Truck keeps shutting off

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mac
United States of America

Truck keeps shutting off

Post by mac »

Maybe someone can help diagnose my problem. All summer I've been having problems with the truck randomly shutting off going down the road; and then it won't restart unless it sits for hours. It started when I changed from an electric fuel pump to a carter mechanical pump. Got it towed home once or twice. I figured it was vapor lock so I switched to fuel hose. Then I tried running the electric and the mechanical pumps simultaneously. Now I'm back to just the original electric; which has worked fine for years but it did it again. I have taken the top off of the carb when this happens and there is always fuel in the bowl. However if you press down on the float a bunch of frothy fuel comes shooting out. Is that right?
64 f100 shortbox 292 3spd
castruck_1964
Canada

Re: Truck keeps shutting off

Post by castruck_1964 »

nope you are getting vapour lock / gas boiling in the line
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I had a truck that ran like crap
I could NOT figure it out
Seemed like it ran short of fuel
Took the line off at the carb
The electric pump shoved plenty of fuel there
After doing many other things
I swapped another fuel pump on
BINGO ! ... ran perfect !
The pump would pump ... but zero pressure
I would do 3 things
Check the lines from tank to pump (sucking air ?)
Filters .... (I doubt it's this , but it's cheap)
New quality fuel pump
I buy the heavy duty ones at NAPA (about $80)
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
redstone65
United States of America

Post by redstone65 »

Maybe a carb spacer would help? Also, I wonder if the gas tank has a venting issue. :2cents:
Dave

1965 F-100 Flareside (240 6-cyl)
3 speed. Former military truck.
mac
United States of America

Post by mac »

Thanks for the input. I also did new cap and plug wires. Does anyone think it could be the coil or something?

I'm going to buy a fuel cap to eliminate that and do a carb rebuild (it's been a couple of years.) If that doesn't get it i'll try a new electric pump. That seems unlikely because it does the same thing with a brand new mechanical pump or the functional old electric. The fuel hose is all pretty new. It has a spacer between the carb and intake manifold.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Ignition related could be possible. How old is your coil?
I had a 65 with a 352 that randomly started acting up like you describe. I thought I had vapor lock. Turns out my starter was getting too hot and didn’t have enough oompf to restart the engine without it cooling down. Heat shield around the starter fixed my problem. Although mine was a different engine with aftermarket headers hugging the starter....
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Symptoms of a coil going south on you.

Fred
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Symptoms of a coil going south on you.

Fred
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Don't know, but somehow managed to double post.

Fred
mac
United States of America

Post by mac »

So I ordered a coil and am in the middle of rebuilding the carb. When I pulled it off the phenolic spacer cracked. Can't find the right replacement anywhere. Holley makes a similar one but according to some guys on FTE it causes vacuum leaks. Anyone know where I can get one?
mongrot
Canada

Post by mongrot »

If you can see gas spraying from the accelerator nozzle when you look down the carb with the air cleaner removed and work the pedal linkage and it doesn't fire up again it's spark related. My guess is coil. Might have spark, but not enough to run.
-'61 F100 short box flareside (classic street rod) 223, 4spd
-'62 F100 long box unibody (murdered out) 460, C6
-'66 F100 long box flareside (original) 240, 4spd
-'64 F100 long box styleside (pro-street) 307 GM, 700R4
-'64 F100 long box styleside (daily driver) 223, 3spd
-'65 F100 long box styleside (original) 240, 4spd
-'66 M100 long box styleside (sold) 240, 4spd
-'64 F250 long wrongbox styleside (sold) 292, 4spd
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I'd also look into the coil as possibly being your problem. I had a friend with the same problem. I told him to bring it over and I'd check it out for him (we're not too far apart). About 15 minutes later he called and said he didn't make it, it cut off and he was on the side of the road. I got my car hauler and headed his way. When I got there, the first thing I checked was the carb (a local mechanic who mainly works on late model cars told him he needed a NEW one).
Looked over in the carb, he hit the accelerator, and 2 streams of gas shot out as it should, so I told him to try and start it. It fired right up so I told him I'd follow him on to my place. We didn't quite make it, it cut off again with less than a 1/2 mile to go.

This time I checked the carb, and had the 2 streams of gas again. Then I started to remove the distributor cap, and in the process my arm gently came in contact with the coil, and QUICKLY came back OFF the coil. It was so hot it burned the hockey out of me (don't try this at home). I asked if he had a bottle of water and he did behind the seat. I poured it on the coil to cool it off, and and it fired right up.

When we got to my place, I had a parts truck around back, so I took the coil off that and put it on his truck and it hasn't stopped since.

It very well could be.