Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Hi Steve, nice job on the concrete… just go ahead and spill some oil on that floor, gives it some character :-) I like to keep an old carpet piece under the truck, while I am working on it… catches the spills and easy on an old mans knees.

I like the wheel , suits your truck perfect.
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

JeffinMooresville wrote:Hi Steve, nice job on the concrete… just go ahead and spill some oil on that floor, gives it some character :-) I like to keep an old carpet piece under the truck, while I am working on it… catches the spills and easy on an old mans knees.

I like the wheel , suits your truck perfect.
Yeah...I'm trying to keep the concrete clean and white as long as I can...lol. I got a 'steal' on the wheel, I was not sure that it would match as close as it did. I got lucky on that.

On another note, the truck has developed an intermitted miss. It would 'stumble' occasionally as we rode down the road. Saturday, for the third time, it quit running as we were driving home and backfired hard and loud. It did start back up, but it sounds like it blew the baffles out of the mufflers. I was louder sounding from the exhaust. I am positive that it is a short somewhere in the ignition system. I thought that it might have jumped time for a moment, but it doesn't sound at all like that. The 292 engines were not known for jumping time. I have a loose wire somewhere that is causing it to shut off and stumble....I'll find it
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Loose Nut! It's almost always a loose nut....lol. The nut on the stud on the positive side of my coil was not tight. That took care of the stumbling problem. The last backfire blew one of my mufflers apart at a seam....that's a hard backfire! I managed to hammer it back together and get it sealed up and saved the muffler. It's a good day!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Trying to figure out how to post a video on here. I installed a garage door opener yesterday and fabricated it to work with my carriage garage doors. There's also a really cool '64 F-100 in the video. Working on getting the video on here....
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Glad to see you're still improving to garage-mahal :D :D
Looking forward to the video if you figure out how to post it
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My wife's nightmare wrote:Glad to see you're still improving to garage-mahal :D :D
Looking forward to the video if you figure out how to post it
Well....I can't upload a video on here. If someone knows how, please let me know. I might get some pics of what I did...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Here is pics of how I installed a "Genie" garage door opener to my carriage doors. Works like a dream...it's very quiet and smooth even for a chain drive.
Hopefully this might help someone else who might want auto door openers for their swing-out or carriage doors. The cost of 2 Genie openers at Lowes $127; 4 - 1/2" electrical metal conduit $5.75 each; 4 small brackets which I don't remember how much. I spent about 2-3 hours installing and figuring out the first opener and doors. Then installed the other side the next day in about 2 hours. That is stopping for coffee intake and "release" through-out the process, lol. There are several helpful videos on YouTube...here's the one that helped me the most, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRiusx ... WL&index=1

And one more pic from the outside with the doors closed....and some random truck sitting out front, lol.
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

Very slick Steve. That is ingenious or as some would say, way to think out of the box.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

grump wrote:Very slick Steve. That is ingenious or as some would say, way to think out of the box.
Thanks! I am standing on the shoulders of some other genius, lol.
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Did you report that random truck to the authorities? I'd like to know when it will be put up for auction if they removed it from your property
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My wife's nightmare wrote:Did you report that random truck to the authorities? I'd like to know when it will be put up for auction if they removed it from your property
I did...they almost arrested me for filing a false report, lol.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Not much going on lately. I did get a tear/hole in one of my rear Monroe Max-Air shock absorbers. I had to order another set, which is being delivered today. In reality, it was my fault...(insert long story/explanation here). Anyway, make sure that there is nothing that will rub, lol. Some guy on one of the Facebook truck groups posted about an aftermarket fuse panel with six circuits and uses the newer "blade" type fuses. I ordered one and might try to get it installed and rewired this week. It has LED lights beside of each of the circuits that lights up if the fuse is blown. It appears to be a good unit, so we will see.

On another note, our little town of Wytheville, Virginia has its yearly Christmas parade and they advertised it on Facebook this year. They have the usual floats, etc and also part of the parade is "antique" vehicles. I filled out the form to enter the parade and voila'...I'm in the parade this year with my '64. That's about as exciting as it gets around here, lol.

Everyone be safe...life seems to be getting back to normal...whatever that is. Have a great Thanksgiving with your family, love one another and pray for our country!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Spent some time in the garage yesterday trying to figure out the wiring to the light switch on the truck. I thought that I had a wiring diagram for my '64 F-100, but it wasn't complete...or accurate. I don't understand why Ford decided to put the fuse panel as part of the light switch instead of having it as a stand alone unit. Anyway, it had 5 fuses in it (the old glass tube fuses) and I think that I have the circuits all figured out. The heater fan, turn signal (circuit), radio and dash lights are the main 4 and there was a larger fuse that had constant power running through it. I never figured out why the wiper motor didn't have a fuse. I plan to run switched power to my new fuse panel and separate the 4 circuits through it. That way I don't have to "stand on my head" to see if a fuse is blown. In reality, the only blown fuse that I have had since owning the truck (7+years now) was the small fuse for the dash lights. I blew that one working on the speedo and gauges, lol...and it took me a while to figure out the problem and find the fuse. I am a little apprehensive about doing this...every time that I try to upgrade something on the truck with the intent to "make things better" I end up having an issue that I have to deal with. Part of me is thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lol. But on the other hand I like the idea of using the newer blade type fuses and having the panel where I can get to it easily. We will see.....

Hopefully I will not burn my truck down doing this....lol..... and I am disconnecting the battery and using a voltmeter....
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

I used one of those fuse blocks for "hot in run" circuits on Hexenschuss. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to see if its going to work as I've planned it in my mind, but its going to do exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I did this to keep from stacking wires on the ignition switch. I also switched to a 65-66 headlight switch so I lost the original "fuse panel" but I used another one of these blade-type panels to run those circuits through.
As long as you use fuses you shouldn't worry about "burning down your truck"!! :D :D
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I had previously posted about a '66 F-100 just sitting behind what looks like an abandoned house just a few miles from my house. An older gentleman, who lives close by, said that the owner was in prison. He also thought that the owner would be released soon. The house is completely covered with vines and trees, etc and part of the roof has completely collapsed. Anyway....about the truck...it is mostly complete and fairly straight, looks like it has been sitting on blocks for years. Three of the four wheels are gone. There was a Tennessee title for the truck in the glove box with a signature on the back. The rear tag is faded but has a 1977 "year" sticker on it. I am hoping to get in touch with the owner and buy the truck. I has a 352 with automatic tranny and has power steering. This truck was probably "special ordered" from the dealership originally. I haven't been able to determine if the engine is locked up or not. I was thinking about parting the truck out if I can obtain it....but I started thinking about restoring or repairing it. Not sure....the first hurdle is to buy the thing....we will see.....stay tuned. Here's a pic...
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

if you end up with it i think i have a spare passenger door glass you can have.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

ratrapp wrote:if you end up with it i think i have a spare passenger door glass you can have.
Thanks! I'm thinking that I have one stored somewhere in my basement....but I'm not sure, lol.
1964 F-100
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Since you already have the shining example, wearing it's white sunday best.
How about leaving the new one in his work clothes, straight from the fields.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

FarmMotorSports wrote:Since you already have the shining example, wearing it's white sunday best.
How about leaving the new one in his work clothes, straight from the fields.
Yep....that is what I've been thinking. I still have to find the owner....who is supposedly in jail (or prison).....This truck has fantastic patina!
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Nice truck for sure, good looking set of backup lights on it too. Hopefully you can locate the owner and ownership can change hands. Slickitis has struck again. You can't have just one!