longtubes for a 390 on a 65

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

muskrat2000

longtubes for a 390 on a 65

Post by muskrat2000 »

who here has headers on there slick and how hard were they to install. wanting to install them on my 65 with a 390/c6 combo
I HAVE A 65 FORD F100 AND A 2000 GT MUSTANG
bruceandersson

Re: longtubes for a 390 on a 65

Post by bruceandersson »

Go with ceramic coated to cut some of the heat and think about the smaller gear reduction starter to avoid problems with the heat. I installed a set on a 360 years ago. The problem with all FEs is that the top exhaust bolts are open to the weather and tend to be hard to get out. Be prepared for a few of these to break off.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

bruceandersson wrote:The problem with all FEs is that the top exhaust bolts are open to the weather and tend to be hard to get out. Be prepared for a few of these to break off.
there are 2 things to be done to prevent this issue

#1- make sure the top bolts do not stick out the back end. they should only be long enough to fill all the threads in the head.
#2- and its as important as #1- use plenty of anti-seize on the top bolts

if you do this you greatly reduce the likelihood of breaking bolts
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Yes sir Brian. I bet we have a lot of folks here who have had
a ''Go Round'' with exhaust bolts breaking off on FEs. I know I have.
Hate it when that happens. Anti-seize is your best friend on those.
Got a 390 I will no doubt have issues with when I finally get around
to working on it. Any good suggestions on getting those old bolts
out during a teardown? TR
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I have had very little problems with the top ones on the old FE's. A good penetrant and a judicious amount of heat has served me well on these. The lower ones can require a bit more effort; it's not as easy to heat them where needed. Repeat cycles of penetrant and running the engine to operating temperature when possible makes them less a challenge.
Starting out with a good quality six point socket such as Snap-on's Flank Drive is well worth the additional cost, also, IMO. If the engine is out of the vehicle, a hand-held spring-hammer impact driver is sometimes easier on the old cap screws than simply a hard-hitting powered impact. If you happen to break one, a quality left-handed cobalt bit will usually make short work of removal when space is available.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
BrianMadigan

Post by BrianMadigan »

I have long tube headers, but the whole exhaust was replaced when they were put in. The flanges were not so good after the collectors, so I'm re-doing from the headers back with welded flanges, stainless flex pipes and copper gaskets. If you're switching from the cast-iron manifolds to long tubes, you'll want new pipes and a cross pipe before the mufflers probably.
muskrat2000

Post by muskrat2000 »

sorry it for taking so long to reply thanks for the advice and the bolts are a problem my manifolds are warped and cracked. so when I removed them 2 of the bolts on the passengers side broke so I will have them drilled and fixed when I go back with the headers. holley has set of there flowtech headers for 158.00 dollars so that's the ones I am going with. the reviews looked good
I HAVE A 65 FORD F100 AND A 2000 GT MUSTANG