Look What I Bought - 62 Unibody

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Look What I Bought - 62 Unibody

Post by mercuryv8 »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVKMREAzpC0

Well I put some new ignition parts on, checked and primed the fuel system and it fired right up. The video is the second time I started it.

I couldn't get it to go into gear. I will have to look at that next time.

Nic
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Nic: Kooooool! If that shifting problem gets solved quickly, you may get to hit one of the LAST cruise nights of the year
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

mercuryv8 wrote: Came with a good story as well. I bought it from the grandson of the original owner. He still had all of the original paperwork,hubcaps,keys,spare. He said he was driving it up till about 15 years ago. Then he parked it inside. Nic
mercuryv8 wrote: Well I put some new ignition parts on, checked and primed the fuel system and it fired right up. Nic
Too Cool, Nic!

Any good guess as to when it was last ran?

Would you care to share a pic or two of the interior and under the hood?

Ryan
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

The fellow said its been 15 years since he ran it. It seems to have been very well maintained. I think it was undercoated at one point too. It certainly needs mounts and the floor above the mounts. And lower door pillar.

I will take some pics so you guys can see the inside.

Even has an aftermarket AM radio. LoL
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Nic,
What does your new-to-you '62 Uni have for an engine, a 223" 6-cylinder?

I'll bet that 15-year old motor oil was nasty! :shock:

Probably a change of transmission fluid is in order - which may cure the shifting issue?

BarnieTrk
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

That's it, the 223 and a 3 spd on the column.

I don't think changing fluid in the transmission is going to help. It sounded as if one gear was not meshing with the other. Next time I get to work on it I'm going to look at the clutch, make sure its all in order.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Not going into gear could be a number of things. I'd check the clutch first. If the truck has been sitting that long, the clutch disk may have stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate. Remove the inspection plate and have someone depress the pedal. Use a putty knife and make sure it frees up from both sides. It could also be bad linkage or internal transmission problems.
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

bruceandersson wrote: If the truck has been sitting that long, the clutch disk may have stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate. Remove the inspection plate and have someone depress the pedal.
This type of clutch seizure is due to long term moisture exposure. I have experienced what you are saying. Although my vehicle was inside a garage, it was a damp garage. I've had my clutch disc become stuck to the flywheel/pressure plate and the symptom wasn't that it would go into gear, rather the seized friction plate didn't allow the transmission from disengaging from the engine, so I had to jack up the rear end to start the vehicle (with wheels turning) then hit the brakes to free the clutch disc........ For this reason many manufacturers recommend that for long term storage you place some sort of block (i.e., such as a short section of wood 2x4) in the clutch linkage to keep the clutch disengaged and preventing it to seize to the pressure plate or flywheel.

BarnieTrk :2cents:
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

bruceandersson wrote:Not going into gear could be a number of things. I'd check the clutch first. If the truck has been sitting that long, the clutch disk may have stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate. Remove the inspection plate and have someone depress the pedal. Use a putty knife and make sure it frees up from both sides. It could also be bad linkage or internal transmission problems.
Good thinking about the putty knife. That will tell me if the clutch and the linkage is working well enough to disengage the input shaft from the engine.

Nic