63 tranny swap

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63 wrongbed
United States of America

63 tranny swap

Post by 63 wrongbed »

Hello everybody, new to site, 1st post, I have a 63 with a 292, 3 on the tree. I want to put in a automatic tranny, I was wondering what tranny would bolt up to the 292 without major modifications. The reason for this is I have bad ankles and arthritis in the knees, any help would be appreciated
Thanks
longcabjohn
United States of America

Re: 63 tranny swap

Post by longcabjohn »

Probably get a better response of posted in truck talk, projects & builds is more for showing what you have done. I think you will need a trans that came from a 292 as most ford engine are different as to engine family.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

Honestly, you are out of luck. It can be done but.......

You can find 50s automatics namely the Fordamatic. Now many think Fordamatics were 2 speed but actually the earlier and better ones were were three speeds but drove like 2 speeds. As with a lot of FoMoCo stuff it's technical :roll: .....you can look it up if you wish. In the late 50s the true 2 speed Fordamatic was offered. These are not real desirable. Then you have the later 50s Cruiseomatics they were heavier duty and were and operated as true three speeds. Most of these were offered with Y blocks.
With that said a 50s auto bell housing may not mount like a truck ....IE missing the ears for the rear truck cross member.

So some 50s and early 60s autos can bolt to a Y but they may not be of good quality and may not be a simple mount.

There are aftermarket companies like Trans-Dapt, Speed way and Flat-O-Matic. These companies offer adapters for the Y block for C-4,6 and AOD. These kits are pricey though and you will still have to deal with the cross member mount issue. Personally I think a Y with it's front engine mount adapted to a later model tail shaft mount transmission still needs support in the middle.

Of course there is always the option of later model engine and transmission.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
63 wrongbed
United States of America

Post by 63 wrongbed »

longcabjohn wrote:Probably get a better response of posted in truck talk, projects & builds is more for showing what you have done. I think you will need a trans that came from a 292 as most ford engine are different as to engine family.

Johnny
thanks, I wasn't sure where to post it
63 wrongbed
United States of America

Post by 63 wrongbed »

64 litl un wrote:Honestly, you are out of luck. It can be done but.......

You can find 50s automatics namely the Fordamatic. Now many think Fordamatics were 2 speed but actually the earlier and better ones were were three speeds but drove like 2 speeds. As with a lot of FoMoCo stuff it's technical :roll: .....you can look it up if you wish. In the late 50s the true 2 speed Fordamatic was offered. These are not real desirable. Then you have the later 50s Cruiseomatics they were heavier duty and were and operated as true three speeds. Most of these were offered with Y blocks.
With that said a 50s auto bell housing may not mount like a truck ....IE missing the ears for the rear truck cross member.

So some 50s and early 60s autos can bolt to a Y but they may not be of good quality and may not be a simple mount.

There are aftermarket companies like Trans-Dapt, Speed way and Flat-O-Matic. These companies offer adapters for the Y block for C-4,6 and AOD. These kits are pricey though and you will still have to deal with the cross member mount issue. Personally I think a Y with it's front engine mount adapted to a later model tail shaft mount transmission still needs support in the middle.

Of course there is always the option of later model engine and transmission.
Thanks for the info, I was told by a guy at a f100 truck show that a c6 would bolt right up, I'm looking for some more opinions