NoLimit Engineering Rear Tank

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

White97

NoLimit Engineering Rear Tank

Post by White97 »

After looking at all the options I decided to go with a NoLimit Engineering 17 Gallon tank. They have a 21 gallon version, but the 17 drops in with no frame mods. The tank also installs from underneath with no need to remove bed. Quality seems to be really nice. Coated so it should remain clean looking for a long time. Tank is aluminum with internal baffles. I went with the standard cap option and got a fuel door from CCP. Takes the fuel sending unit that is in the original tank, which is good because mine is new. Will hopefully have time to start install on Saturday.

Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
White97

Re: NoLimit Engineering Rear Tank

Post by White97 »

Well best laid plans. They sent me a 1960 tank. Hopefully next weekend I have the right one.

UPDATE - talked to NoLimit this morning, tank is correct, person taking order told me I could use my new sending unit, after speaking to Rob he said the tank requires a different one, said he was sorry for error, cut me a better price, should be here Wednesday.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
White97

Post by White97 »

UPDATE:
Well according to their web site and what the woman taking the order said, this tank would fit in with no modifications. Yet another bit of mis-information. I had to pop the bed off and flip the rear cross member. Now I bought the 17 gallon version because I didn't want to deal with this mod, but looks like that wasn't meant to be. So removing the bed by myself using an engine hoist was a bit of a pain. I flipped the cross member and dry fit the tank. Finally it fits. I re-installed the bed and finished up for the weekend. Saturday I hope to finally install and plumb tank. Three weeks wasted because the order taker didn't know their product. Same amount of work as if I bought the 21 gallon version.

:cussing:
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

So, just as their company name implies, this is what you have to do when purchasing their products. :D

sorry you had trouble, I thought the members on this site had figured out how this should be done with a Mustang tank for less? just asking.
White97

Post by White97 »

Ha! Thanks Bird. Everything is all set and ready to install tank on Saturday. Info on their web site is all wrong for Fords, but tank quality is fantastic.

I considers three options before deciding on the NoLimit Tank:

Replace original.
Really didn't like all the noise the tank produced in the cab, Hate, repeat HATE, spraying paint, and this tank would have to be sprayed adding to the cost.

Mustang Tank
Really was leaning to this, but it is steel and truck sits a lot, so I was concerned about it getting rusty inside like the original, although my buddy said I would be senile before that happened. Plus any issue where I have to get to bolts or remove bed would require removing the tank

NoLimit
Aluminum, installs from underneath, clear PVC coated, so it should look new for quite some time, baffled. Again, had I known both the 17 and 21 gallon tank required the same work I would have gone with the 21 gallon for $20 more.

I'll post pics of it when I'm done.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
White97

Post by White97 »

Well after moving cross member and shaving a bit off the frame lip the tank is in and fits perfect. Tank is back out while I bodywork the filler area a bit. Hope to have that all welded up this Sunday.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
White97

Post by White97 »

Well this job is finally done! Flipped and moved rear cross member, reinstalled bed, then finished up. Put some gas in and took it for a spin. Just have to weld patch over old filler hole in cab.

Cutting patch in to allow filler cap to lay flat

Filler cap installed

Tank installed and plumbed.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed