Ole' Mule

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

gmack192
United States of America

Ole' Mule

Post by gmack192 »

Hey all, new guy here (actually Guy, but friends call me Mack). I am in the process of getting this beauty, hopefully with in the next few weeks. I have been watching it for several years. My girlfriend (she approves) and I were Jeep riding Saturday afternoon and I saw a fellow in the yard. So I pulled in the drive to ask if it was for sale. He said he didn't know, but hollered at another guy, who yelled back, "Give me $1500.".. I almost Jizzed...

I had a 66 when I was a kid, that I got from my Dad (he insist it was a 65), any how, I failed to pay for it, so he sold it...My loss. I will try to find a picture of it.

This truck is pretty solid other than the tailgate and drivers floor (new pan included). Everything is there along with a lot of new parts, but it has been sitting for quite a while. There is a newer 302 under the hood and an automatic in the bed.

It will be a long term project as I have a few others going on..

List of projects.
New house (Hope to be in before Christmas)
Jeep (mine D.D. mostly bolt on goodies)
65 G.T.O. (Mom's she is 82, so I am the caretaker)
83 Toyota (woods truck, always something to do)
65 F100 (CANNOT wait to get it home)

Best friends projects that I am also involved with..
79 CJ-5 (frame up rebuild.. all over my shop and the county at this time)
79 Trans Am (it has been in a back yard body shop to be painted for 5 yrs.)
69 Charger (Jared has been watching this car for 30 years, got it last month)

We have enough to keep us busy for a while..

The 65 F100 Custom Cab
gmack192
United States of America

Re: Ole' Mule

Post by gmack192 »

The Jeep and the Goat

And the Yota
gmack192
United States of America

Post by gmack192 »

Well after a short and VERY WILD ride, I got the old girl home. My Buddy helped me by pulling it up out of the sellers drive way. As we topped the crest of the driveway, I discovered what the term "no brakes" means. Down the hill we went, backwards. Fortunately the guardian angels were on my side. A quick cut of the wheel and we were off the embankment... Again luck kicked in and the tow strap snapped and down the embankment we went, forward.. We came to rest at the bottom, straight and unscathed.

When we all settled down, I winched it up on to the dolly for the ride home.. We made it without any more issues.
gmack192
United States of America

Post by gmack192 »

I finally had a little time to clean up the truck some. First I cleaned the leaves and trash out of the bed, 2 LARGE bags full. The bed floor is good and solid with some light surface rust. Today I sprayed it down with some bleach and pressure washed the mildew off of it.. along with some of the paint.
I went to a buddy's shop today and got to talking with him about the truck and what I want to do with it. He has been looking for one for along time and has one lined up. But he wants to put his on a Crown Vic frame, the good news there, is the one he is getting has the original everything.. SCORE for me...
gmack192
United States of America

Post by gmack192 »

The truck was originally White with Red interior. I want it do it back In Red and White.
Like this.

And yes, I swiped the pic from here. Please don't get mad, its my inspiration.
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Welcome from Al. Looks like a good starter from here :lol: Tell us where your located. Might be a member close. Love the goat.

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

:welcome: f r o m
K A N S A S

looks like a straight truck to start with , Congrats !
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

You know you are getting the right truck when you start out with exciting no brake adventures and nobody, or nothing was hurt !
gmack192
United States of America

Post by gmack192 »

Thanks guys, I'm located in Kingston TN. near Knoxville. I tried to add it by my avatar, will try again.

I dug up some pics of my old 66 ( Dad says it was a 65 ) but it had a 66 grill, so who knows.

I was a "rat rodder" before it was cool.. When this picture was taken, it had a 350 Pontiac engine and automatic trans. I know, I know but it was CHEAP (16-19 year old punk) and Lord would that old mule FLY.
Pack Rat
United States of America

Post by Pack Rat »

I bought my 66 a month ago. Drove it on the trailer. Unloaded it and blew a brake line on first test drive. Lucky for me I live in the country and no harm done. You might want to look over the brakes real good. Lost brakes again on mine yesterday. Blew the right front wheel cylinder. Nice looking truck.
1966 F100 240 3speed
1968 F250 Camper Special 390 C6 with 70 Sells slide in camper
1964 Galaxie hard top. 390 dual quads
1962 Falcon soon to have 428 4 speed and straight axle.
gmack192
United States of America

Post by gmack192 »

Pack Rat wrote:I bought my 66 a month ago. Drove it on the trailer. Unloaded it and blew a brake line on first test drive. Lucky for me I live in the country and no harm done. You might want to look over the brakes real good. Lost brakes again on mine yesterday. Blew the right front wheel cylinder. Nice looking truck.
It has ALL new brakes from the pedal out, the previous owner bought the truck about 3 years ago, but didn't do anything with it. The owner before him replaced everything, but never put fluid in it.
I am planning on going though everything, cleaning, painting and making sure it is right before it leaves my shop.
gmack192
United States of America

Post by gmack192 »

I haven't been able to do much with the Ole' Mule due to house and work issues. Wouldn't life be great if all we had to worry about, is playing with our toys...
I did score some old school wide wheels off craigslist. I was able to trade the wheels that were on the truck (after I polished them, UGH).

The fronts are just over 8in wide and the rears are about 10.5.

I started sand blasting them ( a lot of work and time) with my dads sandblasting box. It works ok. The wheels had gobs (many colors) of paint on them.

Since it took so long to do the one wheel, I got some stripper to do the other 4, (stock wheel for the spare) this is some NASTY stuff. If you ever use it, please use caution.

I primed and painted the wheels with Rustoleum Hammered Silver. The plans are to run dog dish hubcaps and beauty rings. I just haven't decided on which hubcaps. I would like to get some Ford GT caps if they will fit.
gmack192
United States of America

Post by gmack192 »

Well I finally got all the wheels painted. I will try to mount the tires tomorrow. The poor Ole' Mule looks pretty pathetic sitting on 3 jack stands and a flat tire.. While waiting for paint to dry, I got bored and looked at some of the things I need to do. The guy I bought the truck off said it has a 302, well looking at the firing order, it appears to be a 351W. Still not sure if I am going to keep it or go back original.

So many ideas and plans, not enough time or money...Such is life.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I believe the roller 5.0's shared the 351 firing order.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
gmack192
United States of America

Post by gmack192 »

Toyz wrote:I believe the roller 5.0's shared the 351 firing order.
Paul
I was told it came out of a van, and it is a 2 barrel engine.