64 F100 Automatic shift steering column

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

CSmalley
United States of America

64 F100 Automatic shift steering column

Post by CSmalley »

I have a question guys. I have searched this topic for a while and not really seen a clear answer.

My truck has a 3 on the tree manual column. I want to put in an automatic tranny but dont want to put the shifter on the floor. I know that the 64 auto column is hard to find so... does anyone know where I can get one or does anyone know what kind of column will fit in the truck right with modifications? Has anyone on here cut the steering shaft above the box and installed a "rag joint" to put in a different year and or model column? Thanks.
bird55
United States of America

Re: 64 F100 Automatic shift steering column

Post by bird55 »

Like you said the column is hard to find. Not many auto 64's I'm sure. But I'm interested to know what you find out about this. Had my chance to but one once but it got away. Woulda shoulda coulda.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You will run into more problems than you might think trying to adapt a column. Not only is the steering different but the angle of the column is different. Take a look at where the column goes thru the floor on the 64 and then look at where it goes with the 65. I'm sure something can be adapted but not certain this is the way to go. I have a 63 I bought several years ago that I intend to use some day, but who knows when. It was scarce then and even more scarce today. Willin to sell it but price would be high. It wasn't cheap when I bought it and that was several years ago. What did with my truck was splice part of a later column and my 64. This was before I found the 63 column. Forget what I did but it involved cutting and welding on the outside tube to make it all come out ok.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

I'm using a column on my 62 that I got from a friend. He said it came from a 1964 Fairlane?.. It's around 2" shorter than the truck column.
I removed the rag joint flange to expose the 3/4 36 spline shaft.
Then i cut the shaft coming out of the box and milled two .100 deep flats on it. 3/4 DD.
I found a joint at Summit to join the two. They also list a rag joint to do the same connection.

Randall
CSmalley
United States of America

Post by CSmalley »

Nice looking work there Randall. Thanks for the reply too. I will look into that.
64f100sixcylinder

Post by 64f100sixcylinder »

Why can't a 65 or newer column be used? Isn't it possible to remove the 65 steering shaft from the auto column, and then slide the automatic column shell over the 64 steering shaft?? Seems like that would be a simple solution, if possible. This was going to be my plan but I decided to keep the 3 speed on column
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

The bottom of the 64 column has a different arrangement and goes over the boss on the steering box and has a rubber seal. In addition there is a difference in length. In addition, there was even a difference in length from 63 to 64 if I remember right. Wasn't much , something like a quarter inch. As to the use of a later column , it may be possible . You would have to play with one to figure it out. Again these are not cheap so hopefully you can borrow one to do your experimenting.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I haven't ever looked in to doing this so there may be a very obvious reason it won't work but my initial thought is to modify the 3 spd shifter on your current column rather than changing out the entire column.

The 'up & down' motion wouldn't be needed/used but I would think the rotational motion could work for an automatic if you modify the bracket and linkage at the bottom. You would also want to add an indicator of some kind.

Again, i may be over simplifying this but it might be worth exploring further.... :?: :?
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan