it off and slide some conduit over both pieces and then just bolt through the shaft?? :bangin: lol

Image Image Image Image
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

therealjoeshmoe wrote:i cant just use a hack saw to cut it off and slide some conduit over both pieces and then just bolt through the shaft?? :bangin: lol
why bolt it just fill it with JB weld. :clap:
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Joe, I shortened one once and would not do it again for two reasons, first it`s just not all that safe and I worried about it every time I drove it and the second is that all it does is put the steering wheel down lower and closer to your lap, reducing leg room. My vote is with Lou and get a tilt column, which actually moves the wheel away from you giving you more room for legs and shirt buttons...
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
FordChild

Post by FordChild »

Alan, I'm not so sure we should be taking advice from you... your steering wheel is ALREADY on the wrong side of the dash! Just sayin... :)
66 F100 CC
67 Ranchero RHD
97 F250 HD
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

FordChild wrote:Alan, I'm not so sure we should be taking advice from you... your steering wheel is ALREADY on the wrong side of the dash! Just sayin... :)
!CF tniop doog a staht.................... :? :lol:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif