7.3L in '66

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Hawk
United States of America

7.3L in '66

Post by Hawk »

Well I finally decided what direction to go with my 66 F250. I have had it a few years now and rebuilt the engine and upgraded the brakes and suspension, but the old girl just isn't heavy enough for the towing I do. A neighbor had a 90 F350 with a 7.3 and a 5 speed OD that he practically gave to me, so after going through the engine the 66 is going on the 1990 frame. I will have the newer ride and frame design coupled with the beauty of the slick. Come along for the ride I hope to be able to get it together before the end of the year since I have to complete trucks.

A few pictures to show what the 66 looked like when I brought her home.

How she looked after I got her on the road

Now a few of the 90 sorry didn't get any before I stripped it. It's pretty long wish I had a 66 crew cab. :(

The 7.3 after I went through it.

And how it looks now with the engine and trans back in and 28" cut out of the frame.

That's where I am now I hope to disassemble the 66 when I am off again in two weeks. I plan to fit everything then take it back apart to fix any rust that I find and paint it. Hopefully not much rust behind the fenders (fingers crossed lol) because there is very little any where else in the truck.
66 Camper Special on 1990 F350 chassis with 7.3L IDI diesel and 5 speed
thenephilm
United States of America

Re: 7.3L in '66

Post by thenephilm »

Did you do anything to narrow the track width of your new frame and suspension? I believe the front track width of a slick is around 61" and a 1990 ford is closer to 79". Your tires might stick out a bit in the front otherwise.
Hi I'm Justin.
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

I have not. My 66 has a '88 10.25" "Sterling" rear in it now and the front and rear track width are exactly the same. It also has '78 front suspension with disk brakes. So I am thinking that it should all work out but I may be wrong, but thanks for the heads up. :thumright:
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Not much happening this time off shift. I've been called in on overtime everyday so far. I did get the front end and cab off the 66. Only broke three bolts in the front end. :woohoo: I also have the cab placed on the new frame. The front mount are close but are too low, the rear ones are about two inches narrower on the cab than on the frame. I think I can just use some spacers up front like on a body lift and drill two new holes in the rear. I have to work again tomorrow so unless I'm off Wednesday I will have to wait another week to work on it. :cussing: Try to get some more pictures next time too
390fastback
Canada

Post by 390fastback »

Any progress is good progress, keep it up!
62 short-uni, cv front swap, 4.6/auto
plus many other's!
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Managed to get the cab and most of the front end mocked up and mounted before going back to work last week. I will be getting off thursday so I hope to finish up the mounting and move on to steering column and brake booster. Might even get some wiring mocked up. Hope to get you guys some pictures this coming week.
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Got some pictures taken of the progress so far. Can't wait to get to that first start up point.
A couple of general pics to show how it sits on the frame

These two show how the inner fenders fit, not much room but it fits :D They also show the booster and clutch master cylinder mounted up
This is the steering column mounted out of the 90' fits pretty good
And this shows the core support, I basically cut the '90 support around the mounts so I could use the radiator for the 7.3 and then cut the '66 support to fit and "stuck" them together. Gave me the best of both worlds, allowed the use of all stock frame mounts on '90 frame and the fenders easily bolt up to the '66 section of core support.
That's all I've got done so far, I did get the '90 gauge cluster mounted and am working on the surround but don't have any pictures of that yet. I have a little bit of rust to fix in the kick panels and the it will be time to disassemble and get cab ready to paint. After that is done I will tackle the bed :shock:
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

That's gonna be a sweet ride.Keep the pics coming :cheers:

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

That's a great job of repurposing a chassis and drive train. Keep us updated.

What line of business are your in? Sounds as though you work shift work. I do the same which affords me week days off during the week. Makes working 2 weekends out of the month worth it.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Love it, never ceases to amaze me at how good you guys are with fab work! I can only dream......
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Looking great. Really like the use of the newer column (others may be able to use that bit of info on their builds) and your method of making one core support out of the 2 you had to work with.

Keep up the great work!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

orangeRcode wrote:That's a great job of repurposing a chassis and drive train. Keep us updated.

What line of business are your in? Sounds as though you work shift work. I do the same which affords me week days off during the week. Makes working 2 weekends out of the month worth it.
Thanks orange, I work at a power plant in the fuel department. We have an awesome schedule we work 8 10's and then have 6 days off.
Leeroy wrote:Love it, never ceases to amaze me at how good you guys are with fab work! I can only dream......
Thanks Leeroy
LM14 wrote:Looking great. Really like the use of the newer column (others may be able to use that bit of info on their builds) and your method of making one core support out of the 2 you had to work with.

Keep up the great work!

SPark
Thanks Spark

I have actually gotten some paint on the truck, but I dont have any pictures yet. Back at work this week won't be off til next thursday evening so it will be a little bit before I can post some more pictures for you guys.

I will have an entire 66' F250 longbed chassis with rebuilt 352 and cruise-o-matic for sale as soon as I can get the rest of the body off of it. It has been upgraded with 78' disk brakes in the front. I also have the radiator to go with the engine and trans. If anyone is interested just PM me. I don't get on here as often as I would like but I will try to do a better job. lol
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i like it

lots of those trucks around here, guess i should be looking for one (in 4x4) and a slick cab.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Hawk wrote:[Thanks orange, I work at a power plant in the fuel department. We have an awesome schedule we work 8 10's and then have 6 days off.
I'm a powerplant operator. We work the Dupont schedule of rotating 12 hour shifts. Sucks to go from nights to days and back especially on the short turnaround but working 14 out of 28 and having 8 days off every cycle makes it worth it.

Keep up the great work brother!
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Our operators work that shift too, but I don't think I could do the turn arounds.
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Well I finally got a few progress photos. I have managed to get the cab in paint, the doors put back together and am now starting to make the wire harness from the '90 work with the '66 cab.
Just a few showing the paint and the grill after putting it back together

One of the inside of the door
And one of the dash, it is made out of the '66 surround and bits and pieces of the '90 dash. It has the fuel tank selector switch in place of one gauge and on the other side is the "wait to start" light. Turned out better than I expected, although it could use a bit more sanding.
Unfortunately the other things I have been doing are hard to take pictures of like sorting out wires but I am making progress and that's what counts!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Did I miss something? Aren't the brake booster and clutch cylinder reversed? How does that work?

1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Sharp eyes,
The pedals out of the '90 had a cross over type arm that puts the clutch master on the passenger side of the brake master.
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Well I don't have pictures or video yet, but I did have it running Wednesday afternoon. Hope to bleed brakes and figure out a few electrical gremlins when I am off again next week. If I get that done it may get a victory lap around the farm. :rocker:
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Nice!