'62 F100 SWB Step Side - yes another Crown Vic swap

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Blanger
United States of America

Re: '62 F100 SWB Step Side - yes another Crown Vic swap

Post by Blanger »

So its been a long time since I've made a post on projects, its been a crazy year for all of us and I hope everyone is doing well.

On the last post we were working on the '53 COE, for most of the last year it has been all I have worked on, because of the size of the truck once its in the shop nothing else can really be worked on unless its moved back out. At this point it is over 95% complete still needing a headliner and floor mat/carpet (whichever we choose), it has made server road trips of 50 miles or less and has been better than we ever thought it would in just about every way.

So I'll just try to pickup where I left off with the doors, most of this will just be pictures with a little text where things need a explanation.

Then it was on to the skirting for the bed.

Once it was all installed then the bed got painted to match the cab.

Then on to the exhaust..

The Cherry Bomb muffler has been replaced with a "turbo" muffler which made the driving experience much more enjoyable.... ;)

The doors got their artwork.

Even got a little pinstripe in a few places.

Wood was cut for the bed floor (wormy maple).

D rings were added and we built a box to fill in between the stacks.

The front bumper got mounted which I have no pictures of.... sorry.

This is how the truck looks today.....

A lot of other things have been done to the truck that were not pictured, we added a heater which was made for a side by side that works great I think it is something crazy like 35k BTU, the entire inside of the cab got dynamat type of insulation applied, speaker box was fabricated for behind the seat, and the original seat was recovered with foam added in all the right places...lol

That's pretty much it, the truck runs and drives great, the small cab isn't the most comfortable thing but you have to have a few tradeoffs when your doing a build like this, still all in all its not that bad and the truck has no problem cruising along at 70 mph on the interstate.

All the other trucks are doing fine, we are considering selling the unibody since being retired I don't drive as much, we also bought our next project which doesn't fit here at Slick 60's at all but regardless the next project is this....

It's a '78 K5 Blazer that runs and drives, it does need lots of sheet metal work but is worth the effort to restore it to a nice truck, not showroom new but a nice good looking driver if you know what I mean.

Jon
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Re: '62 F100 SWB Step Side - yes another Crown Vic swap

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Great to hear from you Jon, been wondering what you've been up too. Thanks for the update on the COE, it sure is a nice looking rig! Good luck with the K5, those have become very popular as you are well aware of I'm sure.