Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

This was a year or two later...I removed the wood to repaint it (Rustoleum gloss black) and the inner bed sides...
The bed floor is in worse shape than the pic shows...
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Yeah, that bed is in rough shape. How are the outside panels?
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

04sd wrote:Yeah, that bed is in rough shape. How are the outside panels?
Not really great...I'm keeping an eye out for another bed. When I have the money, I can't find a bed...when I find a bed, I've spent the money...lol.
There's some bondo on the drivers side. This is a 'before' pic...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

With this Polar Vortex thingy going on...no workie workie on the garage today. The wind is howling and that would make installing rafters so much fun!

Taking in-laws for cataract surgery tomorrow, which take alllll day. And the weather is supposed to be much colder....

Maybe Friday...
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Yeah, looks like another bed may be your best option but that's not an easy thing to find in the NE. I prefer the stylesides but a flareside is probably easier to find.
Bill
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Rafters are set...

It is supposed to be warmer weather in our area of S.W. Virginia for the next week. Fly rafters installation today and some additional bracing. Metal roofing will arrive on Monday. Maybe, by the end of next week it will be enclosed before the cold sets in again. I will have somewhere dry to work on the truck.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

You're coming along nicely with your garage and you're going to enjoy it so much. Are you going to put any kind of insulation board or bubble wrap between your nailer boards and your metal siding? That can make a big difference when you're trying to warm it up in the winter. It helps with condensation if you want to insulate down the line. I've been watching your truck build and now your garage, keep up the good work.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks Grump. I am going to put metal on the roof to match my house and I am using T1-11 for siding. Going to paint the siding white. I'm going to put a vapor barrier down over the rafters, then furring strips and then the metal roof. We did my neighbor's roof with metal right over the rafters and he has condensation dripping on him all the time :roll: :roll: :shock: :? I didn't think about that... I am planning to later, as money permits, insulate the sides and cover the inside walls with OSB. Installing gravel for now, but later the plan is to level the floor and pour a concrete pad. Then I will be in heaven...

Finishing lunch and back at it....still have fly rafters to install...

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Roof metal being picked up this afternoon. Started screwing T1-11 siding on...making some progress. Weather is supposed to be 'Spring-like' this week, I'm taking advantage of it...
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

Looks good. I like the looks of t1-11 but you don't want your fill dirt on the outside touching the bottom of it, it wicks moisture really bad. I've tried heavily painting and staining the bottom edges and it works for a while. I still like the looks of it. You're gonna love that garage.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks grump....I almost finished one side with roofing today. I have some white vinyl flashing that I am going to install around the bottom between the T1-11 and the ground. I have to go back and install more screws into the roofing, install the other side, ridge cap and the rakes and the roof will be finished. I have to go get more T1-11 to finish the sides. I am also installing 'fixed" 6 pane windows in the gable ends for extra lighting...

It was a productive day.....tired.....
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Looking good Steve, you're really going to enjoy having a garage, and you'll have the roof on just in time for the rain this week.

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks Jon. I'm looking forward to finishing it and having a place to work on my vehicles out of the weather. Today I finished installing metal roof on the other side and the rakes are installed but need to be trimmed and folded. Hoping to get the ridge-cap installed tomorrow and finish the roofing part. I screwed some windows in place in the rear gable to see how they will look. It will provide extra light without compromising security.

Stay tuned...I'm going to do something Slick related soon....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Rainy day yesterday...did not get anything done on the garage, except some framing for the side door (some call it a 'man door'...but in our society today that is sexist, lol, because my wife will use it too... "people door" maybe? or "human door"...we'll see....lol.) Going today to purchase the remaining T1-11 siding, trim, electrical panel and romex. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be nice weather wise. Hoping for enough sun to dry the metal roof so that I can install the ridge cap and be finished with that part of the build.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:except some framing for the side door (some call it a 'man door'...but in our society today that is sexist, lol, because my wife will use it too... "people door" maybe? or "human door"...we'll see....lol.)
Lol..... lets just call it " a gender-neutral door ", Steve your doing a great job on your garage, I wonder sometimes how the next generation will tackle problems, the small issues seem to cause them so much trauma I'd hate to think what a real problem will do to them, of course I'm sure our parents thought the same thing about us didn't they?

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Progress! Still much to do...
We're in for a nasty weather week-end. Hoping to finish the siding on Monday, then start wiring...

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Still good progress for a winter time build and at least you're under roof now.
Bill
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Not much today...was able to get the last 2 pieces on the front. I still need to trim out the doorway and around the front and rear windows. Still much to do...But, as Bill noted, I am 'under roof' now...
The T1-11 looks like plain plywood in the pictures...so I might install batten strips over the T1-11 before it paint it.

Getting the 'man door' on Monday and planning on installing it...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Rainy but warmer today...I'm going to get the 'man door' installed and frame out the garage door. I need to go back and finish screwing the T1-11 fully down and trim the rakes on the roof. Detail work...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Rain...rain....rain....I'm starting to mold. Cool and rainy again today, but I'm going to try to get a little bit more done. I'm really wanting to clean up the truck (and my car.) Man door is in place, it had been stored in a friend's basement for several years so it is dirty, dusty and crusty. It has some rust at the bottom, but not anything that I can't repair. The garage door area is trimmed out and I got a little bit more of the siding screwed down yesterday. I still need to get on the roof and put a few more screws in the metal. I'm down to detail work such as trim, etc. Then get some paint on it. I'm working on some ideas for the garage doors, but haven't decided yet what I am going to do...leaning toward "swing out" doors for now. I can build a set with windows fairly easily....

Anyway...stay tuned...the sun is going to come out....sometime....we just have 5 more weeks of winter according to the calendar....
1964 F-100