Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

My wife's nightmare wrote:I sure hope the pumpkin works out for you. It was a pleasure to meet y'all again!
Yes! I enjoyed out "parking lot" visit...I am anticipating installing the pumpkin within the next week or so. The pinion seal should be here today. I've recently gotten another (unanticipated) "project" going as of last week. My oldest grandson turns 16 in February (how'd that happen?) and my son-in-law and I obtained a "first car" for him. It needs paint and a few other minor things done to it...so that might take my attention (priority) for the next few weeks.

Everyone stay safe out there...social distance, but stay close to those who are important in your life...and wash yer hands, lol.

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I have "another" project going on right now...I can't post about it because the "new owner" doesn't know about it...yet. It's a surprise. I'll post updates when I can.

My truck is on the back burner due to this "mystery project." Weather has been bad and the roads are salted and slagged like crazy, so my truck is mostly sitting in the garage...I don't want my truck to rust anymore, lol.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I just shared these pics on another thread...thought that I would share them here. The year was early '90's and I found the '66 F-100 in a local field. The owners dad had used it on a farm and I bought it for $1000. It was light yellow, rusty, and had a huge dent in the driver's side. In less than a year the inline 300 engine threw a rod. I scraped money together and bought a new longblock to install in it. I also swapped the manual 3 speed out for a C-4 auto. I painted it in my backyard one Sunday night after church in the summer. My wife followed me around with a spotlight so I could see what I was doing, lol. Single stage Acrylic Enamel dark green. I loved that truck...still wish I hadn't sold it.

My wife wanted an old car to drive around...so I told her to find something and we would restore it. Sure enough, she found the '61 Falcon in a barn (that was before barn finds were the rage, lol) with 48,000 miles on it. I thought that we gave $1200 for it, but she reminded me that she haggled the price down to $600 (I stand corrected, lol). It needed a repaint, but otherwise was in excellent condition. It had the little 140 cubic inch sewing machine engine with a 2 speed (yep, I went to the Library and looked it up in the Chilton's manual for that year) automatic tranny. It was faded red and had been wrecked and repaired on the driver's side, of course. She wanted it Candy Apple Red...and so it was. Still wishing that we had not sold that one too.

So the moral of the story...don't sell them....hang onto them...
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Both look nice. You don't find deals like that anymore.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I like stories like this but it was the Falcon that got me. It's a TWIN to the one I had.

In 1966 I had just purchased a 1956 Ford 2 door hardtop, mint green and white. This was a beautiful, great running car, just needing a rear main seal in the old Y-block to stop an oil leak. I paid $16.00 for it....no scratches, no dents, just NICE.

It was cold weather and I was waiting for a warm day to install the rear main seal (didn't have a garage back then). My neighbor across the street had a Red Falcon, and a truck pulled into her driveway. The guy was talking to her about the Falcon and bought it. He saw me in my yard and came over. Told me that the Falcon's water pump had went out and she told someone she was going to sell it, so he came and bought it. Then he asked me about the 56, and I told him I was going to put the rear main seal in it when it got warm.

He said he had bought the Falcon for $15.00, and he'd give me the Falcon and $20.00 for the 56. SO, I got a free Falcon and made $4.00 profit. I put an $8.00 water pump on it, drove it for 2 years, and sold it for $46.00.

That's how I learned to make money. NOT a fortune, but money......
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Whew....not been on here in a while. Buried under a major home renovation. I've hauled quite a bit of 'materials' with my truck and today driving home from Lowes, I braked for a car that slowed and turned in front of me...heard a loud "bang" and lost brake pedal feel. I had posted on here about a universal master booster that I purchased from Pirate Jacks in Asheville, NC. It worked really well for the first year that I had it on the truck. A few months ago one of the mounting bolts for the master cylinder broke loose. Following the advices of 'many' I simply welded the bolt back to the booster body. Everything was fine until today....the bolt busted loose (again) under braking pressure. I just ordered another booster from Summit Racing....we'll see.....and, luckily, I had brakes enough to get home...just a hard pedal.
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

Just shows you can't trust a pirate. lol. Good thing you still had some brakes.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Summit Racing universal booster....it rocks! Still buried under a major home renovation. Built onto the back of my home...moved the stairway to the new addition and opened up the kitchen (actually doubled the size of the kitchen). Makes my wife very, very (x10, lol) happy. Be back here soon....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Cruise-in at West Jefferson NC today....I was the only Slick there. Mostly Chevrolet vehicles....not many Fords and a few Dodges. Sad....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Enjoying cruise-in season here in S.W. Virginia. Everyone is getting out and participating...I think that we are all tired of the (Covid) mess. Went to a local cruise-in Saturday night and even with thunderstorms in the area there was a decent turnout. Lots of Ford's and F-100's and F-150's....Everyone stay safe and enjoy the summer.

On another (quick) note, I have been researching A/C kits for my truck....does anyone want to buy a kidney?
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

A close friend came by today...I wasn't expecting him. He just bought this '66 F-100 Custom Cab a few weeks ago. Only 35000 miles. I grabbed my camera and shot some pics...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Some cruise-ins...a "tear down" to resurface the flywheel and install a new pilot bearing to fix some clutch chatter...replace a leaking freeze plug...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Not truck related...but again, it is...preparing my garage for pouring concrete. Hoping to get this done in the next few weeks...I'm tired of working on gravel. Miscellaneous pics from January of last year...
As I understand, this will make my truck much happier, lol...and me too!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Some screeding and prep for the concrete today. Work awhile in the 89 degree weather and go in and cool off awhile..and of course some truck shots...lol...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Pouring concrete tomorrow...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Concrete poured on Thursday...I had two extra helpers, my neighbors boys, they loved it!
Finished floor...
Waiting for it to dry, resize the doors and plan to pour an apron in a few weeks.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Well...it was a good day at my house today....UPS brought me a package!
So I got busy...
Today was the first parking in the garage after waiting for the concrete to set...didn't want to stain my new concrete...
It was a great day....
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

Congrats Steve, isn't it great to have a concrete floor? I had stone for my garage floor for over 30 years and when we put down concrete it was great, no more crawling around on stone. Enjoy.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

grump wrote:Congrats Steve, isn't it great to have a concrete floor? I had stone for my garage floor for over 30 years and when we put down concrete it was great, no more crawling around on stone. Enjoy.
Thanks! Yep...I had dirt/grass...then pea gravel...neither was good to work on...
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

thats a nice wheel steve.where did it come from?enjoy the concrete.im going to pour some myself this spring so at least i have a pad to work on instead of grass and dirt.i dont have a garage but concrete is a definite upgrade.